Hockey Fan Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
look even if you can disprove everything I said, everything is truthful by the way, we do not have the resources at this time.

Money is allocated from year to year. It is planned on how the money will be used.

When and if we ever add a chat it will be network wide, not just here.
Just out of curiosity, can we be kept in the loop as far as when the decision of the year's allocated funds are being made? It might be nice for staff and members to have a guideline as to a timeline for us to put together a good plea/argument or whatever you want to call it. a Package of thoughts!

If we know when the deadline is, we can all get together and put together a presentation that we can present to VS together instead of arguing here.

Ill assume its soon that money is allocated since its a new year now so can we put together a presentation and expect it to be heard before this "fund allocation" goes out? I KNOW we are not waiting another year, so im just hoping to see a date so I can put a presentation together.

Also, can we not consider free java based MIRC chats? They have TONS of free java based chats which do not consume server resources in any real manner.
If cost was factored out, would it help our cause?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
If you were brought to court or even threatened to be brought to court, would you turn around and put yourself back into the same position again? Or would you give careful consideration before doing something similar in the future?
Has there been the threat of court concerning a previous chatroom. Seems to me there has or the words same position would not be used by you.

If chat scares this place for the possibility of a lawsuit wouldn't you think Yahoo, MSN and all those other chat services would be broke by now by people making claims?

How many times has Bill Gates been to court? Didn't he turn out well. :biggrin:

We can and will be premier site in time.
So the 2007 budget wasn't enough to make this site great? If so what concerns from the users will be utilized in 2008? Really from my reading on this forum the only good suggestion i continue to see is the want & need for a chat.

If i missed other user suggestions from hockey forum members what were they and did they get they'er wishes?

The only improvements imo that have been made and will continue to be made are those that put money in the owners pockets.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Has there been the threat of court concerning a previous chatroom. Seems to me there has or the words same position would not be used by you.

If chat scares this place for the possibility of a lawsuit wouldn't you think Yahoo, MSN and all those other chat services would be broke by now by people making claims?

How many times has Bill Gates been to court? Didn't he turn out well. :biggrin:

So the 2007 budget wasn't enough to make this site great? If so what concerns from the users will be utilized in 2008? Really from my reading on this forum the only good suggestion i continue to see is the want & need for a chat.

If i missed other user suggestions from hockey forum members what were they and did they get they'er wishes?

The only improvements imo that have been made and will continue to be made are those that put money in the owners pockets.
I know you are frustrated.

You talk about putting money in pockets, yet make no mention of costs associated with the forum. That weighs in too.

As for members getting their wishes. Look around the site. Many changes have been made. Stream lined the forums twice now. Moderators requests.

And as I have said three times now we have added many nice new features here, including the latest version of VB3. A lot of time and work went into doing that.

I have said all I can say on the subject. Continued going back and forth won't change the situation anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts

You talk about putting money in pockets, yet make no mention of costs associated with the forum. That weighs in too.

As for members getting their wishes. Look around the site. Many changes have been made. Stream lined the forums twice now. Moderators requests.

And as I have said three times now we have added many nice new features here, including the latest version of VB3. A lot of time and work went into doing that.

I have said all I can say on the subject. Continued going back and forth won't change the situation anytime soon.
I am gonna put my 2cents in now.

Who cares about the latest version?
I dont care if the forum was at the original VB.

But almost every single member wants a chat room and we get these complicated answers that a lot are BS. The "higher power" updates the forum, based on what THEY think, not what the forum members think. So whats the point of having members if the "higher power" makes the decisions w/o the members invovlment.

Why do you think I am no longer mod (besides lack of posting due to personal issues)??
I fought for this and I get the same responses and this one, my favorite "It takes the mods to build a forum and make it grow" Well I see a few mods want this chatroom as well but if they make it grow and help build it they should all be fired b/c this forum isnt being "built up" even though it has been according to this "higher power"

So I think the members want a real answer and not the budget answer or legal issues or that crap.
Just give us a real answer like,"No it cant happen because the forum isnt growing" or something like that.
(that cant be used now :p)
But this forum has and is growing slowly but steadily now.

What I want is a REAL answer that can make sense and make the members calm down for a little while

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would like to just add that i was a very active member of these forums before this merger took place, after which time the chat room we had was gone. It was a simple chat room, but had a lot of action in it. One of the reasons i have not been around lately is because of the lack of a chat room. I had made many friends previous to the merger and lost contact with a lot of people due to the fact i havent been able to chat with them, and my PM's dont seem to get through.
I think if this forum is to become great, we need a chat room, and not that one that is operating now, its a joke.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
I would like to just add that i was a very active member of these forums before this merger took place, after which time the chat room we had was gone. It was a simple chat room, but had a lot of action in it. One of the reasons i have not been around lately is because of the lack of a chat room. I had made many friends previous to the merger and lost contact with a lot of people due to the fact i havent been able to chat with them, and my PM's dont seem to get through.
I think if this forum is to become great, we need a chat room, and not that one that is operating now, its a joke.
What chat are you referring to? We don't have a chat here.

Pm's should get through. Especially since the upgrade. You need make sure they have you added as buddy first. And vise versa.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
I am gonna put my 2cents in now.

Who cares about the latest version?
I dont care if the forum was at the original VB.

But almost every single member wants a chat room and we get these complicated answers that a lot are BS. The "higher power" updates the forum, based on what THEY think, not what the forum members think. So whats the point of having members if the "higher power" makes the decisions w/o the members invovlment.

Why do you think I am no longer mod (besides lack of posting due to personal issues)??
I fought for this and I get the same responses and this one, my favorite "It takes the mods to build a forum and make it grow" Well I see a few mods want this chatroom as well but if they make it grow and help build it they should all be fired b/c this forum isnt being "built up" even though it has been according to this "higher power"

So I think the members want a real answer and not the budget answer or legal issues or that crap.
Just give us a real answer like,"No it cant happen because the forum isnt growing" or something like that.
(that cant be used now :p)
But this forum has and is growing slowly but steadily now.

What I want is a REAL answer that can make sense and make the members calm down for a little while
Sabre Fan I know your take on the issue. We have talked about this for a long time now with you and the staff when you were still a mod.

Calling the answers crap doesn't change the fact they are answers that weighs in on any decision to be made about putting a chat here. Being negative about the situation won't change it. I am sorry. If it could a chat would be here.

We have a lot of members here. Some of you want a chat. Even if it was almost everybody as you hinted to, that doesn't change the circumstances for now.

True sabres fan you have discussed this for a long time now.

I get the same responses
Well, that response every time has been consistent, and to the point. I have always said, "we cannot provide a chat at this time." That has always been said.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

Ok let me ask you this or any other admin. Do you personally want a chat and do you think the forum can grow larger and better with a chat?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Another thought.

This site was built for us, is used by us, and we are the community. Has it ever occured to the ownership to ask the community on ideas on what to spend the dollar on? Since it is us using it shouldn't it be we as a community who gets to decide on rewards and the benefits this site can provide for us?

I also don't understand what the idea of VBookie is. Sure it's fun to place bets, but what benefits does it bring? As of now without a VStore, all I see it brings to this site is the promotion of gambling, one of the questionable things in our society. There is as much risk of gambling then there is to a chat.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
Another thought.

This site was built for us, is used by us, and we are the community. Has it ever occured to the ownership to ask the community on ideas on what to spend the dollar on? Since it is us using it shouldn't it be we as a community who gets to decide on rewards and the benefits this site can provide for us?

I also don't understand what the idea of VBookie is. Sure it's fun to place bets, but what benefits does it bring? As of now without a VStore, all I see it brings to this site is the promotion of gambling, one of the questionable things in our society. There is as much risk of gambling then there is to a chat.

And this place is worried on legal issues with a chat. I wonder how many kids could get hooked betting on sports from the Vbookie part of this forum. I would think more legal issues could arrise from this then that of a chat.

Its a joke this place is never going to have a chat and there going to keep feeding us stuff we dont want to listen to.

Earth to Dan re-create Hockey forums Please.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
look guys, I am all talked out, and my answers won't change.

It doesn't matter what I want. That is not the issue, the issue is what we can do.

We cannot provide a chat at this time. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
look guys, I am all talked out, and my answers won't change.

It doesn't matter what I want. That is not the issue, the issue is what we can do.

We cannot provide a chat at this time. Sorry.
Indeed. I think its time to give it up guys, no one is getting anywhere anyways. For the time being, there has been an unofficial chat set up for us, which can be found by following the link in Amo's signature.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
vbookie is a game. Many forums have it. No currency is exhanged.
It might be a game and on many other forums. However the same can be said about chat on many other forums.

The thing that gets my attention now is the legal issues stated that surround a chat. And then when you think of Vbookie and the way it can promote a gambling habit wouldn't that call for some kind of legal issue based if it was in fact a minor who got hooked from this place?

Can you answer this? Or even your opinion.

So to me its a little contridicting to the matter & the support thats been handed out to us here that are based on our questions about having a chat.

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
Am I the first person to notice that the "Merge Suppport" has 3 P's in it?

And so ends my random thought of the evening...
After 14 pages and 136 posts we have found the winner of the great find the typo contest!!!

Had we a budget, MadDevil could have won an all expenses paid trip to the Idaho Potato Gun Jamboree. With great events such as the loudest beer fart contest, You'll do what with that spud!?!?, and Naked wrestling with porcupines!!

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
All this arguing aside, again I'm going to ask this question. it got missed in the general scuffle going on here.

Its a good question, and is not malicious towards anyone or anything, it just asks if we can be kept in the loop as to when these decisions get made so we can put a porfolio/case together to present to VS as a team.

Just out of curiosity, can we be kept in the loop as far as when the decision of the year's allocated funds are being made? It might be nice for staff and members to have a guideline as to a timeline for us to put together a good plea/argument or whatever you want to call it. a Package of thoughts!

If we know when the deadline is, we can all get together and put together a presentation that we can present to VS together instead of arguing here.

Ill assume its soon that money is allocated since its a new year now so can we put together a presentation and expect it to be heard before this "fund allocation" goes out? I KNOW we are not waiting another year, so im just hoping to see a date so I can put a presentation together.

Also, can we not consider free java based MIRC chats? They have TONS of free java based chats which do not consume server resources in any real manner.
If cost was factored out, would it help our cause?
I'm planning on writing a guide for newbies for those who want to use an MIRC client to reach the chat channel the guys put up. Others can use the link we put in our sig.

However, since it is free, the question still stands as to whether it is a problem and if we can eventually hotlink it on the front page like before?(I know we cannot now)

As for the legal issues. Unless you are using hacked versions of Pay chat clients or using a chat that allows file sharing, there is not a single thing anyone can ever do to you in court in regards to chat.

Otherwise, Free MSN chat channels would be extinct.

Just thought I would throw that out there since legal issues were brought up.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
As for the legal issues. Unless you are using hacked versions of Pay chat clients or using a chat that allows file sharing, there is not a single thing anyone can ever do to you in court in regards to chat.

Otherwise, Free MSN chat channels would be extinct.

Just thought I would throw that out there since legal issues were brought up.

Was kind of thinking the same thing a few pages back.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.