Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Balsillie, the Canadian businessman who emerged last month as the front-runner to buy the Penguins, is expected to be named as the team's new owner today.

Negotiations between Mr. Balsillie, 45, and the National Hockey League team apparently have progressed in recent days to the point where a deal was close yesterday, several sources close to the process said. Mr. Balsillie is expected to be here for the Penguins' season opener tonight at Mellon Arena against the Philadelphia Flyers and the announcement of the sale would coincide with that.

complete article

·
Registered
77 Posts
i hope they go to canada. canada is the biggest fan base in the world for hockey and the cup and the pens should go.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Mike_habsfan said:
i hope they go to canada. canada is the biggest fan base in the world for hockey and the cup and the pens should go.
Pittsburgh will stay. if the NHL goes back to canada like they should then move teams like Carolina. Nashville, Columbus, Florida, Tampa. i would be very happy to see the NHL back in Quebec, Winnipeg and even Hartford.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
As much as I would like Winnipeg or Quebec City to get a team back (maybe Hartford too), I'd rather the Penguins remain in Pittsburgh. There's just too much history behind the team with Mario and the two Stanley Cups and such.

That, and they no doubt have a huge fanbase.... or at least used to. I mean, the Penguins are the Penguins.

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
I hope they go to winnipeg, and with all the money balsille has he will build a new rink and probaly even keep the manitoba moose in town. Quebec city has the remparts and kitchener has the ranger so i cant see citys of a population of under 400,000 like that gettin a team, but then again kitchener has surroundings of waterloo cambridge, stratford not to far by, brantford not to far even london so they could attract a huge fanbase. Even Halifax would be a great place to put the team but can you imagine anihiem playing a game in halifax, wow that would be a long trip and i think halifax is not located close enough to any of the other citys (except toronto ottawa montreal) to be able to play. 2 american citys i would like to see nhl go to are Seattle, and Milwaukee, but i think those 2 citys are long shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts