Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
NJDEVIL30274 said:
What you thinking Mad, Weeksie on the island Marty at the Garden and the home opener? Or weeksie on the island and the garden with marty playing the home? orrrr lol marty playing all 3? can go anyway really
I don't know if it would be better for Marty to sit for a game, or try to play through the slump he's in. I would imagine Marty would play against the Rangers and to open the new building, so maybe Weekes will play against the Isles. Something tells me Marty will be playing all of them though...

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
And Weekes gets the start after all. All I can say about the outcome of this game is...ugh. What an ugly way to lose a game, on a penalty where Greene accidently collided with an Islander. Although to be fair the Devils really only played a 40 minute game tonight. It was nice to see them come back from down 3-1 in the third to force overtime, and nearly get it to a shootout. That second period did them in though.

Some thoughts on the players. Parise once again proved why he's the Devils MVP so far this year, buzzing around the ice and creating chances. Zajac played another solid game, even though it didn't show up on the scoresheet. Pandolfo apparently thinks he's back in college when he was a goal scorer. Martin is starting to assert himself offensively more, with some flashes of Niedermayer-esque play here and there. Elias looks better than he did earlier, he just has shit for luck with his shots. Zubrus needs to start putting the puck in the net. I like his size and physical game, but he needs to start scoring. And Oduya continues to be inconsistent as hell. He'll make one good play here, and then look like a complete ass on the next play.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I agree I think we need Colin back more then we thought just to get oduya out of the line-up and if it starts to seem we wont get Colin back until after the holidays maybe u package Richard..and i hate to say maybe someone like brylin and prospect for a #3 or 4 dman?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
NJDEVIL30274 said:
I agree I think we need Colin back more then we thought just to get oduya out of the line-up and if it starts to seem we wont get Colin back until after the holidays maybe u package Richard..and i hate to say maybe someone like brylin and prospect for a #3 or 4 dman?
The problem is the Devils have a plethora of #3 and #4 defensemen. Vishnevski, Rachunek, and Greene all fit into that category. Martin is probably best suited to a #2 and White to a #3 role. So if anything what they need is somebody to either take some of the pressure off Martin (who incidently I think has played pretty well so far) or a real #1 defenseman. The former is probably easier to get than the latter at this point.

It's kind of hard to think about trading anybody right now, just because they're still trying to adapt to the new system. Some guys are going to fit with Sutter's style better than others, and I think they're still in the process of finding that out. If they're still having defensive issues 20-30 games into the season, then I think you can start talking trade. Until then, I think we might just have to get used to the inconsistencies of the defense.

And about trading Brylin, forget it. He's a Devil for life. Unless Lou fires himself as GM, Sarge will always have a spot on the team.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
MadDevil said:
The problem is the Devils have a plethora of #3 and #4 defensemen. Vishnevski, Rachunek, and Greene all fit into that category. Martin is probably best suited to a #2 and White to a #3 role. So if anything what they need is somebody to either take some of the pressure off Martin (who incidently I think has played pretty well so far) or a real #1 defenseman. The former is probably easier to get than the latter at this point.

It's kind of hard to think about trading anybody right now, just because they're still trying to adapt to the new system. Some guys are going to fit with Sutter's style better than others, and I think they're still in the process of finding that out. If they're still having defensive issues 20-30 games into the season, then I think you can start talking trade. Until then, I think we might just have to get used to the inconsistencies of the defense.

And about trading Brylin, forget it. He's a Devil for life. Unless Lou fires himself as GM, Sarge will always have a spot on the team.
Dont get me wrong I love sarge he's one of my favs im just saying Brent probably sees him as expendable on the 4th line and i really do think if Sutter pushed it lou would follow..I like sarge but for what he can do with the 4th line wouldnt be more than Bergfors Tallackson and Ryznar could do.

I do think if we can get karble for matvy sarge and a 3rd rounder id take it its funny too because i just made that trade in nhl 08 a few days ago before it seemed like tomas was available ( well eklund says he is so who knows )

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The day Brylin is traded by the Devils is the day I stop being a Devils fan, and become a fan of whichever team Brylin plays on, yes, even if it is the Rangers or Flyers.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Actually, I think Brylin fits well into Sutter's system. He works his ass off every shift, isn't afraid to take some physical abuse, and can play in pretty much any situation. Putting Brylin on the fourth line isn't Sutter saying he doesn't fit, it's an attempt to provide some more balanced lines. And besides which, where would he fit on the top 3 lines right now? Which one of the guys currently there do you put down on the fourth line in Brylin's spot?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, it looks like Sheldon Brookbank will be making his Devils debut tonight against the Rangers, with Mottau being the odd man out. Hopefully he'll at least be effective.

Maybe playing against the hated Rangers will get Marty fired up and get him out of the slump he's in. It'll be interesting to see how the Devils come out with Sutter challenging the veterans. I'm hoping for a solid 60 minute effort (a cliche, I know), and hopefully somebody destroys Gomez at some point.:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
MadDevil said:
Well, it looks like Sheldon Brookbank will be making his Devils debut tonight against the Rangers, with Mottau being the odd man out. Hopefully he'll at least be effective.

Maybe playing against the hated Rangers will get Marty fired up and get him out of the slump he's in. It'll be interesting to see how the Devils come out with Sutter challenging the veterans. I'm hoping for a solid 60 minute effort (a cliche, I know), and hopefully somebody destroys Gomez at some point.:D
It's going to be a weird game Marty is letting in everything that comes near him but the Rangers cant score so this might just be what Marty needs to right the ship before the opener in Newark. I think they players know how much it would mean to open up the season at home 4-4-1 rather then 3-5-1. I expect a balls to the wall effort tonight and the new 23 to send a messege to the old 23 ;) LETS GO DEVILS

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, that figures. Marty plays his ass off and the Devils get shutout.:rolleyes:

Marty was the single bright spot to this entire game. The PP was absolutely horrible. I think the Rangers had the puck more on the Devils PP than the Devils did. Taking a penalty with 5 minutes left certainly didn't help either (even though I still haven't seen the penalty). Elias turned the puck over at least twice on the PP with blind passed to nobody in particular. Zubrus was nonexistent for most of the game. Parise and Zajac both had solid games I thought. Gionta had a couple chances. Madden fanned on at least 2 good scoring chances, although he did have at least one good chance on the PP.

The Devils just didn't look all that sharp tonight, which surprises me after Sutter challenged the veterans, namely Brodeur, Elias, and Gionta. It seems Marty was the only one who answered that challenge tonight, although Gio had a couple good chances as well.

Thankfully the road trip from hell is finally over. With Marty looking like he's back, maybe the home opener is just what this team needs to get fired up. Hell, I'd take anything right now.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I hear that man lol Marty did play his ass off and gave us a shot to win thats all he needs to do our offence with the talent we do have should be able to get us 2 or 3 goals a game but hey we didnt get the bounces tonight and the rangers played a good game keeping us to the outside for most of our shots. I think besides marty the brightest spot was seeing gomer jags shanahan and company still struggle The Dawes goal was a fluke and the 2nd one...well powerplay what you gonna do. All i know is ill be screaming my head off saturday night and hopefully we upset the sens

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Yeah, I do have to give the Rangers credit. They looked like the old Devils by keeping all the chances to the outside and not allowing many second chances. It seemed like all the Devils shots were cleared right away by the Rangers. They kind of turned the tables on the Devils and played the kind of defensive hockey the Devils are, or should I say were, known for.

If the PP had been good tonight, I think they could have won the game. It just seemed like they weren't on the same page. Oh well, on to the home opener on Saturday. A win over the Sens is just what this team needs.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MadDevil said:
Yeah, I do have to give the Rangers credit. They looked like the old Devils by keeping all the chances to the outside and not allowing many second chances. It seemed like all the Devils shots were cleared right away by the Rangers. They kind of turned the tables on the Devils and played the kind of defensive hockey the Devils are, or should I say were, known for.

Never thought i see you give the rangers credit. go figure with so much offense there defense/goaltending has been the only bright spot so far. Marty played awsome. Dawes is known for his tricky heavey shot hope he stays. marty had no chance on the first one but maybe the second one.

NJDEVIL30274 said:
The Dawes goal was a fluke

How was it a fluke. perfect shot by dawes. Rachaunek is the culprit for not properly clearing the puck and hitting the player on the change.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Chris_1968 said:
Never thought i see you give the rangers credit. go figure with so much offense there defense/goaltending has been the only bright spot so far. Marty played awsome. Dawes is known for his tricky heavey shot hope he stays. marty had no chance on the first one but maybe the second one.

How was it a fluke. perfect shot by dawes. Rachaunek is the culprit for not properly clearing the puck and hitting the player on the change.
It's a fluke because of the breakdown im not dissing the shot because it was a nice shot but the chance for him never should of happened..therefore fluke chance fluke goal...but thats the way our season has been so far

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Horrible not doing enough for the hard working goals ( except in the last 2 minutes) taking shots from the tops of the circles giving gerber a ton of open looks and just standing around like morons when the puck comes across their feet in the center of the slot. D was decent tonight for the most part marty was great we just cant score. Personally i had a fun night sitting 2 rows behind baunman and 1 section over from the 228 crazies it was a fun night in that respect. awesome area awesome people awesome home...now lets (bleep) win one there!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Well, the debut in the new arena didn't go so well, but at they got themselves a sellout. When was the last time Jersey managed to fill their building in October? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
subby13 said:
Well, the debut in the new arena didn't go so well, but at they got themselves a sellout. When was the last time Jersey managed to fill their building in October? ;)
I was wondering who was going to say something about that first.:laugh:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
subby13 said:
The night before last jon bovi sold out. :D

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MadDevil said:
Speaking of sell outs, how do you like Scott Gomez so far?:cheeky4:
Acctually if you watched him play his speed is great. i like his play its just ashame half the rangers playing with him are to slow. he will be fine.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts