Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Acctually if you watched him play his speed is great. i like his play its just ashame half the rangers playing with him are to slow. he will be fine.
I know all about Gomez's speed. And I also remember those rushes where Gomez would fly up the ice and pass to...nobody. It's probably a good thing he didn't stay in New Jersey, Sutter would have run him out of town by now.:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For the low attendence count the place was still rocking! was glad to see them get the first win at home. The goal horn sounds alot better there then it does on TV and YAYYYY PANDO!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sup Devils fans!

Just curious as to your thoughts on something...

Why did they get rid of Sykora? I forget why and wonder this cause I really liked him and think he was a great fit.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Who is that guy wearing the #20 jersey that leads the Devils with 6 goals this season? It can't be Jay "Stonehands" Pandolfo, can it? Go figure that the two "defensive forwards" Madden and Pandolfo have combined for 11 goals and 19 points so far this season.

All around great effort last night, it was just the kind of performance they needed. Hopefully this is a sign that things are starting to come together. Nice move by Sutter putting Zubrus with Madden and Pandolfo, even though he didn't score he did have a couple of assists and was effective all night. The Parise/Zajac/Gionta line was buzzing most of the night, creating some solid scoring chances, and combining for a nice PP goal. Clarkson was an annoyance to the Lightning all night, getting into two fights and drawing a 4:00 PP when Roy basically mugged him. And of course another solid game by Marty in his 900th career game, now just 3 wins away from 500.

The defense has been criticized quite a bit this season (I've done it myself) and yet they really have played well the last 3 games (granted they gave up 3 against Ottawa, but who doesn't these days?). Martin had another very good game, he was skating well all night long. Greene looks like a better partner for him than Oduya, who shouldn't be playing anywhere near 20 minutes a game. Brookbank looked pretty good again, sticking up for his teammates with a fight. Vishnevski looks more comfortable every game he plays. Malmivaara looked quite a bit like a rookie. The guy is freaking huge, if he can use it effectively he might have a spot on the team down the road.

Finally some positivity from what looked like a pretty bleak time early for the Devils. Now let's hope they kick some Leaf and Ranger ass this weekend.:D

@Islesfan, there was apparently some rumor about Sykora not being willing to play when he wasn't all that injured in his last season with the Devils, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. I liked him when he was here, but I think his salary demands got a bit high for Lou.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!! MARTYS BACK

Johnny Madden what can you say BRING ON THE BLUESNOTS!

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
It's slowly starting to come together defensively for the Devils, who have only allowed a total of 9 goals against in the last 5 games (not including an empty netter and the SO loss). Most of that is because Marty is being Marty again, but the defense has played much better over that stretch. Martin looks better and better as the season progresses, now that he's becoming more comfortable in his role. Moving Greene up with him and moving Oduya down was one of Sutter's better moves early. Now that Oduya isn't playing 20+ minutes on the top pairing, he looks a lot more comfortable. They look like they're all finally getting used to each other.

About the only real bad thing I can think of over the last 5 games is Patrik Elias. He'll go from making one good play to being invisible the rest of the game. I like the guy, but he's not anywhere near earning his $7.5 million salary this season. If he doesn't kick it in the ass soon, I'm worried that he might never. It almost looks like he's on the downswing of his career early, and with his no trade/no movement clause it doesn't make it easy for Lou to move him if he has to. I've given Elias the benefit of the doubt ever since signing his new contract, but it's time for him to elevate his game and prove he's worth the money.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MadDevil said:
It's slowly starting to come together defensively for the Devils, who have only allowed a total of 9 goals against in the last 5 games (not including an empty netter and the SO loss). Most of that is because Marty is being Marty again, but the defense has played much better over that stretch. Martin looks better and better as the season progresses, now that he's becoming more comfortable in his role. Moving Greene up with him and moving Oduya down was one of Sutter's better moves early. Now that Oduya isn't playing 20+ minutes on the top pairing, he looks a lot more comfortable. They look like they're all finally getting used to each other.

About the only real bad thing I can think of over the last 5 games is Patrik Elias. He'll go from making one good play to being invisible the rest of the game. I like the guy, but he's not anywhere near earning his $7.5 million salary this season. If he doesn't kick it in the ass soon, I'm worried that he might never. It almost looks like he's on the downswing of his career early, and with his no trade/no movement clause it doesn't make it easy for Lou to move him if he has to. I've given Elias the benefit of the doubt ever since signing his new contract, but it's time for him to elevate his game and prove he's worth the money.
Maybe jagr for elias? :D

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Maybe jagr for elias? :D
Sure. One overpaid Czech winger who can't get his shit in order for another. Why not?

I just don't know what's with Elias of late. He'll make a good play or two, or score a goal, and then he'll disappear for the next couple games. I guess he's taking Gomez's spot for that kind of inconsistency on this team.

I hope this disaster of a game is a fluke, because it seemed as if things were finally starting to come together. With the transition this season is, I suppose I should expect it though.

One good note though was Brent Sutter's reaction to the debacle that the 5-0 loss was. Just another reason I love his hiring...

Devils coach Brent Sutter was so unhappy with his team's effort in tonight's 5-0 loss to the Penguins that he had all of the players -- with the exception of goaltenders Martin Brodeur and Kevin Weekes -- take a part in a punishment stationary bike ride after the game that left them panting and soaked with sweat.

"We looked dead out there," center John Madden said. "We didn't have any second effort. We didn't win any battles. We didn't have any urgency tonight. That's something that as long as I've been here as a Devil, we've always had that. We always had an effort."

Sutter didn't think they had one tonight, so he made them work afterward.
And a couple quotes from his press conference after the game...

"Our effort was brutal outside of our goaltenders. If it wasn’t for the goalies, it probably would have been 8-0 or 9-0. To me, tonight was a total lack of professionalism by our commitment as individuals and as a group, our preparation for how to play. It’s totally unacceptable.

"I will not accept that. That’s not even close. That's players' accountability to the front of that jersey."
"We've been a pretty good team up to tonight in the last three or four games. I know one issue and it will be resolved so it won't happen again. We thought that they played a few games in a short period of time and we gave them the day off yesterday. I thought it affected us today. That's the players' responsibility and accountability to themselves and each other to make sure they came to the rink today ready for game day. Obviously, they weren't. I'm surprised. There's no other way to put it. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Our commitment tonight to being prepared was unacceptable whenever you play. This was a big divisional game and to come to the rink like that just doesn't cut it."
Good to see Sutter isn't going to take any of the shit the Devils players have gotten away with the last couple years.;)

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MadDevil said:
Good to see Sutter isn't going to take any of the shit the Devils players have gotten away with the last couple years.;)

Yes its all good but what about LOU how much of this can he stand?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Chris_1968 said:
I am really starting to think is this SUTTERS team I think Lou knows Brent can do the job after Lou retires and he is grooming him to take over eventually ( years from now ) I think its only a matter of time before Brent and Lou sit down and Lou asks Brent who and what does he need to put a winning product on the ice.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
I think after watching the Devils get destroyed in the second round two years in a row, Lou realized it was time for a change. The kind of change the Devils are going through isn't one that's going to be easy, especially considering that Sutter really doesn't have all the players to play his system yet.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, it would have been nice to see Marty get #500 against the Rangers, but it wasn't meant to be. It was great to see Jamie Langenbrunner back, scoring both goals for the Devils. I know Sutter said something about waiting for Langenbrunner's return to give anybody the "C", so we'll see if anything happens there.

It sure would be nice if the offense would show up when Marty is in goal. In his 10 losses, the Devils have scored a total of 8 goals, and have been shut out 4 times. Way to support your franchise player.:mad:

Oh well, on to the next game I guess. It's going to be a roller coaster ride for Devils fans this year...

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The Devils just can't buy a good bounce this season. Mottau falls in the offensive zone on the PP, allowing Vasicek all day to stickhandle several times and score on Marty, who got a stick on the shot only to have it bounce up and over him into the back of the net. That play is the Devils season in a nutshell so far. Unlucky as hell.

A disturbing stat they showed at the end of the game, the Devils have been shutout 5 times so far this season. They were shutout a total of 6 times over the previous two seasons.:(

I feel bad for Marty right now. He has a good game, only allowing a freakish goal, but the team doesn't score a single goal for him. All 5 times the Devils have been shutout have been with him in goal. It's the third straight game they've lost when Marty had a chance to win #500.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
And who thought Kevin Weekes be a bright spot with 2 wins this season for the Devils? :D
Kevin Weekes has really played like he did with Carolina when he took them to the Cup Finals. He has been icnredibly acrobatic, has seemed very confident, and has been making great saves. He says that Devils goalie coach Jacques Caron has helped him to get back to how he played with Carolina, and it definitely shows.
But Brodeur has been getting consistently beter and better with each game. You cant blame him for the goal he gave up to the Islanders, it was just very, very unlucky. BUt the thing is, no one is scoring any goals for Brodeur. When Weekes is in net, the Devils seem to get a scorign touch, but it is strikingly less apparent when Brodeur is in net. In the three games he started, the Devils scored 4 goals once, and 3 goals twice. Whereas with Brodeur, the Devils have scored more than three goals only in the five wins out of 16 games.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Wow, Marty had a great game and the team scored for him. Now if they can only continue that the rest of the season...

Congratulations to Marty for getting #500. It seemed like getting that win was a big relief for him and the entire team. Now that it's come and gone they can put it behind them. Elias is finally starting to look like the old Elias, Gionta scored a beautifal chip shot goal, and Zubrus scored his 3rd goal against the Flyers this season. I guess he just needs to keep playing the Flyers.

Good game by the whole team, it would be nice to see more of these as the season progesses...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know Sutter doesn't have all the players healthy yet, but I just can't get into his style of play. Now, I like the fact that he is trying to make the offense a little more aggressive, but New Jersey is too small of a team (tough, but small). It got kind of aggrevating, but they were very succesful using the dump and chase. I am not saying that his system won't work, but Jersey is just getting stood up as soon as they hit the offensive blue line, especially now that a majority of the teams they play are starting to use the trap. I don't know, I wish Sutter all the luck in the world, but if he can't get things rolling, don't be suprised to see Lou come back down to the bench.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I know Sutter doesn't have all the players healthy yet, but I just can't get into his style of play. Now, I like the fact that he is trying to make the offense a little more aggressive, but New Jersey is too small of a team (tough, but small). It got kind of aggrevating, but they were very succesful using the dump and chase. I am not saying that his system won't work, but Jersey is just getting stood up as soon as they hit the offensive blue line, especially now that a majority of the teams they play are starting to use the trap. I don't know, I wish Sutter all the luck in the world, but if he can't get things rolling, don't be suprised to see Lou come back down to the bench.
It's interesting how quiet Lou has been through the early part of the season. It makes me think that barring the players all turning against him, Sutter is pretty safe this season.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts