Hockey Fan Forums banner

Dealing Lidstrom in Wings best interest?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jazzdip 
#1 ·
I know you may think I am crazy, but as a Wings fan I would love to see them deal Lidstrom for a marquee forward. Obviously they wouldn't deal him to the west, so I am thinking there are only a few teams in the east that would have something to offer. Any way you look at it Lidstrom is no worse than the 2nd best defenseman in the league. If the Wings could get a #1 center I think they would be better off. The only players I think qualify are LeCavalier or Richards, Drury, or a package including Antoine Vermette. This will probaly never happen of course, but I think it's worth thinking about. I do not believe the Wings have what it takes to compete in the playoffs.

#2 ·
The wings will no doubt probaly make the playoffs. But you're right they always tend to have a great season and never seem to be a big playoff contender. I dont think dealing Lindstrom is what they need. Maybe sending a 1st round pick and a guy like franzen + either williams or quincey (2 young guys) to Tampa for either Richards or Lecavillier and probaly a 4th or 3rd line player on Tampa.

#3 ·
I don't think they'll ever trade Lidstrom. He will be retiring in Detroit. Why would they trade their best player? They will still make the playoffs! You don't need star players to go to cup finals. Take the example of Edmonton Oilers.

If they do, They'll trade either Jason Williams or Pavel Datsyuk.

This is the best they can get.
To Tampa bay:
Jason Williams
2nd round pick.

To Detroit:
Brad Richards

I doubt Tampa will trade Lecavlier. He is playing just too good. Two goals tonight again.

Richards is struggling but he is capable of 100 points easily.

This is the best deal for Detroit.

But it all depends on Tampa Bay and Detroit. We are sitting at home and making things but you don't know what's in the mind of Holland or Tampa's GM. But If they release Richards, it will be a HUGE relief to Tampa Bay salary cap. With that they can buy a defenseman or a goalie.

#4 ·
What if they could get Drury and Campbell, or Drury and Biron in return? I think your right about Lidstrom retiring in Detroit, but his value is huge right now and I think we should capitalize on that. Although if we could get Richards for such a bargain, maybe we could contend once again. Of course there wouldn't be room under the cap for such a deal.

#7 ·
oilers said:
I doubt Tampa will trade Lecavlier. He is playing just too good. Two goals tonight again.
Jay Feaster has said he doesn't want to be the GM that traded Lecavalier but he's one of the only big name players on Tampa who can be traded. Martin St. Louis(who was not mentioned in this thread) has a no trade clause so he can't go. Brad Richards has a no trade clause that kicks in on July 1st and a insanly large contract so unless he starts playing like Jaromir Jagr or something I think he is stuck on Tampa so Lecavalier is the only guy they can pretty much deal.
Lidstrom would be a good fit on Tampa though they are kind of lacking depth on D but even trading a big money guy Tampa will still have cap issues especially if they ended up trading for him.

#9 ·
Canuck said:
I think Lecavillier would be a great fit in montreal because they're are looking for a #1 centre. Can i get someone else opinion on this?
As much as I would hate for him to leave tampa I think it would be a great fit he was thinking of signing with them before he got his new contract with tampa, not sure who they would get in return?

#10 ·
Amanda said:
As much as I would hate for him to leave tampa I think it would be a great fit he was thinking of signing with them before he got his new contract with tampa, not sure who they would get in return?
maybe a samsonov, + second or third round pick and maybe a defence like niminia. I dont think if the trade did happen those guys might not come up, but who knows.

#11 ·
marky9er said:
I know you may think I am crazy, but as a Wings fan I would love to see them deal Lidstrom for a marquee forward. Obviously they wouldn't deal him to the west, so I am thinking there are only a few teams in the east that would have something to offer. Any way you look at it Lidstrom is no worse than the 2nd best defenseman in the league. If the Wings could get a #1 center I think they would be better off. The only players I think qualify are LeCavalier or Richards, Drury, or a package including Antoine Vermette. This will probaly never happen of course, but I think it's worth thinking about. I do not believe the Wings have what it takes to compete in the playoffs.
Wow you want another center? Zettaberg Daksuck and Lang are all centers and hate to play the wing. The wings will never deal Lidstrom, and for a center? lol at you.

#17 ·
Sabres Fan said:
This could be a pivatol move considering that he is a decent player.

I think if they put a GREAT and I mean GREAT AAA Hockey Player with that trade they could try for Modano

Why would they want Modano, I mean he's over the hill, I see were your going with that, but I think its too late for that...

Lindstrom has the "C" and I think he will hang em up in Detroit...

I think Lindstrom COULD be out of Detroit for an amaizing young star and a Draft pick...

What do you guys think?

#18 ·
i would really like to see lecavalier in mtl, being a die-hard habs fan. he would fit perfectly between kovalev and latendresse (as higgins would return to the first line). however, tampa would want a strong defender in return more than a samsonov so it would be very tricky for Gainey to sort out such an acquisition, but thinkin bout lecavalier in mtl is exctiting, especially because he WANTS to play for the canadians...

on a side note, im very disappointed with samsonov's lack of production. i knew acquiring him was a bad idea as him and kovalev are too alike to be playing with one another. however i feel montreal's strong depth in defence and goal will be the bait for somebody to take samsonov and bring mtl a strong offensive center!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.