Belfour still an option

John Niyo / The Detroit News

Advertisement

GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
The Eagle still is in a holding pattern.

Veteran goaltender Ed Belfour's search for a new team took him to Florida this week, but talks with the Panthers have yet to produce a contract offer. In fact, TSN in Canada reported Thursday the negotiations were dead and a previous offer had been rescinded. Panthers officials later denied that story.

The Wings haven't changed their tune. After Belfour, 41, visited Detroit two weeks ago and received clearance from team doctors -- he's coming off April back surgery -- the Wings offered him a one-year contract worth slightly more than $500,000, plus incentives. The bonus money was a sticking point and Belfour's agent, Ron Salcer, turned to the Panthers.

The Wings also are exploring trade options for a starting goaltender, with Buffalo's Martin Biron of Buffalo and Vesa Toskala of San Jose among the targets.

"Nothing's changed for us," said Jim Nill, assistant general manager of the Wings. "(Belfour) is on our list of guys that we're looking at. And we'll continue to negotiate."

Nill also said talks with restricted free agent Johan Franzen, 26, are progressing. They are discussing a one- to four-year contract. The Swedish center made $600,000 last season as a rookie. Negotiations continue with the Wings' other remaining free agent, forward Jason Williams, 25, but he's likely headed for a July 31 arbitration hearing in Toronto.
I personally would like to see toskala, i think he would give the team a good show and enough depth.. its time to go younger in the player departments, not older!

we need to get ready for the futher, not live in the past.. the stanley cup runs are done for a bit.. i say give them three years tops , we will have a contending team again.. who knows, maybe this season will show what this team is truly made out of.

Im just tired of the temporary bandaids. like belfour ect... lets get some permanence. anythings better than eddie... Id rather have Biron first.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts