Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
8/2/2006 12:52:16 PM

Contract talks between the Philadelphia Flyers and restricted free agent winger Simon Gagne are still going slowly, but general manager Bob Clarke is confident that a deal can be completed soon.

"We had contact yesterday and today, but we're still apart in how much we should pay Simon," Clarke said Wednesday.

"We'll continue to work at it and try and get it done, but right now there is a gap in salary demands."

agne is coming off a career-high 47 goals and wants a big raise over the $2 million he earned last year.

Another team could make Gagne a contract offer but that hasn't happen to a restricted free agent since Sergei Fedorov got an offer sheet from the Carolina Hurricanes in February 1998, which the Detroit Red Wings matched.

Any offer over $5 million a season would cost a club four first-round draft picks.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
$5M for Gagne seems worth it. He scored 47 goals last year (and 32 assists), and he has excellent chemistry with Forsberg.

The Flyers need this guy, and I don't see anyone on the team that can replace who I think is a franchise player like him at this time.

That, and it sounds like it's a 1 year deal. Better to get a player like him inked in long-term, but making it 1 year (or 2) takes a lot of the weight off of his contract if he happens to faulter, since $5M is still $5M.

That's what also makes Briere's deal still look decent. Not great, but decent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble line is crucial to Philadelphia's success. They need to sign him, and Gagne knows this. That is the reason why they cannot decide on an amount. I really hope they sign him to a 3-4 year contract.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheShow said:
The Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble line is crucial to Philadelphia's success. They need to sign him, and Gagne knows this. That is the reason why they cannot decide on an amount. I really hope they sign him to a 3-4 year contract.
aboard TheShow!!

I don't think they'll sign him to a long term deal, maybe 2 at the most, if it's more than 2, I'll be surprised.:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hah thx for the welcome. Yea you're probably right, the deal will likely just be for one year. I'm a huge Flyers fan, gotta keep my hopes up. If they do only sign him for one year then both him and forsberg will be FA's at the end of the season.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheShow said:
Hah thx for the welcome. Yea you're probably right, the deal will likely just be for one year. I'm a huge Flyers fan, gotta keep my hopes up. If they do only sign him for one year then both him and forsberg will be FA's at the end of the season.
Your welcome!!

How did you get into the Flyers living in Kingston? The obvious question, why not the Leafs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ron Hextall and Grant Snow were goalies for Philadelphia a while back. When I was really young I would watch the highlights on sportsdesk in the morning before school and I'd always see clips of their fights. I love watching goalies fight.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheShow said:
Ron Hextall and Grant Snow were goalies for Philadelphia a while back. When I was really young I would watch the highlights on sportsdesk in the morning before school and I'd always see clips of their fights. I love watching goalies fight.
So it's all about the goalies!! :laugh:

If they do only sign him for one year then both him and forsberg will be FA's at the end of the season.
This is exactly why I don't think Gagne will sign for more than a year, 2 tops!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts