Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently every single call has been going against the rangers its getting really ridiculous. Brent Burns took a run at Prucha with an elbow and WE got a penalty. Now Orr hits Cullen with a clean hit, and he gets dished a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. Come on.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Dec 07
1,037 Posts
If there's one thing that I've noticed as a constant over the last few years, it's every fan seems to thikn they're team is getting the raw end of the deal when it comes to officiating.

The solution? Get competant officating with a strong league office to keep them on track. Of course for that it'd require an complete overhaul...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Every team gets the short end of the stick from time to time.
Not only the Rangers but a few other teams around the NHL seem to always get craped on by the officiating and it never seems to rarely stop. The funny thing about it is that happens with only a select few Referees.

Who's to say the Refs call the games in equal fairness. IMO at times there not. Just take a look at NBA referee Tim Donaghy he was investigated for betitng on games and ones he officiated in as well. So to say it happens in Pro sports is obvious. As for the NHL the need is there to look over some of the really bad calls throughout the league and question just why there happening.

PS: Amo i really wanted to respond to short end of the stick in a different way but decided against it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
987 Posts
The call was a joke but hardly surprising. I would expect the NHL to rescind the game misconduct.

The truly amazing thing was that Orr was given a major and a game misconduct for interference! And what's even more amazing is that Cullen had the puck up until about 1/10 of a second before the collision and the puck was less than a foot away from Cullen when he was hit.

The replay clearly showed that Cullen was knocked out because the players heads collided. The replay also showed that elbows and sticks were down. But the referee had to find a reason to throw Orr out of the game.

When Lindros was signed by the Rangers there was a stretch of 4 or 5 games in a row where the Rangers were given game misconducts for alleged cheap shots that no one saw but the referees who called them. They were all rescinded by the NHL after the games so they didn't go against the player's records but of course they didn't replay the games.

Fortunately tonight's crappy call didn't cost the Rangers the game but it very well could have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g2WyoNSu30

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's a better video

and

hmm, what's that red thing in Cullen's face? Orr's helmet OR HIS GLOVE? I admit it, it was not elbowing, but it's still a hit to the head with the hand/forearm. It may not worth a suspension, but surely a major and a game misconduct.

·
Registered
987 Posts
There's a better video

and

hmm, what's that red thing in Cullen's face? Orr's helmet OR HIS GLOVE? I admit it, it was not elbowing, but it's still a hit to the head with the hand/forearm. It may not worth a suspension, but surely a major and a game misconduct.

Orr's glove is NOT in Cullen's face. I watched the replay in high definition. Orr's glove hit Cullen's shoulder. You can see it somewhat in your blurry still picture. The white behind the glove is the side of Cullen's helmet so Orr's glove can't possibly be in his face.

I'm glad that Cullen got up in a few seconds, even though he wasn't very steady.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Whether or not he hit heads with him or got his arms/his elbow up, he definitely hit high. He intended to hit him high. He brought his arms up to make the hit and he definitely had them high enough to hit his head. I'll let you guys argue whether they coincidently hit heads or that he laid Cullen out with a head shot.

I don't think it really deserves a suspension but I do think Orr's only intention was to catch him off guard and land a hard hit on a vulnerable player.

Suspension or no suspension, the Rangers need to teach Sean Avery how to know when enough is enough. Starting a fight after the referee has already tied you up and then attempting to punch through the referees to hit Ladd is pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2G5Etrf_Uc

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Whether or not he hit heads with him or got his arms/his elbow up, he definitely hit high. He intended to hit him high. He brought his arms up to make the hit and he definitely had them high enough to hit his head. I'll let you guys argue whether they coincidently hit heads or that he laid Cullen out with a head shot.

I don't think it really deserves a suspension but I do think Orr's only intention was to catch him off guard and land a hard hit on a vulnerable player.

Suspension or no suspension, the Rangers need to teach Sean Avery how to know when enough is enough. Starting a fight after the referee has already tied you up and then attempting to punch through the referees to hit Ladd is pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2G5Etrf_Uc
Orr had a bloddy eye from cullens helmet. If Orr wanted to use his hands on his face he prob would have seeing how he had his arms under Cullens head area which is not a penalty. its obvious he was protecting himself if the hands were not there cullens injury may have been worse.

As for Ladd he never skated away he still skated towards avery with every intention to toss punches. The refs had no buisness trying to hold eithier back. And after the Avery punches the Rangers came out alive in the third and scored 3 times. He adds a lot of energy to any line-up as much as people hate him.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I didn't like Avery trying to hit Ladd while the officials were there either. However, the linesman was holding Avery off and Ladd skated over to them which in my book makes Ladd the instigator. If an official is holding off an opponent you have no right to pick a fight when the other player is restrained and you're not.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Just as I said after it happened, the NHL rescinded the game misconduct today proving that it was a horrible call.
Funny how no one has responded yet to this that thought Orr's hit was dirty.

As for rescinding the Major it goes to show you that the NHL refs are flawed in there calls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts