Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to believe that the injuries are piling up at an even greater rate than last year. 40 games, 215 man games lost to injury. That's over 5 players per game.

And it just keeps getting worse. Current injuries:
Crosby - consussion out indefinitely
Letang - consussion out indefinietly
Jeffery - knee injury had kept him out all year.
Asham - knee duration unknown
Staal - Left Saturdays game with knee injury, will be out 4-6 weeks.
Neal - Broken foot in Saturday's game, will likely be out several weeks.
Adams - hurt knee in practice Sunday, status unknown.

Most of these are not day to day things but week to week to KEY players in the lineup. And its been that way the whole year.

Yikes, someone please find a four leaf clover or something

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to look and see who's on waivers or the Pens will never make the playoffs.
I don't think that the waiver wire will help much. At least Neil was not injured as bad as thought. Although Simon Despres went down and did not come back last night. You know its getting bad when your replacements start going down too.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bright side has been that they are still getting chances. Their second in the league in shots on goal, albiet alot are from the perimeter. But Neil(thank goodness it wasn't a broken foot) and Malkin are trying to carry the team.

Now that the defense is mostly healty except for Letang(some one better take on Pacioretty next weekend), I think they'll tighten up the defense and try to win the low scoring games.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Letang returned to the lineup last night. HORRAY

Oh, but Asham is not out with concussion like symptoms. sigh. Good trade in the lineup, but the consussion stuff has got to stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some good and bad news on the injury front...

The bad:

Crosby is still feeling symptoms, "I feel like I'm getting there. Wish I had a timeframe, but I don't. I'll be skating by myself back in Pittsburgh. I'm not symptom free. Soon as I am, I'll be out there."

The good:

According to Bylsma, both Staal and Despres are about "5-10 days" away from playing.

Side note: TK is back in Pittsburgh for re-evaluation of a lower-body injury.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was worried when Staal went down in the Rangers game. When a player starts grabbing the knee, its normally not a good sign. Great to get him back in the lineup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was worried when Staal went down in the Rangers game. When a player starts grabbing the knee, its normally not a good sign. Great to get him back in the lineup.
I hear ya'. I thought it was one of those "might be back in time for the playoffs" injuries. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

At this point, we need all the offense we can get. Outside of the Malkin line, our offense isn't getting it done. Take away Malkin and Neal, and we are averaging 1.5 goals per game over the past two months. That's not going to get it done come playoff time.

Even if Crosby comes back in the foreseeable future, I'm hoping Shero makes a move and brings in some scoring depth. Quite frankly, I don't think he has a choice seeing as how our offense is struggling.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm hoping Shero makes a move for a top-six winger. Quite frankly, I don't think he has a choice seeing as how our offense is struggling.
I agree 100% but if there will be a trade who would the Pens give up ???

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree 100% but if there will be a trade who would the Pens give up ???
Ray Shero is a heck of a lot better at this stuff than I am, but aside from our top notch players and prospects, I would listen to every call that comes my way if I were Shero.

Again, I'm not talking about Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Orpik, Morrow, Despres, Fleury or Neal. The others? I would definately pick up the phone and at least listen to the offers. I wouldn't consider any of them "off limits" if I were Shero.

In your opinion and aside from the names I've already mentioned, would you consider any other players "untouchable" when February 27th rolls around?

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ray Shero is a heck of a lot better at this stuff than I am, but aside from our top notch players and prospects, I would listen to every call that comes my way if I were Shero.

Again, I'm not talking about Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Orpik, Morrow, Despres, Fleury or Neal. The others? I would definately pick up the phone and at least listen to the offers. I wouldn't consider any of them "off limits" if I were Shero.

In your opinion and aside from the names I've already mentioned, would you consider any other players "untouchable" when February 27th rolls around?
First off, I consider NO ONE untouchable. For the good of the team. anyway . . .
To be honest, I've lost my patience with Paul Martin. For the salary he's getting, we could do much better. He's struggled this year, and we have young defenseman in waiting. Shed his $5M/year and find a scoring winger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts