Hockey Fan Forums banner

461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Look, the Canucks need scoring

Carter had a pitiful season, and would only be welcome on a tryout basis. IF he had the same chemistry, sign him for one season..on a lower end contract

However, would he want to play in a defensive system? Look at how well he fared under Hitchcock...

Anyway, I really think Nonis should make a push for Ryder. He's going to arbitration, and could be available. This guy would be the perfect fit for the twins, and make that line a dominant one

If Ryder isn't attainable, try for Hunter from the Isles. This guy can hit, score, and has upside. Again, a nice fit for the twins
Carter struggled before he played with the twins, too. I don't see why he couldn't score 30 playing with them again.

But hey, I'd take Ryder first for sure.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Look, the Canucks need scoring

Carter had a pitiful season, and would only be welcome on a tryout basis. IF he had the same chemistry, sign him for one season..on a lower end contract

However, would he want to play in a defensive system? Look at how well he fared under Hitchcock...

Anyway, I really think Nonis should make a push for Ryder. He's going to arbitration, and could be available. This guy would be the perfect fit for the twins, and make that line a dominant one

If Ryder isn't attainable, try for Hunter from the Isles. This guy can hit, score, and has upside. Again, a nice fit for the twins
The problem with Ryder is he's RFA, and he's coming off back to back 60 point seasons. If Gomez and Drury get 7 mil per for being 60 point guys, Ryder is worth at least 5 mil per as a RFA. Likely too rich for them at this point.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
How about Mike Johnson? He's big, has a right handed shot and has put up decent numbers before. He's also described as a solid two way player with good speed, so he'd fit into the system...

Not sure what he'd be asking for, but if the dollars make sense, I think he'd be a really good fit here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that the canucks should save their money this year and let naslund and morrison go. Then they will have the money to sign a big name that can score like heatly. He will be in the free agent market next summer and if the canucks can get him he wouldnt be a bad fit

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I think that the canucks should save their money this year and let naslund and morrison go. Then they will have the money to sign a big name that can score like heatly. He will be in the free agent market next summer and if the canucks can get him he wouldnt be a bad fit
I can't see them getting Heatley.

First off, word is him and the Sens are working on an extension.

Secondly, if he hits the open market, he gets 10 mil per, period. He's the premier goal scorer in the league right now. Given that it will likely cost the Canucks 10 mil per to extend Luongo, it would be stupid of them to spend 20 mil on two players.

But I'll digress, and repeat my opinion on this way of thinking. You don't build your team by counting on talent being available next season, or a season after that. You don't know what will happen between now and then, and you should never, ever kiss off the opportunity in front of you. You worry about this season and leave next season for next season.

Now, all that said, their target as this season moves on into next summer should and likely will be Patrick Marleau.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Glad to see they got this done. Shannon will be an agitating little bugger, 550K is peanuts for him, considering Isbister got the same. Good signing:0pouce:

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Linden resigned...terms not diclosed as of yet...

MEH!
Well gord as much as i'm in different also on the Linden signing the fact remains he was a reliable hard competiter night in and night out in the playoffs last year and one could argue that he was also one of the Canucks best in the playoffs last year. Which is more than can be said of a certain highly over payed and overrated so called leader on the Canucks.;) IMHO Linden earned this contract.;)

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Well gord as much as i'm in different also on the Linden signing the fact remains he was a reliable hard competiter night in and night out in the playoffs last year and one could argue that he was also one of the Canucks best in the playoffs last year. Which is more than can be said of a certain highly over payed and overrated so called leader on the Canucks.;) IMHO Linden earned this contract.;)
Bingo bango bongo flyerfan knows. (wait, that doesn't rhyme...)

regardless, he led the team in scoring when it counted in the 2nd season. I like the deal, I like the signing. However, I read on TSN that it's a 600 grand deal with potential to hit 900 if an amount of games clause is met which I am not crazy about. a guy could limp into the end of that paycheck while hiding an injury and all the while hurting the team so.....just my pennies worth on that aspect.

RB

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow, how things have changed around here since last year. I contunuallly said last season at this time that we needed Linden back, and was reprimanded by everyone, they said he was too old, too slow etc etc, now he is good all of a sudden? Hope you guys dont hurt yourselves jumping off that bandwagon.
Anyone who knows me knows i have been a huge Linden supporter all my life. It is not just about points, especially at this point in his career, but he is a valuable member in the dressing room as a leader, mentor and friend to many of the younger players and his performance in the playoffs showed he is still a competitor. I wanted to see him get this contract for the simple reason that Trevor can now say this is his last season and go out on his terms, not because no one wanted him. In th real world 600k is a load of money, but for professional athletes it amounts to a tax write off, and this wont hurt the teams cap at all, there is still wiggle room, and we have added a leader.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Wow, how things have changed around here since last year. I contunuallly said last season at this time that we needed Linden back, and was reprimanded by everyone, they said he was too old, too slow etc etc, now he is good all of a sudden? Hope you guys dont hurt yourselves jumping off that bandwagon.
Anyone who knows me knows i have been a huge Linden supporter all my life. It is not just about points, especially at this point in his career, but he is a valuable member in the dressing room as a leader, mentor and friend to many of the younger players and his performance in the playoffs showed he is still a competitor. I wanted to see him get this contract for the simple reason that Trevor can now say this is his last season and go out on his terms, not because no one wanted him. In th real world 600k is a load of money, but for professional athletes it amounts to a tax write off, and this wont hurt the teams cap at all, there is still wiggle room, and we have added a leader.
So we ALL did this? ALL of us were against Linden and you were the ONLY supporter? Just want to be clear on that one. ;)

And at 37 I am still unclear how this will now be his last year. Did he mention this? OR is this just another media spin with no substance. Anyone who can take part in a bike race up the alps obviously is in fantastic shape and as long as he continues to add to the "solution" I cannot see why this is now his last year. Perhaps yes....but something tells me they have agreed to year by year re-evaluations.

RB

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
So we ALL did this? ALL of us were against Linden and you were the ONLY supporter? Just want to be clear on that one. ;)

And at 37 I am still unclear how this will now be his last year. Did he mention this? OR is this just another media spin with no substance. Anyone who can take part in a bike race up the alps obviously is in fantastic shape and as long as he continues to add to the "solution" I cannot see why this is now his last year. Perhaps yes....but something tells me they have agreed to year by year re-evaluations.

RB
Off course not everyone was in this category, but a vast majority. And he is in fantastic shape, but he cant play forever, nor can anyone and he has said that this is the only place he wants to play and eventually the Canucks will not have a need for him anymore, so add two and two together and i think this will be his last year as a player, but rest assured he would get a cushy job somewhere in the organization.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Off course not everyone was in this category, but a vast majority. And he is in fantastic shape, but he cant play forever, nor can anyone and he has said that this is the only place he wants to play and eventually the Canucks will not have a need for him anymore, so add two and two together and i think this will be his last year as a player, but rest assured he would get a cushy job somewhere in the organization.
He can come mow my lawn...

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
Oh I know bud - just ribbin ya a little....;)

461 - 480 of 480 Posts