Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, aside from resigning Turris and Boedker ASAP I wanted to take some time to look into our biggest hole on the team, Center. Assuming Turris is resigned, which I don't doubt he will be, our main set of centers will consist of Gordon, Turris, and Hanzal. Korpikoski can play center but is better used as a wing. The Coyotes added young centers Chipchura and Bolduc but we don't know how well they will do or if they will even make the team. We still need a number one guy, someone who can help us now and may be able to help Turris become the future center this team is looking for.

While looking at the FA market I decided it might not be a bad idea for the Coyotes to sign Chris Drury to a 1 year, ~$3.5 million contract. He could be used as our number 1/2 center and on such a small contract if he doesn't do anything for us it wont really be too big of a problem because he would be gone the next season. Drury was disappointing with the rangers averaging 37.75 points a season for 4 seasons. In those 4 seasons he averaged 66 games. From the 98/99 season to the 06/07 season Drury had 464 points (average of 58 points over 8 seasons) and 551 (average of 68.875 games over 8 seasons) putting him close to a point per game pace. Since 2002 Drury has seen 2 world cups and 3 Olympics, his latest Olympic being in 09/10 when the US took the silver medal. Drury has also seen the playoffs 9 times over his carrier averaging 9.89 points (average of 15 games played in each playoff) including his time with the rangers. While all of this might seem like me throwing out a bunch of stats and averages but the point of it was to show that he didn't play well in the rangers system and that he has lots of highly competitive scenarios under his belt. While hes no Stamkos, Crosby or Staal he could certainly be a useful center to our organization. Further more, if he did come out and provide to be a solid pickup then we could always resign him for another 2-3 years. Drury is only 33 and still has a couple of years left in him that he could produce most likely. Anyway that is my thoughts on who I would go for on the FA market.

As far as trades go we would really need to be careful. We couldn't go all out for one big name, but rather have to settle for someone that can handle a top line roll without costing us our NHL roster/prospects/salary. Derek Roy (Buf) could be an option with 1 year left on his contract at $4 million this season but what we would have to give up for him could be too much to ask for however according to capgeek.com Buffalo is 2.92 million over the salary cap so potentially a trade could happen. Possibly giving them 2 quality prospects and 2 picks in 2012 could pull it off.

To PHX:
Derek Roy

To BUF:
Victor Tikonov
Michael Stone
2012 2nd
2012 3rd

Pittsburgh is another option. They have a very large batch of solid centers in Crosby, Malkin, J.Staal, Letestu, Kennedy, Tangradi, Jeffery, and Craig. Its assumed that Crosby and Malkin are fairly untouchable, Staal is most likely on that cusp but also the best bet to aim for a #1 center. Letestu is 27 and a UFA in 2 years, hes also just starting to blossom into a NHLer. Letestu went undrafted but offering a 4th round pick for him would be acceptable considering he probably couldn't handle a #1 job. However as a #2/3 guy I think he could fit in great and that would leave Hanzal and Turris to fit the #1 spot. Then there is Staal, $4 million dollars a season for 2 more seasons. Hes a 1st round (2nd overall) draft pick and a UFA once his contract is done. Staal is Big, can put up points, play defensively, and deserves a #1 role. He is everything the Coyotes are looking for right now in a #1 center and his salery/cap hit is probably right in that ballpark of where we would need to be. Phoenix is still $500,000 shy of making the minimum salary cap so we need to increase payroll a bit and I'm sure the NHL has allowed us a few million over the minimum cap. Here is the trade I would go for:

To PHX:
J.Staal

To PIT:
2012 1st
2012 5th
Victor Tikonov (RFA still unsigned)
Brett Maclean (1 year 2 way contract)

While giving up a 1st, Tikonov and Maclean seems like a steep price to pay, we gain a true #1 center. Our other option is always to continue drafting as much as possible and wait for the likes of Werek, Miele, and Long to develop into NHLers and for Turris to turn into the #1 center hes projected to be.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the Coyotes need some defensemen too since their goaltending is now downgraded. They looked like hell in front of Bryzgalov last year and they wont look any better in front of Smith. So they need a big stud defenseman NOW. I would even go as far as saying they should sign McCabe

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as trades go we would really need to be careful. We couldn't go all out for one big name, but rather have to settle for someone that can handle a top line roll without costing us our NHL roster/prospects/salary. Derek Roy (Buf) could be an option with 1 year left on his contract at $4 million this season but what we would have to give up for him could be too much to ask for however according to capgeek.com Buffalo is 2.92 million over the salary cap so potentially a trade could happen. Possibly giving them 2 quality prospects and 2 picks in 2012 could pull it off.

To PHX:
Derek Roy

To BUF:
Victor Tikonov
Michael Stone
2012 2nd
2012 3rd

Pittsburgh is another option. They have a very large batch of solid centers in Crosby, Malkin, J.Staal, Letestu, Kennedy, Tangradi, Jeffery, and Craig. Its assumed that Crosby and Malkin are fairly untouchable, Staal is most likely on that cusp but also the best bet to aim for a #1 center. Letestu is 27 and a UFA in 2 years, hes also just starting to blossom into a NHLer. Letestu went undrafted but offering a 4th round pick for him would be acceptable considering he probably couldn't handle a #1 job. However as a #2/3 guy I think he could fit in great and that would leave Hanzal and Turris to fit the #1 spot. Then there is Staal, $4 million dollars a season for 2 more seasons. Hes a 1st round (2nd overall) draft pick and a UFA once his contract is done. Staal is Big, can put up points, play defensively, and deserves a #1 role. He is everything the Coyotes are looking for right now in a #1 center and his salery/cap hit is probably right in that ballpark of where we would need to be. Phoenix is still $500,000 shy of making the minimum salary cap so we need to increase payroll a bit and I'm sure the NHL has allowed us a few million over the minimum cap. Here is the trade I would go for:

To PHX:
J.Staal

To PIT:
2012 1st
2012 5th
Victor Tikonov (RFA still unsigned)
Brett Maclean (1 year 2 way contract)

While giving up a 1st, Tikonov and Maclean seems like a steep price to pay, we gain a true #1 center. Our other option is always to continue drafting as much as possible and wait for the likes of Werek, Miele, and Long to develop into NHLers and for Turris to turn into the #1 center hes projected to be.
I don.t think the GMDM will want to trade away future prospects. If he does I think it would have to be for a number one center that was committed to stay with the Coyotes past their current contract. The Coyotes do lack at center but I think they can acquire a good enough center and keep their draft picks.

@2fast4u

The big stud on the blue line for the Coyotes is Keith Yandle. He was one of the top scoring defense men in the NHL last season. As for the future, you might not have seen the young core of defense men the coyotes have that are NHL ready. Like Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Brandon Gormley,Chris Summers, and David Schlemko. The Coyotes also have plenty of veterans at the blue line. The Coyotes need a star player on offense.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well IMO they need some of those young d men up here now. If they don't start winning games or at least looking good doing it, the team will be moved cause no one will wanna go to the games and watch them period.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think the Coyotes need some defensemen too since their goaltending is now downgraded. They looked like hell in front of Bryzgalov last year and they wont look any better in front of Smith. So they need a big stud defenseman NOW. I would even go as far as saying they should sign McCabe
Their blue line is actually pretty good, Yandle, Morris, Aucoin, Rozival, Schlemko, Klesla. I don't care much for Rozival but he isn't a bad defenseman. We also have youngsters Ekman-larsson, Gormley, Ahnelov, and Summers who are all good. I wont go so far to say that any of the 4 defenseman I named will be ready for a full time gig this year but in 2-3 they will certainly be strong candidates for top 4 on 25 of the 30 nhl teams. Your right though in the fact that we no longer have Bryz and Smith is certainly not as good but our defense is actually quite good, we just lacked some of the consistency to prove it. Honestly I think with Jovo out of the picture we will do a lot better, I remember watching him turn over a lot of pucks. Also keep in mind that the Coyotes have been a top 10 team the last 2 years, we arn't bad but our PP sucks and our offense is sub par. If we can correct offensive inefficiencies, even with Smith instead of Bryz, we can continue to be a top 10 team, possibly even a top 5. The coyotes will make the playoffs again this year, but most likely seeding 6-8. What we have gone over is the big reason why I think Staal would be the perfect fit for the coyotes, he is defensively responsible and can put up at the very least 50 points a season, potentially way more being that he would be the undisputed #1 center in our organization. Plus he likely would want to resign when his contract is up, he would have a #1 job pretty much no questions asked and especially with his little brother being one of our prospects. On top of that Arizona is a good place for athletes, most of them like it here and there is a lot to do around the whole city. To take things even further we have one of the best coaches in the league and our GM is fantastic. I mean look at what Don has done with this team considering all of its problems over the last 2 years. We have had bankruptcy, we're now owned by the NHL and the owner we almost had was sabotaged by the goldwater group, our budget is one of the lowest in the league yet we have managed to make the playoffs both years, and have begun to build a real prospect pool which is something the Coyotes have sucked at for as long as I can remember. The locker room is under control and we brought in a top notch head coach through all of this as well, as far as I'm concerned outside of the current ownership situation our club is one of the best to be apart of. While it sucks not having an owner and our future in phoenix is uncertain, the last 2 years the Coyotes have looked the best I have ever seen them, and thats including the years that they had Tkuchuck/Roenick and company. People talk a lot of crap about the Coyotes being bad but honestly the only 2 things bad about the Coyotes is the ownership situation and a flimsy fan base (a fan base thats growing I might add).

Edit: And a quick extra on the fan base issue, while it is flimsy, both seasons we have sold out the arena leading up to the playoffs and in the playoffs so when the coyotes show they can and will win then people want to be apart of it. As an Arizona native I have first hand experience on the people who live here and how they react to our sports teams. Most of the people here are not born and raised so their sports attachments are to their old home team but if we can continue to win each season and let the younger generations become apart of that winning tradition then eventually we will have a fan base thats of a respectable size. Thats not including the people who may not be Coyotes first fans, but they will join in because they want to be apart of a winning organization.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don.t think the GMDM will want to trade away future prospects. If he does I think it would have to be for a number one center that was committed to stay with the Coyotes past their current contract. The Coyotes do lack at center but I think they can acquire a good enough center and keep their draft picks.
Staal is exactly that center IMO. The only thing he lacks is a longer contract and there is no way of knowing if anyone we trade for would want to stay after their contract ends. You have to build for the future but also aim for the cup each year and sometimes that means moving away a few pieces of good looking prospects especially sense its not like we have a large crop of players yet or the budget to support a large crop of players.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It might be a little bit hard to get any "big" free agents to sign with the Coyotes only because of their ownership and relocation factors. I think that is a big part of the reason Bryzgalov left. Being a Flyers fan i have been waiting Brygalov for a few years now and i am super stoked now that we have him. He was a great goalie for your team. But i don't see your defense any better then what it was last year unless a cpl of those younger guys come up now. I think they will bring a cpl of them up just to see what they got and if they can handle the NHL. With Smith in net and the defense no better then last year i can't see them making the playoffs. And don't get me wrong, i like the Coyotes but they are in deep with some really strong teams in the west. L.A has powered right up there now with some of their moves they have done. St. Louis, i am not too sure of, they mades alot of moves but not sure if they were the right ones considering they went with alot of older guys. But we will see what happens. Can't wait for the damn season to start, come on October.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It might be a little bit hard to get any "big" free agents to sign with the Coyotes only because of their ownership and relocation factors. I think that is a big part of the reason Bryzgalov left. Being a Flyers fan i have been waiting Brygalov for a few years now and i am super stoked now that we have him. He was a great goalie for your team. But i don't see your defense any better then what it was last year unless a cpl of those younger guys come up now. I think they will bring a cpl of them up just to see what they got and if they can handle the NHL. With Smith in net and the defense no better then last year i can't see them making the playoffs. And don't get me wrong, i like the Coyotes but they are in deep with some really strong teams in the west. L.A has powered right up there now with some of their moves they have done. St. Louis, i am not too sure of, they mades alot of moves but not sure if they were the right ones considering they went with alot of older guys. But we will see what happens. Can't wait for the damn season to start, come on October.
I think the Coyotes have great defense and Mike Smith might actually perform well under a Dave Tippets style of play. Its not like his record was 13-6-1 last year. So he is not a terrible goalie. I think this year will be harder for the coyotes but they can compete even with no big names on the team. They have been doubted for 2 years and proved everyone wrong.

I am happy that Bryz was able to get the raise he deserved. The Flyers probably paid to much for him because they had to almost gut their team to be able to afford him. But philly has lacked a great goalie for a long time. I guess this year we can see if its the goalie or if its like a Flyers curse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly I think with Jovo out of the picture we will do a lot better, I remember watching him turn over a lot of pucks.
I think Staal would be the perfect fit for the coyotes, he is defensively responsible and can put up at the very least 50 points a season, potentially way more being that he would be the undisputed #1 center in our organization. Plus he likely would want to resign when his contract is up, he would have a #1 job pretty much no questions asked and especially with his little brother being one of our prospects.
I am happy to see Jovo Cop leave. A waste of money on a shell of a player that used to be great.

The coyotes traded the youngest Staal

On May 13, 2010, the Carolina Hurricanes acquired his rights from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick. On May 14, 2010 the Hurricanes signed him to a 3 year entry level contract.[5][6] To start the 2010–11 season, Jared was assigned to the Hurricanes AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL. Struggling to gain ice time after 12 games, on November 19, 2010, Jared was re-assigned to ECHL affiliate, the Florida Everblades,[7] but was later recalled.[8]

that is from Wikipedia

·
Registered
146 Posts
That could have been a bad move getting rid of Staal. I herad that he is supposed to be the best one out of the brothers eventually.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
That could have been a bad move getting rid of Staal. I herad that he is supposed to be the best one out of the brothers eventually.
All stems from a misquote of their father. He was talking about Jordan, not Jared. Don't think it's out of the question that he gets some NHL action in the bottom six if he figures out his physical game more, but I also don't think he'll be a star in the league like his brothers.

Regardless, he wasn't going to sign with the Coyotes, so it was either trade him for something or let him re-enter the draft and lose him for nothing. Their hands were tied. We saw the Coyotes benefit from a similar situation this year when they traded for Ethan Werek, who wasn't going to sign with the Rangers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We saw the Coyotes benefit from a similar situation this year when they traded for Ethan Werek, who wasn't going to sign with the Rangers.
I thought that trade was just swapping players of equal talent because Werek didnt like the Rangers. Until I read this.

Lindberg, 19, skated in 41 games with Skelleftea in the Swedish Elite League this season, registering five goals and nine assists for 14 points, along with 31 penalty minutes. He also appeared in 18 playoff contests with Skelleftea, tallying three goals and four assists for seven points, ranking sixth on the team in scoring and tying for fifth in goals.

Lindberg was drafted by Phoenix as their second round choice, 52nd overall, in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Werek, 19, skated in 47 games with the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), registering 24 goals and 28 assists for 52 points along with 51 penalty minutes. He was originally drafted by the Rangers as their second choice, 47th overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-articles/may/rangers-trade-werek-to-coyotes.html

It looks like the Coyotes got the better end of the deal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I didn't know the circumstances for the trade other than Maloney stating that they were looking for a larger center and with Lindberg only being something like 5'10, 180 and Werek being around 6'3, 200 he certainly made that position bigger.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Yea I didn't know the circumstances for the trade other than Maloney stating that they were looking for a larger center and with Lindberg only being something like 5'10, 180 and Werek being around 6'3, 200 he certainly made that position bigger.
You're definitely under-billing Lindberg by at least a couple inches. He's not as big as Werek, but he's not that small.

As far as the circumstances surrounding the trade, there was a lot going on - but it was mostly due to the relationship between the two parties dissolving. The Rangers didn't think Werek was that impressive as a center at the previous rookie camp and claim he wasn't following the training plan they outlined for him or letting them know the development surrounding his injuries. On the other hand, Werek loves playing center, but was moved to left wing this year at the Rangers' request and never quite found his stride - and reportedly didn't like it.

Compounding the Rangers' dissatisfaction with Werek, his development curve slowed this year, but, in my opinion, some of it has to do with the coaching in Kingston. I'm not a fan of Doug Gilmour as a coach at all. A lot of the time when I saw the Frontenacs play, it looked like there was a clash between coaching style and how the players actually played - as long as they're on the same page, I think that Tippett (and Edwards) should be good coaches to work with Werek on developing his game further. Of course, coaching isn't the only thing to blame for Werek's slowed development - some of it has to do with Werek's injuries and some of it has to do with Werek own mental game, namely being disinterested and disengaged at times on the ice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yea I did under size him, I thought I remembered reading him around those stats when I saw the article but the rangers have him listed at 6'1 190. As for Werek, the Coyotes have him listed as 6'1 189 which would make this trade almost moot in terms of a change is size. I wish I could remember where I saw the article so I could post it in case it was actually the articles fault in listing false stats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All stems from a misquote of their father. He was talking about Jordan, not Jared. Don't think it's out of the question that he gets some NHL action in the bottom six if he figures out his physical game more, but I also don't think he'll be a star in the league like his brothers.

Regardless, he wasn't going to sign with the Coyotes, so it was either trade him for something or let him re-enter the draft and lose him for nothing. Their hands were tied. We saw the Coyotes benefit from a similar situation this year when they traded for Ethan Werek, who wasn't going to sign with the Rangers.
Wow I had no idea. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I came up with another thought after hearing some rumors about NYI and Phoenix talking about a trade. I haven't heard any details on it but if I were Don I might look to do this.

To Phoenix: -$1.025 Million to cap hit
Frans Nielsen ($0.525 Million/1 season)
Michael Grabner ($3.0 Million/5 seasons)
Conditional 2012 4th (if Boedker signs in NY then we get it back)

To NY Islanders: +1.025 Million to cap hit (before Boedker signs)
Shane Doan ($4.55 Million/1 season)(would have to waive his no movement clause)
Michael Boedker (RFA)

Reason for Phoenix:
Phoenix would get 2 young (Grabner 23, Nielsen 27) NHL proven players. Grabner just put up a 34 goal campaign with the Islanders and could help the Phoenix offense which is lacking. Nielsen is a bit older but is a quality 2nd line center who could push Kyle Turris for the 1st line job. Nielsen, like Doan is also coming up as a UFA in 2012.

Reason for NY Islanders:
While the Islanders would lose 2 of their proven NHL youth they would gain a leader in Doan that is rare in the NHL. His skill and knowledge is could be exactly what their team needs to further the development of their youth, and Doaner can still put up 60+ points a season. Boedker is a large, fast prospect that has not yet made an impact on the NHL but is showing great promise. His development could do great things for NY.

Added Info:

Now one of the things many of you may be thinking about is that neither team is in cap trouble, in fact both still need to spend to make the minimum but this leaves an opening for another trade/signing which actually helps the Coyotes a lot since they are going to be budgeted at the floor basically. Our next move would be to sign one of these FA's imo, Nikolay Zherdev and John Madden. We give Zherdev a 1 year $1 million contract and Madden a 1 year $1 million contract. With this we have added more depth at center, and an additional scorer who could potentially crack the top 6.

Phoenix Line-up:

Whitney - Turris - Grabner
Korpikoski - Nielsen - Stempniak
Torres - Hanzal - Vrbata
Zherdev - Gordon - Pyatt

Extra Forwards: Madden, Maclean, Bissonnette, Chipchura, Bulduc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts