Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
8/10/2006 6:16:33 PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The Anaheim Ducks have signed free agent center Travis Green to a one-year contract.

No financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

Green, 35, played in 82 games for Boston last season, collecting 22 points with 79 penalty minutes and a 54.4 face-off win percentage. Green was one of only two Bruins to play in all 82 games, marking the second time in his career that he did not miss a single game.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound centre spent part of the 1997-98 season and the entire 1998-99 season with Anaheim, recording 46 points with 97 penalty minutes in 101 games. Green was originally acquired by Anaheim with Doug Houda and Tony Tuzzolino from the New York Islanders for Joe Sacco, J.J. Daigneault and Mark Janssens, Feb. 6, 1998. Anaheim traded Green and their first-round choice in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft (Scott Kelman) to Phoenix for Oleg Tverdovsky, June 26, 1999.

The 14-year NHL veteran has recorded 453 points with 737 PIM in 939 career games with the New York Islanders, Anaheim, Phoenix, Toronto and Boston. Green was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round (23rd overall) of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If he can play the way he did in Toronto and Boston, that's a solid pick-up for Anaheim.

He fills in th 3rd and 4th lines well. I was disappointed when JFJ messed up on the day of some waiver draft or something. He let him go (for the rights to Petr Tenkrat, who now belongs to Boston) and after Green got traded traded again, he thought that he could out-smart the other GM by trading Reichel for him back. Ha, yeah right! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't see him playing nearly as much now, but I'll guess that he still does a decent job in his role.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
If he can play the way he did in Toronto and Boston, that's a solid pick-up for Anaheim.

He fills in th 3rd and 4th lines well. I was disappointed when JFJ messed up on the day of some waiver draft or something. He let him go (for the rights to Petr Tenkrat, who now belongs to Boston) and after Green got traded traded again, he thought that he could out-smart the other GM by trading Reichel for him back. Ha, yeah right! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't see him playing nearly as much now, but I'll guess that he still does a decent job in his role.
The problem when he played in Toronto was, they had too many guys who played the same. And it's hard to win, when everyone plays the same type of game!!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
panoo2004 said:
The problem when he played in Toronto was, they had too many guys who played the same. And it's hard to win, when everyone plays the same type of game!!

Yes, that's true. They usually have players of that mold... a lot of players.

Most of them are gone now though, and they have Mike Peca in there. He plays the kind of gritty defencive game that Green did, but more effectively and with more offence... hopefully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts