Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said a few months back that the defining moment(s) in Colorado's regular season would be against the evil Wings, and if the Avs couldn't take at least five points away from Detroit, there would be no point in making the playoffs no matter what comes. Lo and behold, Colorado has gone 2-1-1 against the Wings and what little hope is left in me has been moderately rekindled. A huge amount of Colorado's playoff chances rest on either A) somehow running the table in their last 16 games or B) San Jose, Calgary, or Minnesota tanking. Luckily, San Jose has only 5 wins in their last 15, and is probably the best seed Colorado has a chance of stealing. Even so, the Avs would need to put together an extremely strong win streak and win the overwhelming majority of the remaining divisional games.

Code:
Team	GP	Pts 
1.	* Nashville	66	92  
 2.	* Anaheim	66	87  
 3.	* Vancouver	64	79  
 4.	Detroit	 65	90  
 5.	Dallas	 64	81  
 6.	Calgary	 65	79  
 7.	San Jose	65	78  
 8.	Minnesota	65	78  
 9.	Colorado	66	69
*-division leader
Games remaining (blue indicates a divisional game):
Code:
Mar 6	at Boston
 Mar 7	at Buffalo
 [color=blue]Mar 11	at Minnesota
 Mar 14	vs Calgary[/color]
 Mar 17	at Phoenix
 Mar 18	vs San Jose[color=blue]
 Mar 21	at Edmonton
 Mar 23	at Edmonton
 Mar 25	at Vancouver
 Mar 27	vs Vancouver[/color]
 Mar 29	at Phoenix[color=blue]
 Mar 31	vs Minnesota
 Apr 3	at Calgary
 Apr 5	at Vancouver[/color]
 Apr 7	vs Nashville
[color=blue] Apr 8	vs Calgary[/color]
Only six non-divisional games remain. Assuming Colorado gets blown out of the water against Buffalo but manages a win in Boston, and with two given wins against Phoenix, Colorado would need a plausible win against Nashville (2-1 on the season) and a longshot win against SJ (1-2 on the season). I'd say Colorado must get 9 points out of the possible 12 - but not surrender any to SJ.

In any event, divisional games are much more important. Because any of Vancouver, Calgary, and Minne could easily win the division, Colorado could theoretically lose a few (very, very few) games to one of those teams.

-3 games against Calgary, two at home
-Home and away against Minne
-One home, 2 away against Vancouver
-2 away against Edmonton

Of all those, the Calgary games scare me the most, because whenever the Flames's pieces start to click they'll start dominating. The two home games favor Colorado, but still the Avs need at least 4 of 6 points.

Colorado's done well against the Wild, but anything can happen. Need 3 of 4.

Same story with Vancouver; need 4 of 6.

Edmonton should be easy to handle, Colorado needs all four points there.

Totals:

Non-divisional: 9 points needed
Divisional: 15 needed

24 in the remaining 16 would give Colorado 93 on the season, and, statistically, if San Jose continues playing as they did during February, the Avs would be tied with the Sharks and have the advantage due to the higher goal count.

-----------------

I'll be the first to say the chances are ludicrously slim, probably not even one in ten, but stranger things have happened before, and the last three playoff years have proven any team can make waves with any seed.

That is all..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, I'll have to say, the Avs have played good hockey lately, and the factors I've said are important are coming in. Hejduk is playing his ass off lately, and I forget the rest of the factors, lol.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
We need to win more then half of our remaining games lose 4, that's cool. But we won't make the playoffs, we might make a push, but it won't be strong enough.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
West is locked up. The teams are finalizied for the playoffs but only their ranking will change.

Avs making the playoffs is 1 in 100 chances unless SJ or Minny really becomes Philadelphia.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haha I just spent 30 minutes looking at the standings and our schedule thinking of a way to get in the playoffs. I know most people think its impossible but this Avs team NEVER quits. They have been playing hard lately and that is all I ask of them. Hopefully t we will get in but if not we always have next year right? I believe too!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I believe...I just don't like getting in to the playoffs like this. I like how we used to get in to the playoffs and win cups, which is have a kickass regular season and then have a cup to cap it all off. I just don't feel like I would even want the cup if we won it like this. Only reason I want them to get in to the playoffs is so that we don't end our streak.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm with Adam....sorrta. The main and only reason I want the Aves to make the playoffs is so we can keep the streak alive. On the other hand, I want Colorado to face Detroit once more in the playoffs, and kick-start the rivalry. And if we so happen to win the cup, then that too is good. But for the most part, I just wanna keep the streak alive.

As for the topic, the Avs playoff hope's are getting stronger, seeing as Budaj will theoretically keep his good streak for another 4 games for sure, (They Usually Last At Least 2 Weeks) meaning that we will most likely beat the two divisional rivals whom are already in the bottom seeds of the playoffs, giving us a good chance to knock 1 of them out!!! But then Budaj will likely fall into another 2 week skid, but that's alright, because for the most part we will have 2 easy wins in Phoenix, plus if we somehow lose to Edmonton a couple of times, we wont have to worry about them surpassing us in the standings, they went 3 games I think it was without a single goal. (Not Sure If That Streak Is Still Going) after losing Smyth.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
West is locked up. The teams are finalizied for the playoffs but only their ranking will change.

Avs making the playoffs is 1 in 100 chances unless SJ or Minny really becomes Philadelphia.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions youngling, alot of those games are divisional and it is all but an imposibility that the Avs gun to win them all. If they win a fair few of them their chances are still good.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
5 games!!!! Uh Huh!!!

It almost seems as the title for this thread is now inapropriate. I think we should remove the "Desperate" from the title.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
5 games!!!! Uh Huh!!!

It almost seems as the title for this thread is now inapropriate. I think we should remove the "Desperate" from the title.
I'll still consider us desperate until we're in and secure for a playoff sort. We're playing some great hockey as of late, you can't be impressed.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'll still consider us desperate until we're in and secure for a playoff sort. We're playing some great hockey as of late, you can't be impressed.
I can tell you I am impressed by the type of hockey we have been playing lately. It's great stuff.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What a finish for tonight's game. Hejduk with an awesome goal and Joey with four assists, just awesome.
WE WON WE WON WE WON!!!!!!

And our next two games are vs. Edmonton. The four points for the tie!!!

Only problem today is Stas lost his rookie point streak. :doh

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
They just beat the hottest team inthe west in OT, they DEFINITELY have a chance to catch the 8th spot. Especially since Calgary is digging their own grave and have mostly road games ahead.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
They just beat the hottest team inthe west in OT, they DEFINITELY have a chance to catch the 8th spot. Especially since Calgary is digging their own grave and have mostly road games ahead.
Agreed. The schedual is in favour of us. Calgary is horible on the road, and they play like 4 or so games of the remaining 10? at home. Colorado will play Edmonton a few times, which if the last game we played against Edmonton and SJ, we should catch the Flames, and knock them out.

Watch out NHL, Colorado's on the move.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts