Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, having followed the EIHL in England for a couple of years I started watching the NHL on TV and as my NFL team are the Broncos I thought i'd better follow the Avalanche out of loyalty! lol

I followed them pretty closely last season and am dissapointed having lost Tanguay but what do you guys make of their chances this coming season??

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

As for your question: Well, I think Colorado isn't as bad as some may think. They still have a good Coach behind the bench in Joel Quenneville, and I'm sure that he can get a player like Arnason going again.

Their offence is still pretty good really. Even though losing Tangauy will hurt them a bit, they still have enough players to have a very good year this time around. Svatos, Wolski, and all.

If anything I'd say that it's goaltending that's the question mark. Theodore was very shakey last season, and in the playoffs he took his time to start playing decently.

The defence has taken some major hits though. Losing Blake this year, and Foote in the year before. They got Leopold in that deal for Tanguay. He's okay, but will be out for a bit after having surgery (Hernia?). Then there's Liles (who was paired with Blake a lot I think), Briseboise (who I haven't seen play much lately, but I heard he improved a little). Not bad. Vanaanen and Skrastins can be very solid out there. I think they also signed Ken Klee. The minutes could be spread out quite a bit among them.

Their defence isn't powerful, but I think it's okay. Not as bad as it could have been.

Overall, I think they'll have a pretty good team. Not great like years before, but they could still make the playoffs if their players perform well enough.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
matt44 said:
Hey Guys, having followed the EIHL in England for a couple of years I started watching the NHL on TV and as my NFL team are the Broncos I thought i'd better follow the Avalanche out of loyalty! lol

I followed them pretty closely last season and am dissapointed having lost Tanguay but what do you guys make of their chances this coming season??
aboard matt44!!

The Avalanche will compete hard, like they always do, but I don't think they'll win the cup!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think it all lies on Theodore's shoulders.
Should he play consistent like we all know he can, then the Av's fans have nothing to worry about. They may be a little thin offensively, but so was Calgary last season. Kiprussoff bailed them out, and they made the playoffs regardless.

Mind you, they have a pretty good backup in Budaj as well. I personally don't think that their goaltending will be problematic.

I see them making the playoffs, but have a hard time seeing the team making it much further than the 2nd round. I'll be surprised if they *don't* make the playoffs, though. That'll mean Theodore came back playing as he did in montreal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts