Hockey Fan Forums banner

Devils name Parise captain

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  colaverid 
#1 ·
Devils coach Pete DeBoer announced today that Zach Parise has been named team captain.

Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Elias remain alternate captains.

DeBoer said there were “a lot of things” that made Parise the right choice.

“When you look at Zach as a coach, this guy plays the right way,” DeBoer said. “He prepares the right way. He handles himself the right way. There are really not a lot of flaws in his character or in how he plays the game. I’ve always been a believer that your best players if you’re going to win have to be your most honest players and people. And I think he fits that category.”

DeBoer said he informed the team of the decision on the captaincy during a meeting before this morning’s practice.

“I was surprised because I didn’t know it was coming,” Parise said of the announcement. “No one gave me a heads up before the meeting, so I was pretty surprised when Pete said it.”

Parise, 27, becomes the ninth captain in Devils’ history. The captaincy had been vacant since Jamie Langenbrunner was traded to Dallas on Jan. 7.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_name_zach_parise_captain/

Good for Zach. He definitely deserves it. And if it works as incentive to get him to sign long-term, even better.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.