Scorpions continue to collect points
FRI Dec. 22 Lubbock @ SCORPIONS 7:35 p.m. Santa Ana Star Center
*TEDDY BEAR TOSS*
The Scorpions will host the first place Lubbock Cotton Kings on Friday night. This is the second time the team will meet this season. The Scorpions held off Lubbock 3-1 on November 9 in New Mexico.
New Mexico will start a new hockey tradition with the 1st Annual Teddy Bear Toss. Bring a bear to the Scorpions game and throw it on the ice after the Scorpions score their first goal. All the bears will be collected and given to local children in need this holiday season. The Rio Rancho Police Department will be accepting the bars and taking them to the community.
Season Series: Scorpions lead 1-0-0 All Time Series: Scorpions lead 30-20-8
SAT Dec. 23 SCORPIONS @ Arizona 7:05 p.m. Tim's Toyota Center
The Scorpions will make their third trip to their new Southwest Division rival. The Sundogs and Scorpions will continue their month long battle in the fifth of eight December matchups.
The teams split this past weekend at the Santa Ana Star Center . The Scorpions picked up three points by winning Friday and dropping the overtime thriller Saturday. Both teams have shown a dislike for each other on the ice, giving fans exciting games.
Season Series: Scorpions lead 3-1-1 All Time Series: Scorpions lead 3-1-1
LAST WEEK: FRI Dec. 15 Arizona @ SCORPIONS (6-5 WIN) 7:35 p.m. Santa Ana Star Center
The teams put on an exciting show for the fans as the new CHL rivalry continues to be tight. The Scorpions took the lead into the locker room after 20-miuntes, but the Sundogs tied the game up in the second period setting up an exciting final frame.
The power play proved to be the difference for the Scorpions as Aaron MacInnis and Vladimir Hartinger lit the lamp giving the Scorpions enough goals to hang on for the victory.
Robertson started his night scoring on the power play 1:04 into the contest. Konrad Reeder pushed the Scorpions two goals ahead six minutes later with his sixth goal of the season.
Arizona 's Brent Kelly put his team on the board with the first of his four points on the night. Robertson would add his second goal before the end of the first period as would Kelly.
Early in the second period, Ryan Steeves tied the game up and silenced what was a raucous Santa Ana Star Center most of the night. Robertson finished his hat trick with another power play goal 17:37 into the second period. The Sundogs once again fought back when Dan DaSilva scored his fifth goal of the season with 11-seconds to go in the middle period.
The five power play goals for the Scorpions is a new season high. Previously, the Scorpions highest man advantage output was three goals, which they have done four times.
SAT Dec. 16 Arizona @ SCORPIONS (4-3 OT loss) 7:05 pm Santa Ana Star Center
New Mexico Scorpions came out firing but eventually lost to Arizona 4-3 in overtime Saturday night. New Mexico has picked up a point in their last eight games.
The Scorpions came out firing with three first period goals. Craig MacDonald scored a pair of goals just 28-seconds apart. Mike Prpich added a late first period goal giving the Scorpions a 3-0 lead after 20-minutes.
Unlike Friday night, the Arizona comeback was completed. Just past the halfway point of the second period, Karl Sellan netted his fifth goal of the season. The second period finished quietly as neither team was able to mount any more scoring.
Arizona used a two-goal third period to force overtime. David Svagrovsky scored his second goal of the year 8:21 into the third period to draw the Sundogs to within one.
Brent Kelly proved to be the hero as he finished off a big weekend. Late in the third period Kelly scored on the power play; it was just the start if his heroics.
Kelly then scored the game winner 2:50 into overtime when Cory Stillman fed a perfect cross ice pass to his line mate to give the Sundogs the win and two points in the standings.
- DECEMBER INTERNET HOLIDAY TICKET SPECIAL-Go "ALL IN" and get your Corner Seat for only $16 when ordering online during the month of December. That is a savings of $6. CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!
- Fri. Dec. 22-"TEDDY BEAR TOSS"-The Scorpions are introducing a new tradition to the hockey fans of New Mexico . The 1st Annual Teddy Bear Toss is fun for all. After the Scorpions score their first goal against Lubbock , fans will be invited to throw teddy bears on the ice. All the bears will be collected and donated to various local charities that focus on the helping youth in the State of New Mexico.
- Wed. Dec. 27-"GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE NIGHT"-The Scorpions wants you to get out of the house Wednesday. Grab the family, neighbors, heck people you don't even know and get to the Scorpions game for a night of fun and exciting hockey. Ticket packages will include a ticket, hot dog and soda for only $19.
- Fri. Dec. 29-"STANLEY CUP AT THE GAME"-Come out and see the most revered trophy in North America. The Stanley Cup will be at the Scorpions game. Get your tickets to the game for this once in a lifetime event.
- Fri. Jan. 5-"BEAUTY AND ELVIS NIGHT"-The Scorpions will celebrate Elvis' Birthday at the Santa Ana Star Center . Elvis will be in the building and performing live for your enjoyment. Joining Elvis will be the most beautiful women in New Mexico . Miss News , Mrs. New , Miss Rio Rancho and Miss Albuquerque will be in attendance greeting the fans.
- Sat. Jan. 6-"SALUTE TO THE MILITARY NIGHT, presented by the U.S. ARMY"-Come out and help the Scorpions salute our military. The annual event will feature videos, photos and special tributes to the soldiers who are currently serving our great country, those who have fallen in battle and those who are now retired from active duty. The Scorpions will wear special "Stars and Stripes" jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game. The post-game auction will benefit families of soldiers who are currently stationed overseas thorugh the New Mexico Scorpions Charitable Foundation.
- WEEKEND BROADCAST SCHEDULE-This weekend's games can be heard on 610 The Sports Animal. For Scorpions fans outside the listening area, you can hear all Scorpions games online by visiting scorpionshockey.com: Broadcast Schedule
. Don't forget that CHLTV is the perfect place to watch Scorpions games online. Visit LiveSportsNetwork
for more details.
SCORPIONS IN THE COMMUNITY:
Sat. Jan. 6-Post Game Party with the Scorpions- Turtle Mountain Brewery (905 36th Place Rio Rancho, NM 87124 ).
Sat. Jan. 20-"MDA Walkathon"-"Cottonwood Mall 7am - 10am. Stanley will be on hand for kids of all ages.
The Scorpions have won six of their last 10 games, and have collected at least a point in their last eight games.
New Mexico has scored 29 third period goals, second most in the CHL.
RYAN VANDENBUSSCHE has signed as the Scorpions Player/Assistant Coach and will wear #14.
JAMIE HERRINGTON has been signed and will wear #15.
JAKE BRENK has been waived.
KONRAD REEDER has been moved to the 45-day injured reserve.
ROB GUINN has at least one assist in five straight games.
MIKE FALK has registered seven assists in his last five games.
LANCE HERAUF leads all CHL rookies with 19 assists.
MIKE PRPICH is third among rookies with 10 goals.