Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went onto Cap Geek and did some guessing and this is what I think the roster will look like.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Shane Doan ($4.550m) / Ray Whitney ($3.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.000m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Raffi Torres ($1.750m)
Brett MacLean ($0.950m) / Kyle Turris ($2.725m) / Lee Stempniak ($1.900m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.612m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.325m) / Lauri Korpikoski ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m)
Derek Morris ($2.750m) / Adrian Aucoin ($2.000m)
Keith Yandle ($1.200m) / David Schlemko ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.000m) / Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS: Patrick O'Sullivan ($0.397m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.158m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $41,593,750; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $22,706,250

It might be to early to guess but this is what I figured.

·
Registered
121 Posts
put in oliver ekman larrson in stead of schlemko and get in a number 1 centre and put whitney back on the wing and we have a competitive team for next year, still need to add $6 million to get up to cap floor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Shane Doan ($4.550m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Ray Whitney ($3.000m)
Lee Stempniak ($1.900m) / Kyle Turris ($2.725m) / Taylor Pyatt ($1.000m)
Radim Vrbata ($3.000m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.325m) / Raffi Torres ($1.750m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($0.700m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.550m) / Mikkel Boedker ($1.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Keith Yandle ($1.200m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Adrian Aucoin ($2.000m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
David Schlemko ($0.550m) / Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m)

GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.000m) / Jason Labarbera ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS: Patrick O'Sullivan ($0.397m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.158m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $42,306,250; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $21,993,750

I think Ekman-Larsson will split time with Schlemko. I really have no idea how the D is going to work because the Coyotes have a really good group of young D.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Will probably look closer to this for the forward corps assuming no #1 center is found or traded for:

Shane Doan - Kyle Turris - Ray Whitney
Radim Vrbata - Martin Hanzal - Raffi Torres
Lee Stempniak - Boyd Gordon - Taylor Pyatt
Lauri Korpikoski - Alex Bolduc - Mikkel Boedker/ Paul Bissonnette/ Brett Maclean

Of course Tip likes to change things up pretty frequently anyways so I wouldn't look at lines as set. The closest certainty is that Hanzal and Vrbata play together because they spent most of last season on the same line. Their chemistry is good and their production is fairly decent. Its similar to how Stempniak and Pyatt played a lot together because of the energy they brought to the 3rd line with Fiddler usually centering the two of them. The only other thing I noticed was that Doan and Turris spend a decent amount of time on the same line. If those trends continue then you might Torres playing on the 2nd line rather than the 3rd (which a lot of people are projecting he will play. Maclean and Boedker are likely to get quality NHL time this year and Bissonnette could see 30+ games. The only real question I see is Bulduc instead of Nokelainen, or they could trade time centering also, again though, thats only if we dont end up finding a quality 1st line center.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As far as defense goes, it could be any of Yandle on with Klesla, Acoin, or Morris next to him. I think I would prefer Klesla because of his side and defensive upside but Acoin and Morris are more likely candidates.

Yandle - Klesla
Acoin - Morris
Gomrley/Schlemko/Ekman-Larsson - Rozsival

I also see Gormley getting some playing time in the NHL, especially if he has a strong training camp. We could end up trading Schlemko in December/January if Ekman-Larsson or Ghormley can make the jump. If we see either of them do it, chances are good that Klesla will be their partner to keep the defensive side of that line in check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eh..

I don't think Bolduc will be playing a full time role. He has never played a full season for the Canucks. I am not sure who will fill that center position. Might end up being a rotating door of prospects unless a solid center gets signed.

I agree that the Coyotes will trade a defensman to make room for the younger players ready for a full time role in the NHL. The free agency frenzy isn't over, so the roster is still any ones guess.

You forgot to add Summers to that rotation of young D. :] The Coyotes have a lot of young D that are very skilled.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Summer is a talented defenseman but Im not sure he would be able to beat out the likes of Gormley, EL, and Sshlemko this year. I would almost grantee that he'll make the roster over the course of the next 3 years baring any trade hes involved in. Another defensive option to bring in could be Anton Babchuk, the kid has a rocket of a shot and scored 16 goals when he was on the cains a few years back. His 8 last season (total of 11 between CGY and CAR) wasnt too bad but he was playing for the flames so I wouldnt have expected much.

On a note for getting a top line center, we could always invest in a 1 year contract with Vaclav Prospal. He has played on a cup winning team (TB Lightning) and is a capable center. Adding his veteran presence for next year could be a good thing, even if he falls from the top center roll. He has 2 downsides to him which could sway Malony however, he is old, and he has become injury prone. Going with Prospal is a risky move but if it pans out then it could be worth it. If there isnt a center available via trade then I also think Zenon Konopka is a good option. Even though he wont help score, he will intimidate teams and win face offs to allow players who can score the chance to. Could make the perfect 3-4 line guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Summers will rotate in and out even though he might not be the most talented D man he needs some NHL experience. He played only two games last year, I think he will see more this year. The defensive end of the ice is covered very well.

Here are the free-agent centers available according to Yahoos NHL free-agent tracker.

Team Player Age ’10/11 salary

Buffalo Rob Niedermayer 35 $1,250,000

Columbus Andrew Murray 28 $625,000

Dallas Brian Sutherby 28 $812,000

Detroit Kris Draper 39 $1,583,000

Detroit Mike Modano 40 $1,250,000

Edmonton Alexandre Giroux 29 $500,000

Florida Patrick Rissmiller 31 $1,000,000

Florida Ryan Carter 26 $625,000

Minne John Madden 37 $1,250,000

N.Y. Isla Zenon Konopka 29 $600,000

N.Y. Ran Todd White 35 $2,375,000

N.Y. Ran Vinny Prospal 35 $2,100,000

Nashville Jerred Smithson 31 $738,000

Nashville Jamie Lundmark 29 $600,000

Ottawa Ryan Shannon 27 $625,000

Phoenix Petr Prucha 27 $1,100,000

San Jose Scott Nichol 35 $760,000

Washin Michael Nylander 37 $4,875,000

Washin Jason Arnott 35 $4,500,000

Winni Jason Krog 34 $550,000

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea I saw that list, thats where I picked out Prospals name after some thought on if he would work out ok here. I really want to see Korpikoski, Yandle, Boedker and Turris resigned quickly, once thats done then maybe see if the NHL will let us take a poke at Stamkos. Its extremely unlikely but would be absolutely awesome to see happen, though on the down side we would end up giving up 4 1st round picks for the next 4 years as well as the cap hit he would take up. Maloney doesn't seem much into long term deals so any deal made with Stamkos would likely be in the 8-11 million cap hit range. Even though it wont happen I still like to think about the possibilities haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stamkos would be way out of the Coyotes budget and out of the GMDMs plans to build from within. I think these 4 would be solid picks.

Buffalo Rob Niedermayer 35 $1,250,000

Washin Michael Nylander 37 $4,875,000

Ottawa Ryan Shannon 27 $625,000

Washin Jason Arnott 35 $4,500,00

Looking at Shannons stats I think he would be a perfect fit for the Coyotes that are on a budget.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rob has signed in europ, he intends to play there. Michael Nylander is not even good enough to make the regular roster on a team with no depth at center (like the yotes) so I don't see him being brought in. Jason likely wont be joining us though I guess he could and I actually don't know anything about Shannon so I would make him the most likely candidate that you mentioned and thats only based off the fact that I know nothing about him. He could potentially be someone of interest that I just haven't caught onto at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts