Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

TSN.ca Staff
1/29/2007 9:15:01 PM

The M&M Meat Shops Canadian junior men's and women's curling championships, the first event in the 2007 Season of Champions, get underway in St. Catharines, Ontario on Saturday.

Thirteen men's and 13 women's teams (10 provinces plus Northern Ontario, Northwest Territories and Yukon) will play round robin games at two venues, the St. Catharines Golf & Country Club and Jack Gatecliff Arena. At the conclusion of the round robin, the first place teams advance to their respective finals, while the second and third place finishers meet in semi-finals Friday evening at the Arena.

The men's final is on Saturday, February 10 at 1:30 pm ET, while the women's final takes place Sunday, February 11 at 12:30 pm ET.

The winners will then represent Canada at the world junior curling championships, March 3-11 in Eveleth, Minnesota. Canada has won a leading 15 world junior men's titles since 1975 and eight women's crowns since 1988.

This will mark the second time in six years that St. Catharines has staged the Canadian Juniors. In 2001, it hosted the Kärcher Juniors, won by Newfoundland's Brad Gushue and Prince Edward Island's Suzanne Gaudet, both of whom also went on to capture world junior titles in Ogden, Utah a month later.

At last year's inaugural M&M Meat Shops Canadian Juniors in Thunder Bay, Alberta's Charley Thomas and Saskatchewan's Mandy Selzer emerged as champions. Thomas went on to skip his team to a gold medal at the world juniors in Jeonju, Korea, while Selzer earned a silver medal.

Heading this year's junior men's line-up is the aforementioned Canadian and world champion, Charley Thomas, who along with lead Kyle Reynolds, return to defend their title. However, they have a new third, Brock Virtue and new second, Matt Ng. Thomas will try to join Ontario skip John Morris as the only two-time consecutive winner of Canadian and world junior men's crowns, a feat Morris accomplished in 1998-99.

The roster also includes the youngest skip in Canadian Juniors history, 12-year-old Thomas Scoffin of Yukon, who replaces Prince Edward Island's Brett Gallant as the record-holder. Gallant was 13 years old when he skipped in 2004 and will be representing his province this year for a third time. Other returning skips include Northwest Territories' Colin Miller and Nova Scotia's Dominic Daemen. Ontario will be represented by skip Ryan Myler and his Brampton Curling Club team.

The women's roster is headed by last year's runner-up, Manitoba's Calleen Neufeld, who lost the final to Saskatchewan's Mandy Selzer, 10-6 and who will be making her third consecutive appearance at the national championship.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
230 Posts
I dno if its the same thing, but one of my friend is representing Ontraio :D

He said something like the Jr Briers?
I dno, still pretty sweet LOL

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ontario, Quebec in front in junior curling

Canadian Press
2/4/2007 1:54:23 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Ontario and Quebec each posted dramatic fourth draw wins Sunday to remain tied atop the men's standings at the Canadian junior curling championships.

Ghyslain Richard improved to 3-0 by scoring twice in the ninth end and once more in the 10th to lead Quebec past previously undeafeted P.E.I. 7-6.

Ontario's Ryan Myler matched Richard by scoring four in the ninth end for an 8-6 win over New Brunswick (1-2).

In other action, Nova Scotia beat Newfoundland 6-5, Saskatchewan picked up its first win with an 11-3 whipping of the Northwest Territories and Manitoba kept the Yukon winless with a 6-5 victory.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ontario, Alberta tied at junior curling

Canadian Press
2/4/2007 1:54:56 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Alberta and Ontario easily handled their opponents in the sixth draw Sunday to sit tied atop the men's standings at the Canadian junior curling championships.

Alberta's Charley Thomas improved to 4-0 by scoring seven times in the first four ends en route to an 11-2 thumping of the Northwest Territories.

Ryan Myler helped Ontario ride a similarly quick start to an 8-2 win over Northern Ontario.

Meanwhile, Manitoba evened its record by doubling up New Brunswick 10-5, Yukon got its first win with a 10-3 triumph over Newfoundland and Labrador and P.E.I. topped B.C. 5-2.

On the women's side, Alberta's Kalynn Park was just as dominant as her male counterpart in burying the Northwest Territories 10-1.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alberta beats Ontario at junior curling

Canadian Press
2/5/2007 8:57:12 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Alberta beat Ontario10-4 in seven ends in a battle for first place in the men's standings in Draw 9 action at the Canadian junior curling championships.

Alberta improved to a perfect 6-0 as the round-robin portion of the tournament reached the halfway point.

Charley Thomas' rink scored four in the decisive seventh end to hand Ryan Myler and his teammates their first loss.

Ontario (5-1) fell into a four-way tie for second with Northern Ontario, P.E.I. and Quebec.

Ghyslain Richard's Quebec rink stayed in second place after a 10-6 win over Stephen Burgess' New Brunswick team. Quebec opened up a close game with three points in the eighth end as New Brunswick fell to 2-4.

P.E.I.'s Brett Gallant moved into the second-place tie with a 9-4 win over Andrew Irving's Manitoba rink. P.E.I. blew the match open with four in the eighth end. Manitoba fell to 2-4.

Meanwhile, Northern Ontario kept pace with the top teams after Ryan Harnden's team hammered the Northwest Territories 11-2. Colin Miller's team fell to 0-6.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alberta still unbeaten at curling juniors

Canadian Press
2/6/2007 1:07:38 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Defending champion Charley Thomas of Alberta kept his unbeaten streak intact Tuesday with a 10-3 rout of Saskatchewan's Craig Ochitwa at the Canadian junior men's curling championship.

Thomas stole three in the sixth and seventh ends to remain perfect at 7-0.

Quebec moved into second place at 6-1 after a 7-2 victory over British Columbia. Manitoba dumped Newfoundland and Labrador 9-2 in the other draw 10 match.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PEI moves into first at juniors curling

Canadian Press
2/7/2007 1:29:57 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Prince Edward Island's Brett Gallant defeated New Brunswick's Stephen Burgess 5-3 Wednesday to move into first place at the Canadian men's junior curling championship.

Gallant broke a 3-3 tie with a single in the ninth end before stealing one in the 10th for the victory. P.E.I. improved to 8-1, just ahead of defending champion Charley Thomas of Alberta (7-1), who had the morning session off.

Quebec dropped a 10-5 decision to Nova Scotia, B.C. shaded Manitoba 6-5 and Northern Ontario hammered Yukon 11-4.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
hockey_gurl_13 said:
I dno if its the same thing, but one of my friend is representing Ontraio :D

He said something like the Jr Briers?
I dno, still pretty sweet LOL
Go Ontario! Win at all costs, just don't bother coming home if you loose.

I kid, I kid.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Devereaux rink moves to 10-1

Canadian Press
2/8/2007 3:01:47 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Stacie Devereaux of Newfoundland and Labrador stole one in an extra end for a 9-8 victory over New Brunswick's Mary Jane McGuire at the Canadian junior curling championship Thursday.

Devereaux, who has already clinched first place and a spot in Sunday's women's final, improved to 10-1.

Manitoba defeated Northern Ontario 8-2 and still has a shot at making the playoffs, along with B.C., P.E.I., and Saskatchewan. Nova Scotia beat Alberta 7-4 and Ontario topped Yukon 8-5. The final round-robin matches were scheduled for Thursday night.

In men's play, Alberta's Charley Thomas defeated Nova Scotia's Dominic Daemen 9-6. Thomas, the defending champion, finished the round robin at 11-1 and has locked up a spot in Saturday's final.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Manitoba's Neufeld into to women's final

Canadian Press
2/9/2007 11:01:56 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Manitoba's Calleen Neufeld advanced to the women's final at the Canadian junior curling championships the hard way.

Neufeld qualified for the semifinals with a 9-3 win over Saskatchewan's Hailey Surik in a tiebreaker Friday. Later that evening, Neufeld earned a berth in the championship with a 7-3 victory over B.C.'s Dailene Sivertson.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thomas Wins Men's Junior Curling Championship

Canadian Press
2/10/2007 5:25:11 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Charley Thomas of Alberta is still the Canadian junior men's curling champion.

He defended his title Saturday afternoon with a 7-6, extra end win over Brett Gallant of Prince Edward Island.

Thomas, also the defending world champion, picked up the win when Gallant couldn't push out Alberta's shot rock with his final stone.

The Calgary rink of Thomas, third Brock Virtue, second Matthew Ng and lead Kyle Reynolds advance to the world championship at Eveleth, Minn., next month where they will try to retain that crown, too.

"It's just unbelievable," Thomas said. "I never thought in a million years I'd have this chance. I'm so excited."

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Newfoundland the junior women champions

Canadian Press
2/11/2007 3:51:57 PM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - The Canadian junior women's curling champions are from Newfoundland and Labrador for the first time.

Stacie Devereaux and her St. John's, N.L., rink scored three in the final end to beat Calleen Neufeld of Manitoba 7-6 in the final Sunday.

Neufeld took a 5-4 lead with three in the eighth and then stole another in the ninth. But Devereaux drew to the eight foot with her final stone to secure the three-spot and the victory.

FULL STORY

1 - 12 of 12 Posts