Hockey Fan Forums banner

Do you like the fans nowadays when you visit a game?

• Yes, they know what they are talking about.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No, they are not the same as in the 70s and 80s. It's just richies now.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like old hockey from the 60s and 70s. It was entertaining and amusing and the fans were great. But nowadays it's just a different sport. Since the tickets are so pricy to see a game (for example, Vancouver, 150 bucks a ticket) only rich people go and the fans don't know what they are cheering and booing about. I went to the Canucks versus Red Wings game and the officials were half decent. The fans of those Canucks were all rich, snobby people and did not know what they were booing about. When the referee called a tripping penalty (infact they showed a replay) the crowd were chanting "Bull****."

I want everyone to consider this. Do you like fans nowadays of hockey or do you hate tham like I do? Certainly if you got to watch games in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s like me you would think fans were great back then. But nowadays it's only rich people who can buy a ticket and watch the performance. I wish the tickets were lower than they are nowadays so we can have awesome fans back and not rich people booing away at the refs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The thing i dont like about fans is that in the US they are more looking for an entertainment part of the game but in Canada, we just go to games for the love of the sport.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I know i go because i love watching the game live... I mean, its captivating to watch pro hockey at a big stadium on a big game night.... as for the people, i think a lot of the 'richies' are also well groomed in their sports knowledge..
These richies are the same people playing pro line and online gambling and fantasy hockey.
I’m sure at least 75% of the people in the stadium can list a hockey player and would tell you they love to watch the sport, regardless of their economic status or what seats they have... some people are just more fortunate to be able to afford ice level seats...
I too wish the ticket prices were cheaper, but the reality is these franchises are paying big bucks for players that sell tickets. All this costs money, and at the end of the day the fan has to pay part of the players salary.
I don’t blame the fans, i know some people that save up money to go to 1-2 games a year and get mint seats, hardly should they be hated on.. :cool: Times are changing. Not only are people not liking the fans of today, but people aren’t liking the hockey of today.
People are never happy! We need some sports like “the running man” (Arnold movie)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a really different fan! I started getting into ice hockey about ... oh I don't know ... 13 days ago?! I'm from Australia and I love AFL (Australian Rules Football) but my sport is changing (much like yours) and I'm getting a little bored of it (plus my side isn't going to feature much this year :laugh: ).

I was looking for a sport to bet on and thought about NRL (rugby) then just happened upon the NRL standings in my local paper. Australian newspapers are pretty good with international sports listings, if you're wondering. I noticed that the top sides really have quite a high percentage of losses - Ottawa's was 35% loss (includes T's) when I worked it out a week or so ago. I thought this was interesting but I'm yet to find a real betting method that utilises this weird %loss occurrence. Top sides in AFL lose less than 20% but play nowhere near as much as NHL.

Anway, any tips or info about your beloved sport would be greatly appreciated by me. Stuff like hoodoos, poor away strike rates, any info you reckon a novice should know. I accidentally got really into your sport. :) Oh, and I've decided to go for the Thrashers. They're new - like me - and I've won money from them and I like their L10 record. I like to bet on what you guys would call 'locks'. Good thing about 'locks' in NHL is that they pay better than in my code of sport, eg (and it's only my opinion) Dallas might pay $1.40 or $1.30 for beating a comparatively poor side, but in AFL the top side might pay only $1.10 or $1.05 for beating a poor side!

I feel sorry for you guys that love your sport but have to pay $150 to see it - that is, quite frankly, a disgusting amount of money to pay to watch sport.

I've been reading up about rules etc and hope I don't write anything too cringe-worthy in the future (like calling a side their official name when everyone just calls them the 'whatevers').

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts