Mar 30, 2008, 7:00 PM PT
TV Information
National TV:
NHLN-US
Local Home:
SNET-P (HD)
Local Away:
SNET-W​

The Calgary Flames are trying to make a run at the Northwest Division title. The Vancouver Canucks are just hoping to reach the playoffs.

The division rivals could have a hand in determining each others postseason fate when they get together for the first of two meetings in seven days Sunday in Vancouver.

Calgary (40-28-10) missed a chance to move closer to division leader Minnesota after falling 2-1 at home to Edmonton on Saturday night.

That loss left the Flames three points back of the Wild and tied with fellow Northwest rival Colorado for the sixth playoff spot in the Western Conference with four games remaining. All those contests will be on the road against division foes, including a regular-season finale with Vancouver on Saturday.

"Every game's like a playoff game," Calgary's Daymond Langkow said. "We just have to forget about it and focus on (Sunday) night's game."

The Canucks (38-30-10), meanwhile, are tied with Nashville and the Oilers for the eighth and final playoff spot in the West. The Predators, though, hold the tiebreaker over the Canucks, who lost 4-0 at Minnesota on Friday for their fourth consecutive defeat and sixth in nine games.

"There's a lot of character (on this team)," Vancouver's Ryan Kesler said. "Right now we're going through a little adversity, but that's when we're at our best."

The Canucks don't have much time to back up that statement with just four games remaining themselves. Though all will be played in Vancouver, the Canucks face Colorado and Edmonton without alternate captain Brendan Morrison, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in a 6-3 loss to the Avalanche on Wednesday.

Vancouver is 4-2-0 versus Calgary this season, but the Flames have won the last two meetings, including a 3-2 home win over the Canucks on Tuesday.

Friday's loss marked the second time in eight games the Canucks were shut out, while opponents have outscored them 15-6 in their last four contests.

Roberto Luongo was pulled for the second straight game after allowing four goals on the first 17 shots he faced against the Wild. Though he was recently back in Florida with his wife for the birth of their first child, Luongo has given up nine goals in his last two starts.

Despite his recent struggles, Luongo is 4-2-0 with a 2.32 goals-against average against the Flames this season and might not totally be to blame for the Canucks' poor play.

"The guys in front of him have to play better in every area," Vancouver's Markus Naslund said. "He's been there for us all year, and if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be where we are. It's up to us to play hard for him."

Naslund, who had an assist at Colorado on Wednesday, has three goals and four assists versus Calgary in 2007-08.

On Saturday, Matthew Lombardi broke a scoreless tie early in the third period, but the Flames allowed two unanswered goals for their second loss in three games.

Miikka Kiprusoff made 19 saves against Edmonton and is expected to be in goal Sunday looking for a third straight win over Vancouver. Kiprusoff has stopped 56 of the 59 shots he's faced in his last two starts versus the Canucks.
Well I'd say this is it. Win tonight, the wolf at the door will be happier for another day or so.....lose tonight and Naslund might as well pack his stuff up and head out. :n All season I have alluded to the potential for some inner problems within this team and I think of late we're seeing more proof of that. There is just no other reason to explain why a group is playing so below their previously displayed potential. Other than the flu.....but I am tired of tossing that excuse into the ring.:n

And is it just me but every time someone surfaces in the media regarding the Moore Bertuzzi crud Naslund and others on this team disappear? Seems to be the case IMO.

Anyway, I say they win tonight. I have to I suppose. Even when I am not sure I believe myself I seem to have to walk with them through this valley of darkness. They're going to find a way....

RB
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Flames 4, Pussies 1.

BTW, the Wild just officially eliminated the Pussies from contention for the Division title.
Good all around effort. They took advantage when they had to. It was nice to see a more consistent effort and also very nice to see ole Lindy chipping in at clutch moments when his team needed him most. To the shigrin of most I am sure.

All that matters now is tomorrow. And the best news is there's still a tomorrow. Okay - enough of all this tomorrow talk Annie. :laugh:

RB
I can't figure this team out.:dunno:

I'm still thinking tho that it's to little to late.

Man Gordy you must be doing front flips back flips and anything else that it's legal to do in the streets after your Buddy Trevors two goal performance.!!
:cheeky4::laugh::beer

Man Gordy you must be doing front flips back flips and anything else that it's legal to do in the streets after your Buddy Trevors two goal performance.!!
Oh yeah, for sure. That Trevor...you can certainly count on him once nothing is on the line anymore...

:laugh::laugh: good one :beer:beer

Oh yeah, for sure. That Trevor...you can certainly count on him once nothing is on the line anymore...
Oh common gordo, you know that's not true. There was a lot on the line last night. This is exactly the reason he was sat out games this year. It was the entire point, to have him able to fully contribute in situations like this. He showed up, he led the way.

Oh and as far as how "easy" the preds have it, I am not buying that completely. The Blues are not going to roll over for them and we all know what a team looks like when they're playing a team with nothing to win or lose. It's dangerous. I sure as hell would rather be playing these last three outings Vs teams in a similar boat as us as opposed to playing say...the Kings.:y

Peaks and valleys boys. And there arn't too many teams this year that differ that drastically from us. Look at Philly, they were picked by some to take the East...they're fighting too. Ottawa! They could feasibly miss the post season!

just sayin', that's all.

RB
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.