Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
9/30/2006 6:43:01 PM

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens have acquired defenceman Janne Niinimaa and a 5th round pick in 2007 from the Dallas Stars, in return for forward Mike Ribeiro and a 6th round pick in 2008.

Ribeiro, 26, is coming off a disappointing 2005-2006 season, during which he scored 51 points and posted a minus-6 rating, down from the 65 points and plus-15 rating he had produced in 2003-2004.

The 6-foot, 177-pound centre was a second-round pick of the Canadiens in 1998 and has scored 153 points in 276 career games.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
What?!:eek: So who's going to be taking up the duties on the 2nd line? :dunno:

I don't get it. I know they needed a defenceman, but as much as I like Niinimaa, this move is very questionable.

Niinimaa's play has been mediocre the since his 1st season in Long Island.

However, he is only 31, and when he does play well, he plays very well. Quite the gamble though, considering Montreal lost one of their top 6 forwards for him.

As much as Ribeiro's play is inconsitent, it can ta leats be guaranteed that he'll end the year with some good numbers... not to mention many big goals. He came through for his team lots of time last year.

Well, chalk this one up to the wait and see section.

If Niinimaa plays like he used to, a good all-around game, then this could still be a good deal for Montreal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is Incredible :D

What an amazing move for the habs. Not only do they get rid of a good for nothing slacker in Ribeiro, they get a decent defenseman in Niniima. I watched the guy play in Edmonton and he was really good. He may be playing pretty bad lately but remeber he is only 31. I think the change of scenery will do wonders for his confidence and his play. He's also playing with fellow finnish player in Saku Koivu. Ribeiro is not going to be playing to well as a centre in Dallas. That is going to be the most defensively sound division in the League. Pronger, Neidermayer, Jovonoski, and Sean O'Donnell. Im so glad I don't have to watch that sad excuse for a player anymore. Need I tell you of the Boston Playoff Incident. By the way, do i smell a Souray trade, rumor is hes going to Edmonton, hopefully for a grit player like Torres and maybe a pick. Also an included factor in this trade is the fact of the extra roster spot for Montreal they can now fit both Latendresse and Kostityn in the roster. They both deserve the spot. The salary may be a bit more to take on but its worth it listen to their top 6: Souray, Markov, Rivet, Komisarek, Niniima, and Bouillion/Dandenault. Thats incredible they have 7 roster defenseman so a trade is definetly going to happen in the near future.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Mike_habsfan said:
Also an included factor in this trade is the fact of the extra roster spot for Montreal they can now fit both Latendresse and Kostityn in the roster. They both deserve the spot.
Good point. I was wondering what they were going to do with Kostitsyn, especially since he played last season. That'd be a pain if suddenly he didn't have a spot with the big club. They'd have to send him back to Hamilton if he were left off for the year.

The salary may be a bit more to take on but its worth it listen to their top 6: Souray, Markov, Rivet, Komisarek, Niniima, and Bouillion/Dandenault. Thats incredible they have 7 roster defenseman so a trade is definetly going to happen in the near future.
So true. I'm also hearing a few Souray rumours here and there.

As for a 2nd line centerman, do you think Montreal will try Higgins out in that position? It's possible. He played very well last season. Maybe they see him passing Ribeiro on the depth chart, so it made him expendable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts