Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was a pretty good game, back and forth through the whole game!!

Two late TDs lift Roughriders over Lions

Canadian Press
6/25/2006 11:25:00 PM

REGINA (CP) - Danny Barrett called it a routine play, but Jamel Richardson's late touchdown ignited an improbable comeback for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Richardson's 49-yard touchdown romp on a short pass from Kerry Joseph, followed 17 seconds later by a 34-yard interception return touchdown by Eddie Davis, provided the 14 last-minute points that gave Saskatchewan a 32-24 victory over the B.C. Lions.

Saskatchewan, which had lost 45-28 to the Lions on June 16, created a four-way tie for first place with B.C., Calgary and Edmonton, all at 1-1.

''It was a routine play, but a big man like that, running that fast, he's hard to bring down,'' Barrett, the Roughriders head coach, said. ''Hopefully, it shows him what he can do on a football field. It isn't about potential anymore; it's about taking advantage of opportunities and elevating his play.''

Richardson had been mistakenly referred to as ''Jamal'' before this season, his fourth with the Roughriders. Last year he caught 55 passes in the regular season but never reached the end zone.

At the newly-renamed Mosaic Stadium, formerly known as Taylor Field, the six-foot-three, 215-pound Richardson took a short pass over the middle from Joseph and weaved his way through three would-be tacklers before crossing the goal line.

''I turned it up and I saw how deep (the Lions' defenders) had got,'' Richardson said, ''so I figured, if I could make a couple of people miss, I would score. Once I saw I was one-on-one with the safety, I knew he wouldn't tackle me.''

It was exactly the type of yards-after-catch reception that Saskatchewan has projected from the 24-year-old Richardson since his arrival.

Richardson led Saskatchewan receivers with 86 yards on five receptions. Joseph struggled for most of the game, completing 19 of 31 passes for 211 yards but augmenting that with 92 yards rushing on 11 carries.

Lions quarterback Dave Dickenson, who riddled the Roughriders for five touchdown passes in the season opener, led his team to a touchdown on its first possession but was hard-pressed to finish with 279 yards on 29-for-43 passing. B.C. managed just 56 yards rushing with Dickenson getting 38 of that.

''We're not running the ball as well as we should,'' Dickenson said. ''You need the run to keep them honest, but personally I think you win or lose throwing the ball. We don't need to force-feed things. Saskatchewan is tough to run against no matter what.''

Dickenson threw touchdown passes of one yard to defensive tackle Tyrone Williams (playing tight end on a third-and-goal offensive situation) and four yards to Geroy Simon. In an odd twist of personnel shuffling, former Saskatchewan placekicker Paul McCallum spent the entire game on the sideline resting a hamstring injury while Rob Pikula, whom the Roughriders cut after the pre-season, handled placekicks and punts. Pikula kicked field goals of 35 and 18 yards, one convert, punted for 60- and 55-yard singles, and added another single on an errant 30-yard field goal attempt. Antonio Warren ran for a two-point convert.

Matt Dominguez scored Saskatchewan's other touchdown on a 14-yard pass from Joseph. Luca Congi converted all three Roughrider majors and booted field goals of 37, 41 and 35 yards. Pikula conceded a safety for Saskatchewan's other points.

B.C. returns to action Friday in Toronto against the Argonauts. Saskatchewan has a week off before a home game July 8 against the Calgary Stampeders.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
I am sure that here in the detroit area there are fans of the CFL. we get the games on the CBC from windsor ontario.
Do you get TSN in the Detroit area? Probably not!! I guess that was a stupid question!! :laugh:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
No we dont get TSN over here in detroit. but we do get ESPN in the states.
Yeah, but they wouldn't carry the CFL games.

Did you follow the CFL when you were living in Canada?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alouettes will win the grey cup.:cheeky4:

In our first game our mvp calvillo was having a bad game and we still won + we were without 6 starters.

We won the second game pretty easily against a tough tiger-cats team + without 5 starters.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sanitarium said:
Alouettes will win the grey cup.:cheeky4:

In our first game our mvp calvillo was having a bad game and we still won + we were without 6 starters.

We won the second game pretty easily against a tough tiger-cats team + without 5 starters.
Now that Ottawa is gone,AGAIN!!! I hope Winnipeg wins it!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Rumour was the CFL had a possible owner that wanted to put a team in Windsor. They would be based in Windsor but play their home games in the Pontiac Silverdome since it's nice and empty. Would love to see the CFL rebuild and go to 10 teams.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rumour was the CFL had a possible owner that wanted to put a team in Windsor. They would be based in Windsor but play their home games in the Pontiac Silverdome since it's nice and empty. Would love to see the CFL rebuild and go to 10 teams.
I heard something like that as well!! Nothing since though!!

How do you feel about these topics:

- Ticats firing Marshall, and Lancaster's return?
- My Opinion - He didn't have a winning record, they had to do it!!

- Tom Wright stepping down after this season?
- My Opinion - A little to late, but it's about time!!

- Changing the name of Taylor Field to Mosaic Stadium?
- My Opinion - Don't like it at all, but I understand why they did it!!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
panoo2004 said:
- My Opinion - A little to late, but it's about time!!
Tom Wright might not have been the best for the CFL on a franchise level but he did manage to do some great things in the marketing department. He got the CFL on Sirius Satelite Radio, this year's US broadcast schedule gets every CFL game on air Stateside with only 5 or 6 being tape delay the rest are live, he got the CFL onto 4 Canadian broadcasting networks during his reign and raised the revenue from TV rights to their highest point ever (even got CBC to return to a full season long schedule instead of their fall schedule that they had been running), found real ownership for Toronto and Hamilton, got the CFL and CFLPA to agree on a real salary cap and has gotten real expansion interest generated in 5 Canadian cities (Windsor, Quebec City, Halifax, Saskatoon and Ottawa again). Trouble is a CFL commish is a mere puppet compared to the commish in other sports. He works directly for the owners and needs them to stay in his role. Can't offend the guys that sign your paycheque and can get rid of you in a hurry.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Late boot lifts Ticats to first win

July 14, 2006

HAMILTON (CP) -- A new coach and a new kicker was just the tonic for the struggling Hamilton Tiger-Cats as they pulled out their first win of the season, 20-17 over the Calgary Stampeders at Ivor Wynne Stadium Friday night.

Mark Myers, the 23-year-old rookie kicker called to Hamilton earlier this week from his Florida home, nailed a 44-yard field goal with time expired to give his new team their first victory of the season.

With the win, the Tiger-Cats improve to 1-4, while the Stampeders drop to 3-2.

Corey Holmes, who returned to the line-up after missing two games with a turned ankle, gave Hamilton the 17-14 lead with 6:48 left in the game on a 15-yard touchdown run up the middle, but a 37-yard field goal by Calgary's Sandro DeAngelis tied it at 17 with less than two minutes to go.

Calgary won the last meeting with Hamilton, the third game of the

season, on a last-second field goal, a 23-22 score.

The game marked the venerable Ron Lancaster's fourth return to the CFL as a head coach after Greg Marshall was fired earlier in the week.

Lancaster was senior director of football operations, having previously moved upstairs after six seasons as coach. He has also coached Edmonton and Saskatchewan.

Hamilton receiver Terry Vaughn's 10 receptions on the night made him the CFL's all-time receptions leader with 973 in his 12-year career, one more than former Tiger-Cat Darren Flutie. His three-yard reception from quarterback Jason Maas in the fourth quarter to set the record.

Vaughn also holds the record for the most 1,000-yard receiving seasons with 11. Entering tonight's game, he is ranked third in career receiving yards with 13,267, trailing Flutie (14,359) and record holder Allen Pitts (14,891).

Vaughn joined the Tiger-Cats in this his 12th season after playing with Montreal, Edmonton and Calgary.

Hamilton quarterback Jason Maas also scored a one-yard touchdown run.

Ken-Yon Rambo scored Calgary's lone touchdown.

DeAngelis went three-for-four, hitting from 40, 42, and 37, while missing from 39 yards out in the second quarter, only his second miss of the season.

Myers, who replaced the inconsistent Jamie Boreham, also hit a

nine-yarder in the third that gave the Ticats a 10-4 lead heading into the final quarter.

But Calgary responded on its next play from scrimmage with a 29-yard touchdown pass from Burris to Rambo to take its first lead of the game at 11-10, before Holmes' score.

The Tiger-Cats went into the locker room at half time with a 7-4 lead and a thunderous roar from the crowd of 26,944 after a goal-line stand that began with Calgary at first-and-goal from the two.

Calgary quarterback Henry Burris' third-down scramble to the line was stopped short by the Tiger-Cats defence on the last play of the half to preserve the lead.

Hamilton scored first when Tay Cody's 22-yard interception return gave the Tiger-Cats the ball on Calgary's 39 yard-line at 4:47 of the first quarter.

That sent the Tiger-Cats off on an 11-play drive that took 7:01 off the clock. It survived a botched play deep in scoring territory when an awkwardly pitched ball from Maas to Ranek got bandied about in a crowd and fell to the ground at the two-yard line.

Calgary was called for roughing the passer and two plays later Maas kept it for the one-yard score.

The Stamps answered early in the second quarter with a 40-yard field goal from DeAngelis. Hamilton, though, marched up the field again, and looked like it was turning over a new leaf with first-and-goal at the eight-yard line.

But a time-count violation put them back to the 13-yard line. Two plays later, they went for the major at third-and-goal from the one. Ranek fumbled the pitch from Maas and Calgary's George White recovered it at the eight as the Tiger-Cats came away empty and the crowd grumbled its disapproval.

By the end of the half, a thunderous roar sent the Ticats into the change room after a goal line stance and the Ticats held on to a 7-4 lead.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
- Ticats firing Marshall, and Lancaster's return?[/b]
I don't think it was his fault that Hamilton sucked. The players were dropping balls, not tackling well enough. A shame that he was the victim IMO.

I know he's blamed for allowing the Gliebermans to buy the 'Gades, and he should be. But the way I see it: Unless they have a replacement behind him, this league is going to have a hard time bringing the league into the spotlight in the same way that Wright did. In the last 3 years, not only has the exciting game gotten even more exciting, but there's more media coverage (more games shown in the US too, on stations like Altitude, Comcast, and more) more sponsors (do you see the advertisements they have these days?) new owners for the Ti-Cats and Argos. He's just done so much in so little time, and unless they can find anyone who did half the job he did to promote the game and do it well, than i'll be disappointed to see him go.

I have no idea what reason they had for it (if any). I guess they think that the names sounds more catchy? I don't care either way though

Oh yeah, and AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS!!!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I have no idea what reason they had for it (if any). I guess they think that the names sounds more catchy? I don't care either way though

Oh yeah, and AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS!!!
They had 6 million reasons and a new field surface to change the name over. At least they took the time and respect to contact the Taylor family and discuss it with them prior to changing the name to Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Woo hoo! Finally! The Argos won again! Now its's time to kick som Lion butt!:)

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Woo hoo! Finally! The Argos won again! Now its's time to kick som Lion butt!:)
POOR RICKY, BROKE HIS ARM!!!! BOOHOO!!!! I'm gonna cry..............NOT!!!!!!

To bad he didn't break his head!!!!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Well, in all honesty he wasn't used well at all in the first place, so him being injured won't hurt the team too much. JJ will likely be going in his spot.

A waste of money that RW was. Not saying that he isn't good, but he doesn't get the ball much, and it would have been better to save that money and use Jeff Johnson at their starting RB. he gets good yardage for the few carries he gets.

Toronto isn't the place for a star Running Back.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
We finally won again! We had to rip the offence apart to shreds (including firing Kent Austin), but it looks like we're back on track again.

AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS!!! :)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts