Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/19/2006 12:35:10 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Tie Domi has decided to retire.

The longtime Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer will officially make the announcement on Tuesday afternoon, a source told The Canadian Press.

Domi, one of the NHL club's most popular players for a decade, was bought out by the Leafs earlier this summer. He drew interest from other teams but just couldn't see himself playing for anyone else.

The 36-year-old right-winger spent the final 11 seasons of his career in Toronto. He's fourth all-time in NHL penalty minutes with just over 3,500.

He played 1,020 career games in the league with the Leafs, New York Rangers and Winnipeg Jets.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Canadian Press
9/19/2006 4:35:07 PM

Tie Domi has joined TSN.

The announcement was made official during a press conference at the Air Canada Centre as the respected NHL veteran formally announced his retirement. He's the latest addition to the TSN family following recent signings this year of Brian Williams, James Cybulski and Darren Dreger.

''I may be leaving the ice, but I'm not leaving hockey,'' Domi said. ''I am excited and nervous in my new role but I promise to bring the same person that had the passion, dedication and the enthusiasm to the broadcast arena that I delivered to the ice.''

For Domi, the path that led from the NHL to Canada's #1 sports broadcaster started with a phone call to CTV President Rick Brace. “Tie confided that he was planning to retire and asked if we would consider a role for him here. TSN President Phil King held a secret audition and we were immediately impressed.''

King confirmed that Domi has been assigned to the network's comprehensive NHL coverage, where as an analyst he will appear weekly during TSN's in-studio panel discussions and debates. His new NHL on TSN studio broadcast teammates includes host James Duthie, fellow analyst Glenn Healy, TSN Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie and Dreger, and veteran hockey broadcaster Dave Hodge.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader=

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Finally, it's over. Now I don't have to worry about him landing back on the team by some chance.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No kidding!!! LOL

But how nice is this, on TSN and RSN, all the hockey panelists are ex Leaf players, but yet, they say they are for all teams, and they aren't biased? RIGHT!!!!

If anyone heard Domi's farewell speech yesterday, his words were "I couldn't put on any other teams sweater" "I love this team", so how can he be fair with his analysts of other games?

We get enough of that crap from Neal, Cole & Millen doing the color commentating of every CBC game!!!!

Am I missing something here?? Am I the only one who feels this way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
biased CBC

your not the only one
every time i watch HN in C i hate the leafs more
who wants to watch them any way
when a "talented" :rolleyes: player like tucker is leading scorer
thats a bad sign

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I don't hate or love the leafs. But it would be nice if they alternated teams I would like to see Ottawa vs Montreal or something on a Saturday night but oh well....anyways I kind of can't wait to see how Domi does as an analyst he took my future job though:laugh:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
nikel059 said:
your not the only one
every time i watch HN in C i hate the leafs more
who wants to watch them any way
when a "talented" :rolleyes: player like tucker is leading scorer
thats a bad sign
Welcome to the forum.

As for Tucker: I myself aren't that big a fan, but a player that can play his style of play and score 20+ goals (5 times) and notch 40 - 50 points in a year sounds exactly like a guy Ottawa needs.

I agree about CBC though. Bob and Harry have to go. They brought in Hughson to appease the anger of fans like me who enjoyed listening to Cuthbert, but it isn't enough.

As for the Leafs and Sens on Saturday: Toronto plays every Saturday and will do so forever, while Ottawa doesn't.

Toronto has more fans and CBC knows that. Even just last year there was an article where someone from the CBC themselves said it: It's all about money.

I do think they should show the Sens when a broadcast is regional, but that won't happen every week and the vacant Saturday would eventually be replaced by a Leaf game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts