Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I'd like to start with this:

If you are in this topic to bash the CFL please do not post

The topic of this is simply to discuss what is happening in the CFL, going week by week... mmm kay?

I'll start it off...

The west is looking a lot weaker than everything thought it'd be I guess, as the Lions somehow lost to Hamilton while Saskatchewans "star" QB now has a broken leg...

This leaves Edmonton and Winnipeg as the two best in the west... and Edmonton takes on Montreal tonight in a CFL-Greycup rematch, can't wait!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Winnipeg lost to Ottawa...how sad is that...hopfully it was just a mistake and Winnipeg will correct themselves next game.

I didnt expect Hamilton to beat BC, but could have been a fluke aswell. I think that Edmonton will beat Montreal like 22-28 maybe...im sure it will be a close game.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
PDO said:
Alright... I'd like to start with this:

If you are in this topic to bash the CFL please do not post

The topic of this is simply to discuss what is happening in the CFL, going week by week... mmm kay?

I'll start it off...

The west is looking a lot weaker than everything thought it'd be I guess, as the Lions somehow lost to Hamilton while Saskatchewans "star" QB now has a broken leg...

This leaves Edmonton and Winnipeg as the two best in the west... and Edmonton takes on Montreal tonight in a CFL-Greycup rematch, can't wait!
Slow down Edmonton hasn't played yet, and winnipeg, I will say this looked terrible, the Riders will survive, because of there running game, and in Dave Dickerson is healthy, hes the best QB in the gaqme, so I wouldnt count the west out yet.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ratkiler4 said:
Winnipeg lost to Ottawa...how sad is that...hopfully it was just a mistake and Winnipeg will correct themselves next game.

I didnt expect Hamilton to beat BC, but could have been a fluke aswell. I think that Edmonton will beat Montreal like 22-28 maybe...im sure it will be a close game.
Hamilton beating BC wasnt a fluke, Printers, played way better then a hurt Dave Dickerson, and it really seemed like Hamilton's Offence clicked, that was a great game to watch, hopefully Montreal beats Edmonton, so winnipeg still has a chance.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Saskatchewan will survive because Henry Burris is a good quarterback and many argue that he should be starting anyways. The Argos started off pretty good. Allen looked great in the win the only concern I had was how the Argos started to slip in the 2nd half (0 points) in the game. The Renegades and the Tiger-Cats looked impressive (The Tiger-Cats) especially).

I think that tonight's game will be great. I think that the Als will get revenge on their home turf tonight and take it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How about the Ti-Cats, already matching their win total from last year! I was very impressed at the play of Casey Printers for the Lions last night.

The Grey Cup rematch should be a dandy. How will Jason Maas do once again as the #1 QB in Edmonton? I think the Eskies will win a close one tonight.

·
Super Leafs Fan
4,714 Posts
I'm surprised at how the CFL has come back in popularity in this region (S. Ontario).

26,000 in skydome for a game last week between the Argos and Roughriders. (largest crowd since 2000)
And in Hamiltion, they drew 22,000 for a Preseason game! (that's more than they ever drew last year, including a labour day game)

Also media coverage here seems to have increased over the CFL compared to last year.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go_leafs_go02 said:
I'm surprised at how the CFL has come back in popularity in this region (S. Ontario).

26,000 in skydome for a game last week between the Argos and Roughriders. (largest crowd since 2000)
And in Hamiltion, they drew 22,000 for a Preseason game! (that's more than they ever drew last year, including a labour day game)

Also media coverage here seems to have increased over the CFL compared to last year.
That is great to hear.. the grass is finally getting greener here!

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the Esk's win 31-24 tonight. Maas is once again going to be THE man in Edmonton!

BTW, could a mod sticky this topic?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
go_leafs_go02 said:

Yeah, nice to see some new turf in the Skydome for Argo games. Most players said the old turf (the one they use for Jays games I guess) was killer on them.

·
Super Leafs Fan
4,714 Posts
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
go_leafs_go02 said:

Yeah, nice to see some new turf in the Skydome for Argo games. Most players said the old turf (the one they use for Jays games I guess) was killer on them.
why don't they get the fieldturf like in Montreal in there..they now have the crappiest turf in the leagues (the blue jays that is)

Get this! some professional soccer teams are playing there in late July, and they are installed REAL grass!

of course, once they're done, it will be all trucked out./ :twisted:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
go_leafs_go02 said:
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
go_leafs_go02 said:

why don't they get the fieldturf like in Montreal in there..they now have the crappiest turf in the leagues (the blue jays that is)

Get this! some professional soccer teams are playing there in late July, and they are installed REAL grass!

Its because Rogers is very cheap :wink:

I wonder if the "new" Argos stadium will have real grass in it.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
go_leafs_go02 said:
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
go_leafs_go02 said:

Its because Rogers is very cheap :wink:

I wonder if the "new" Argos stadium will have real grass in it.
I heard that it will not. I believe that Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton is the only CFL stadium with grass. I heard the Argos want to take the stuff they're using at Skydome this season with them to Varsity.

·
Banned
4,489 Posts
gojetsgo said:
hopefully Montreal beats Edmonton, so winnipeg still has a chance.
Huh? Oh I guess since this is week one, all playoff spots will be decided after this weekend. :roll:

Laugh out loud to the so-called "mighty" Lions losing to the former 1-17 Tiger Cats. :lol: It was a great game last night, as both teams had their offences on track. The game stayed close and provided for some exciting plays.

I'm so happy that there is football back. I've been looking forward to tonight's tilt in Montreal ever since the schedule came out. It'll be a great one... rematches of the previous year's Championship game is always exciting, especially this one since they've played one another for the last two Grey Cups.

The "Defence of the Turf," or Grey Cup begins tonight... GO ESKIES!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Leaferfan87 said:
I heard that it will not. I believe that Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton is the only CFL stadium with grass. I heard the Argos want to take the stuff they're using at Skydome this season with them to Varsity.
That's sucks :( Too bad the plan for that football/soccer stadium fell through. I'd much rather that than a renovated Varsity Stadium. I honestly think the team is better off staying in the Skydome.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
Leaferfan87 said:
That's sucks :( Too bad the plan for that football/soccer stadium fell through. I'd much rather that than a renovated Varsity Stadium. I honestly think the team is better off staying in the Skydome.
The Varsity site might be a football/soccer stadium. No, Varsity Stadium is being completely rebuilt actually and will hope to sit around 25,000 people.

Just wondering, what are your problems with the Varsity Site Leafs_Fa_Life?

·
Registered
489 Posts
anyone planning on coming up to the Grey Cup here in Ottawa.

gonna be crazy times.. I know that there are still lots of tickets left.. only 20,000 odd sold with 20,000 left!!

·
Banned
4,489 Posts
tekaos said:

gonna be crazy times.. I know that there are still lots of tickets left.. only 20,000 odd sold with 20,000 left!!
I maybe going, as it's only a 8 hour drive (worth it for going to Ottawa), but there are still some arrangements I have to make before I actually buy the tickets.

I don't like that stadium as a host. It's fairly old and doesn't have many seats. I hope that they plan to bring in auxilery seating.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Leaferfan87 said:
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
Leaferfan87 said:
The Varsity site might be a football/soccer stadium. No, Varsity Stadium is being completely rebuilt actually and will hope to sit around 25,000 people.

Well good to hear they're completely rebuilding it. I'd still rather have a natural grass stadium though.

My problem with the Varsity spot is there's absolutely no parking in the area. I was listening to the radio and there's 100 parking spots areound the Varsity site and I don't believe there's plans to build any more parking. So unless you're like me and live near a subway station (mind you its Kennedy so that's still 30-45 minutes away) how are you gonna get to the games? I assume most people with a car would rather drive. That brings me to another problem, why are we still building stadiums in the downtown core? There's 5-6 million people in the GTA, and only about 1 million live in the downtown core. So why don't we build a stadium on a highway? Doesn't that make sense since it would be more convienent(sp?) for the bulk of the people driving to these games.

·
Registered
489 Posts
J.R. the Sports Czar said:
tekaos said:

I maybe going, as it's only a 8 hour drive (worth it for going to Ottawa), but there are still some arrangements I have to make before I actually buy the tickets.

I don't like that stadium as a host. It's fairly old and doesn't have many seats. I hope that they plan to bring in auxilery seating.
Yeah the stadium is pretty brutal.. however they are bringing in seating at the endzones... I think it sits around 28,000 or so.. and they are hoping to bring the available seats to just under 50,000

I'm always in the South side.. ghetto mofo that I am..

South side is way more fun anyway

NORTH SIDE SUCKS !!!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
Leaferfan87 said:
Leafs_Fa_Life said:
Leaferfan87 said:

Well good to hear they're completely rebuilding it. I'd still rather have a natural grass stadium though.

My problem with the Varsity spot is there's absolutely no parking in the area. I was listening to the radio and there's 100 parking spots areound the Varsity site and I don't believe there's plans to build any more parking. So unless you're like me and live near a subway station (mind you its Kennedy so that's still 30-45 minutes away) how are you gonna get to the games? I assume most people with a car would rather drive. That brings me to another problem, why are we still building stadiums in the downtown core? There's 5-6 million people in the GTA, and only about 1 million live in the downtown core. So why don't we build a stadium on a highway? Doesn't that make sense since it would be more convienent(sp?) for the bulk of the people driving to these games.
The parking issue is really one of the turnoffs of the Varsity site. They would have to build adequate parking nearby and that area is already pretty built up.

Any Alouette fans out there...is there a problem with parking at Molson Stadium?

1 - 20 of 543 Posts