Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK, I got a million of 'em. Once in the early 80's the hawks were tied for best record with the bruins and it was pretty late in the season. My buddy Bud scored 4 tickets for the game and we went with "Gump" the goalie and our other buddy Levy. Gump had just returned from holiday in Canada with a case of Molson Bradors which was like malt liquor for white guys.

We had a few on the way down to the game and parked the car. I was still finishing mine and Bud told me to finish up or we'd get busted by the police because they were cracking down on all the drinking before games in the parking lot. I told him "here'you finish it" and handed it to him as we rounded the corner on Madison. Justthen a car pulls over and two Chicago plainsclothes cops jump out and handcuff he and Levy who were syill holdng the bottles. Gumper and i pleaded with the cops to let 'em go but they were in the back of the squad in a flash. I begged the cop to at least let us have their tickets to the game and as the car sped off a couple of tix flew out the window. We didn't quite know what to do; we didn't have a lot of cash to bail 'em out so we scalped all four of our tickets and walked up to the Wood St. Station which was quite an adventure in that neighborhood.

We bailed 'em out and had just enough for a cab ride back to the Stadium
where we hung out trying to talk our way in until Gump's buddy Danny the Zamboni driver came out to dump the zam between the second and third periods. We told him the story and he let us in to stand by the zam door and
watch the rest of the game. The hawks won it 1-0 midway thru the third and we departed happy. I think Al Secord scored the winner in his first game as a Hawk vs his old teammates.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chicago stadium bulova clock

Here is a photo of the old bulova clock at chicago stadium. boston garden and olympia stadium besides chicago stadium also had bulova clocks.this clock is in storage at the hockey hall of fame in toronto.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
press box

This is the seating area below the pressbox on the opposite end of where the organ loft was.there was steps that you would have to walk up to go to the press box.you can see steps in this photo that took you to the press box at chicago stadium.

Attachments

·
Super Leafs Fan
4,714 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
In this photo chicago stadium is on the right across the street from the new stadium.
look at the size difference! I know united center fits 20,500 for hockey..how much did the stadium seat for hockey>

·
Registered
13 Posts
My favorite memory of the stadium.

Phil Esposito is walking back to the room between periods and a kid asks for his autograph. Phil tells the kid to :censure:
A guy (Mike C.) hears Phil say this and Mike being 3 sheets to the wind jumps the railing and pounds the crap out of Phil in the tunnel.

Funny thing is.............Mike doesn't even get kicked out.

My favorite moment as a Hawk fan............."Chanting Detroit Sucks." "You shop at Aldi" and "Go home White Trash" when detroit comes to town.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That was the BEST stadium ever.

But some of my favorite memories are.....Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals angainst the Pens. in '93.

And around the same time frame.....if you sat in the upper balcony they had these big sound deadening boards on the walls. People would start pounding on them to get the crowd pumped up.

The Loudness!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chicago Stadium

I saw your Stadium pics and loved them.
I am decorating my office in a Hawks theme. I am looking for a picture of the Stadium rink and old Bulova scoreboard wide shot with a crowd and teams to make into a mural/wallpaper for one wall. Can you help or steer me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Officially, the Stadium held 16,667 for hockey...

more when Wirtz slipped the Fire Marshal a little extra cash....... :^D

By the way, the Stadium clock in the photo (great picture, by the way) was installed in 1943.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts