Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another rivalry series for the Flyers, with almost a full week off since sending the Penguins packing.

Devils wrapped up an intense double OT Game 7 to advance.

This is going to be a tougher series for both teams, for sure. If the Flyers get Bryz of March or Game 6 for the series, Flyers in 5. Bryz has played really well against the Devils this year and his Game 6 win should give hime a boost of confidence going into Round 2, somewhere he's never been before. Flyers have too much power and depth on offense and their PP is going to be key as the Devils have been polar opposites from the regular season to the first round on their PK.

If they can get Grossman and Meszaros back, that'd be a huge boost as well.

Brodeur is going to be the difference maker for the Devils, and I fully expect him to provide better goaltending than MAF did for the Pens, but I think the speed and depth of the Flyers is going to overwhelm the Devils. The Devils have struggled to maintain leads against Florida, and I honestly think Philly is in a different league offensively right now than Florida and they're going to give the Devils fits.

Flyers scored 30 goals in 6 games and the Devils put up 18 in 7 games. Flyers have 15 even strength goals and 15 special teams goals (12 PP/23 chances, 3 shorties). NJ's penalty kill is the worst of the teams left and was only better than Pittsburgh's. If that trend continues, it could get ugly if the Devils put the Flyers on the power play. Flyers' PK wasn't great either and is only a few percentage points ahead of the Devils, but they played the Pens, who are offensively a far superior team to the Devils.

Mr. Kovalchuk, meet Sean Couturier, aka Mr. Shutdown.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The reason the Flyers will lose this series is because all they can hope for is "Bryz of March" to show up. Dude is Jekyll and Hyde. Cant win with a goalie who is that inconsistent.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason the Flyers will lose this series is because all they can hope for is "Bryz of March" to show up. Dude is Jekyll and Hyde. Cant win with a goalie who is that inconsistent.
And I said in the first round if they didn't get solid goaltending from Bryz, they'd be out in 5.

Obviously, with the Flyers offense and PP, they got the job done and then played a complete team game in Game 6.

The Flyers offense and PP is capable of destroying just about any team right now if they keep it up. I doubt they score 5 goals/game for the series, but if the Devils give the Flyers power play opportunities, and Brodeur isn't stellar, it could get ugly.

The Pens defense was pretty soft and MAF didn't play that well except for parts of Game 4 and 5 or get that much support, but he certainly wasn't a goalie that was bad enough to be solely responsible for 5 goals per game against.

Marty is going to be the key cog in this series. If he can somehow shut down the Flyers offense and Bryz doesn't give a March or Game 6 performance every night, the Devils definitely have a good chance to win. But, the numbers don't lie and Bryz has, throughout the entire season, not just March, played very well against the Devils.

swflyers already posted his 3-0, 0.29 GAA, .987 SV% against the Devils this year in another thread.

This is why we play the games. Pittsburgh was already being awarded the Cup before the playoffs started.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hear you. Numbers dont lie. But they also dont carry over from the regular season to the playoffs. Whatever numbers Bryz posted in the regular season dont matter anymore. MAF numbers were night and day from the regular season to the playoffs. It really is hard to judge the Flyers right now because that series they played was such a **** show.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you. Numbers dont lie. But they also dont carry over from the regular season to the playoffs. Whatever numbers Bryz posted in the regular season dont matter anymore. MAF numbers were night and day from the regular season to the playoffs. It really is hard to judge the Flyers right now because that series they played was such a **** show.
What is a huge question mark is will their power play success continue? Based on the Devils struggling with the Panthers' PP, which isn't as good as Philly's, that's a trend I hope to see continue for Philly.

Bryz is a huge question mark.

The Flyers depth on offense is not a question mark and they will challenge the Devils more than Florida did, and probably more so in their ability to come from behind, as they've done it all season and in the playoffs.

The Flyers defense and their health is also a question mark. Meszaros and Grossman are both skating with the team, but I'd be surprised if they're both ready for Game 1.

If JVR can find his game, especially his playoff game he's had in the past, that makes things tilt even further in Philly's favor.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
It's going to be an interesting series, that's for sure. I just hope this isn't a replay of the 2010 playoffs, when the Flyers were the absolute worst team the Devils could have matched up against. I think they're a little more evenly matched this time, but who knows.

The Devils have a lot of offense loaded up on the top line with Parise/Zajac/Kovalchuk and we all know the Flyers are going to concentrate on shutting them down. If they do, the second and third lines are going to need produce a lot more than they did against the Panthers. Elias and Clarkson in particular, who were both invisible for much of the first round.

My biggest worry is the Devils defense. They had trouble with the quicker Panthers forwards, and that doesn't bode well against some of the skill the Flyers have up front. The defense isn't the most mobile group and they don't add much offensively either.

The biggest question marks to me are the guys between the pipes. Brodeur was vintage Brodeur in Games 4, 6, and 7 against the Panthers, but the other games he gave up some questionable goals. He's almost 40 years old, so the consistency he once had just isn't there any more. And Bryzgalov, well I don't think I really need to say anything. Even Flyers fans will admit that he's been inconsistent this season.

My heart says the Devils will find a way to win this series, but my mind says the Flyers take it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Devils in six

Philadelphia's big loss to Pittsburgh 10-3 showed up
definite weaknesses in the defence. It will be the
Devils in six games.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im sorry but I agree with Mr. Bryant here. The FLyers/Penguins series was very entertaining but it also showed how sloppy and weak both those teams are. You can score all the goals in the world but it means nothing when you can't stop them. Both of those teams have leading goal scorers but both of those teams also have weak Defense. The main ingredient. It doesn't matter if the Bryz from March or the Bryz from game six shows up; none will compare to Marty Brodeur. That is the Devils will prevail and the Flyers will be nine holes behind the Penguins.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I'm not out of my mind---just accurate.

Let's just see the Flyers win this series! Ain't gonna
happen!
Im sorry but I agree with Mr. Bryant here. The FLyers/Penguins series was very entertaining but it also showed how sloppy and weak both those teams are. You can score all the goals in the world but it means nothing when you can't stop them. Both of those teams have leading goal scorers but both of those teams also have weak Defense. The main ingredient. It doesn't matter if the Bryz from March or the Bryz from game six shows up; none will compare to Marty Brodeur. That is the Devils will prevail and the Flyers will be nine holes behind the Penguins.
These are some homer posts here. Flyers/Pens is what happens when you put the top two offenses in the league against each other. Goals are going to get scored no matter who the goaltenders are. Malkin and Giroux combined for 212 points in the regular season. Goals had to get past goaltenders for those points to rack up, even against guys like Brodeur. That's just what happens.

Defense is important, but if you don't score goals, you can't win. There are no points for OT. There are no shootouts, Devils fans.

Marty isn't even in the top 5 in GAA or SV%. Look who is number 1 - Schneider...and he's not playing hockey any more this year. Guess where Marty and Bryz are tied - wins, at 4. Both won 4 games. Doesn't matter how you win. 30 goals in 6 games or 18 in 7 games. Both got the team 4 wins. Personally, I'd rather win the way the Flyers did than with a larger margin than a single goal in a Game 7 OT, and a single goal in the entire series. I'd rather my season not come down to a single goal deciding if I advance or join the offseason crowd because my offense can't muster enough goals to close out a team.

Defense and goaltending are important, no doubt, but you have to outscore your opponent. As obvious as that sounds, you both are acting like Brodeur is a 40-year-old water walker who will some how just stop the Flyers offense. 5 goals per game in the postseason, over 3 goals per game in the regular season. Marty is good, but the Devils penalty kill looked like garbage against the Panthers.

This is why we play the games. I honestly think the Devils are going to be overwhelmed by the Flyers speed and the only way this series gets beyond Flyers in 5 is if Marty plays out of his mind overall, but especially rebound control, and the Devils stay out of the box or figure out how to stop the Flyers PP.

Bring on Sunday.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to compare, and I know the regular season goes out the window during the second season, but there are some trends that can carry over.

Compare Brodeur vs Bryz during the regular season when playing the opponent:

Bryz went 3-0, 0.29 GAA, .987 SV% (1 goal, 2 SO) against the Devils
Brodeur went 1-3, 2.26 GAA, .905 SV%, against the Flyers

And just so we're not all hyped up about the month of March, Bryz's three wins came on 10/8, 1/21, 3/13. Only once during the month of March. Take out that game and he's still posting a 2-0, 0.50 GAA in the other two games.

Hedberg had a higher SV%, lower GAA, and more shutouts during the regular season than Marty, but you can ride Brodeur into the offseason and his retirement all you like.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
There are no points for OT. There are no shootouts, Devils fans.
What? There's no shootout in the playoffs? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The Devils will never win a playoff series...

What's that? They won a series, including two OT wins? But that can't be. There are no shootouts in the playoffs!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
MD, I think jt was referring to the Flyers ineptitude in the shootout, something that plagued us all year.

Anyway, I have to pick the Flyers in this. Call me a homer but I see this ending in 5. The Devils scratched and clawed out a series win over the Panthers, which is commendable but we are not the Panthers. This Flyers team is playing with more firepower and has shown they have the heart to make comebacks if they get down early, something the Devils let Florida do to them. Sorry, but this ain't Marty of the late 90s/early 2000s, he needs the entire team in front of him to play very good for them to win because he wont be stealing games by himself anymore. I know the Flyers dispatched the Penguins in 6 games but I don't feel as though people realize just how dominant they were. They outplayed the Pens in all but one game, which was not a showing of their true talent. If you point to that 10-3 and say look, that's why the Flyers will lose, you are highly underestimating this team and what they are capable of. Oh, and we might be getting two top defensemen back in Grossman and Meszaros, so I'm sure they will help out our "porous" defense. I can't wait for this series to start tomorrow and to see if Giroux will keep up his play because he took over game 6 against Pittsburgh early and I hope he can keep up that kind of intensity for however long we remain in the playoffs.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
MD, I think jt was referring to the Flyers ineptitude in the shootout, something that plagued us all year.
Sorry, all I've been hearing at one of the other places I post was how the Devils only made the playoffs because of the shootout and that they couldn't win in the playoffs because there was no shootout. I'm just tired of hearing about anything related to shootouts.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Let us not waste anymore time talking about the Flyers or Devils cause the Rangers are going all the way!
Right, all the way to not winning a Cup again. What is it now, one Cup in the last 70 years? No wonder the Rangers celebrate like they just won a Cup after every playoff win.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts