3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple.

TO LAK:
Phaneuf
Kessel

TO TOR:
Doughty

Could be the move that gets LAK a Cup, or it could blow up but it sure beats Doughty sitting out over a contract.

IT easily sets the Leafs back a year or two in the battle for a playoff spot but Doughty is elite.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fair offer, but I doubt the Kings want Dions contract for what he brings to the table.

If Doughty is traded, and I highly doubt it will come to that, every team in the league will be making offers.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I honestly don't think it makes sense for either team.

The Leafs have a need for top tier talent. And the closest they have are Phaneuf and Kessel, to give up both for a better player, creates a hole.

For the Kings, they are tight on salary (both cap and budget).

Without Doughty they have 9.5 million of cap space. If they pay Doughty 7 million then they have 2.5 million of room, taking on Kessel and Phaneuf would add 11.9 million of salary putting them over the cap.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair offer, but I doubt the Kings want Dions contract for what he brings to the table.

If Doughty is traded, and I highly doubt it will come to that, every team in the league will be making offers.
I honestly don't think it makes sense for either team.

The Leafs have a need for top tier talent. And the closest they have are Phaneuf and Kessel, to give up both for a better player, creates a hole.

For the Kings, they are tight on salary (both cap and budget).

Without Doughty they have 9.5 million of cap space. If they pay Doughty 7 million then they have 2.5 million of room, taking on Kessel and Phaneuf would add 11.9 million of salary putting them over the cap.
Well my thinking for this one as a long suffering LEafs fan, is that there is one very tiny chance that the best young D-man in the game might be available and I want him. Sure giving up 2 for 1 might set the rebuild back a year or more but I think in the long run the team will be better for it. A winger like Kessel added to the KIngs top 6 would be deadly.

I think other teams would be hard pressed to beat that offer. How many 24yr old 3x 30g scorers are there out there? What about a Former Norris nominated D-man just entering his prime? There would only be a few teams that could offer more. The deal keeps them young while making them more of a serious contender.

As for the cap space, a bad contract for a draft pick, or a Stoll for Bozak, addition or something would get the deal done.

Basically a A+ for a B+ and an A.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well my thinking for this one as a long suffering LEafs fan, is that there is one very tiny chance that the best young D-man in the game might be available and I want him. Sure giving up 2 for 1 might set the rebuild back a year or more but I think in the long run the team will be better for it. A winger like Kessel added to the KIngs top 6 would be deadly.

I think other teams would be hard pressed to beat that offer. How many 24yr old 3x 30g scorers are there out there? What about a Former Norris nominated D-man just entering his prime? There would only be a few teams that could offer more. The deal keeps them young while making them more of a serious contender.

As for the cap space, a bad contract for a draft pick, or a Stoll for Bozak, addition or something would get the deal done.

Basically a A+ for a B+ and an A.
I think you're overrating Dion Phaneuf here. Entering his prime? Hes lost a lot of steam from his early Calgary days. Hes probably seen around the league as a slightly overpaid top pairing D man. Nothing wrong with that, but hes not seen as the potential franchise D man he used to be.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're overrating Dion Phaneuf here. Entering his prime? Hes lost a lot of steam from his early Calgary days. Hes probably seen around the league as a slightly overpaid top pairing D man. Nothing wrong with that, but hes not seen as the potential franchise D man he used to be.
In your own words Phaneuf is a top pairing D-man. That is all I am rating him as, a good #2. 27 is generally considered as Prime is it not? His play was much better after returning from his injury last year.

The 24yr old with 3 30 goals seasons under his belt is the bigger piece.

·
Registered
765 Posts
In your own words Phaneuf is a top pairing D-man. That is all I am rating him as, a good #2. 27 is generally considered as Prime is it not? His play was much better after returning from his injury last year.

The 24yr old with 3 30 goals seasons under his belt is the bigger piece.
Kessel is another nice "piece" type of guy for any teams top 6, but you're trading 2 pieces for one franchise guy.

Again, not a bad proposal, but if it came down to it I thikn you'd see someone offering up a guy of Kessel or Phaneufs caliber, plus a top prospect and picks.

Who knows though. I've seen guys traded out of nowhere for way less than I thought they were worth.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
To LAK:
Ennis
Boyes
Morrison
2nd pick

To Buf:
Doughty
Lewis
5th pick

My Proposal. Probably not the best. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kessel is another nice "piece" type of guy for any teams top 6, but you're trading 2 pieces for one franchise guy.

Again, not a bad proposal, but if it came down to it I thikn you'd see someone offering up a guy of Kessel or Phaneufs caliber, plus a top prospect and picks.

Who knows though. I've seen guys traded out of nowhere for way less than I thought they were worth.
YA, I don't see more than 1 or 2 teams being able to match that offer.

Actually I doubt anyone would.

Even EDM who can afford to give up youth like MPS and Eberle can't offer the Kings a 3 time NHL proven 30 goal scorer who is only 24yrs old plus a solid 2 way D-man who can log 26min a night.

The Kings are in "WIN NOW" mode and will be for the next several years with Kopitar and Richards down the middle. Kessel and Phaneuf fit their needs perfectly.

Would DET give up Zetterberg and Kronwall?

THe Leafs have the depth at D and the youth movement to be able to offer such a package. The price for Kessel was high, but Phaeuf was basically free when you factor in Aulie but I thnk when you add it all up; What the Leafs gave up to get Kessel and Phaneuf is offset easily by Doughty and Aulie.

Basically I see the immediate impact of Kessel and Phaneuf to be more valuable to the Kings than the future and uncertain impact of highend prospects.

It really works:
Different conference.
Kings replace Doughty and gain 30+ goal winger.
Leafs get elite player.
The Kings maintain future while improving the immediate.
The Leafs hold off for one more year but add a true cornerstone piece.

Doughty, Aulie, Schenn and Gardiner would be the best top 4 in the league in 2013.

TBH the play of Gardiner almost makes me want to rescind my intial offer. But I will still make a case for it.

Doughty may well be this generation's Ray Bourque and I will pay a steep price to get him.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To LAK:
Ennis
Boyes
Morrison
2nd pick

To Buf:
Doughty
Lewis
5th pick

My Proposal. Probably not the best. :confused:
Think Myers + Vanek.

Two highend players for a potential elite player.
I don't see Buffalo going youth movement when they are already a playoff team that has just had a bunch of money thrown at it.

No one can offer what the Leafs can offer due to their circumstance.

Who/What does OTT put with Alfredsson to get Doughty?

NYI? FLA? BOS?

MTL isn't about to part with Subban and LAK likely isn't interested in a returning Markov.

Who/What does WAS put with Green/Carlson to get the deal done?

What other team could offer such a mix of talent, tenacity, youth and pedigree?

and be willing and able to give it up?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Think Myers + Vanek.

Two highend players for a potential elite player.
I don't see Buffalo going youth movement when they are already a playoff team that has just had a bunch of money thrown at it.

No one can offer what the Leafs can offer due to their circumstance.

Who/What does OTT put with Alfredsson to get Doughty?

NYI? FLA? BOS?

MTL isn't about to part with Subban and LAK likely isn't interested in a returning Markov.

Who/What does WAS put with Green/Carlson to get the deal done?

What other team could offer such a mix of talent, tenacity, youth and pedigree?

and be willing and able to give it up?
Myers and Vanek in the same trade = big fat NO! Myers is better than Doughty in a lot of category's. Vanek is a big part of core and we build around him. That would be stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts