Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
ScumWithANoose said:
His rights were traded to get Markennan (sp?). By Leetch signing with the Rangers the Oilders get the pick as compensation. They were actually talking about this during the first Ranger/Flyer game a couple of nights ago. Leetch was never going anywhere, and he will never go anywhere until his #2 goes up next to Richters number.
I agree Scum and it would kill me to see Leetch play for another team, but if Keenan was hired last summer as coach, Leetch would not be a Ranger today. I know from a very inside source (no I won't elaborate or name names), that Leetch absolutely depises Keenan. True he wasn't going anywhere provided Keenan was not hired by the Rangers. Otherwise he was gonzo.

To Leetch and his agent's credit, they did not use the Free Agency market to start a bidding war and raise his salary through the roof. ... There was no issue over money (He took a significant pay cut to return to the Rangers), Leetch was not testing the free agent waters. He wanted to stay with the Rangers for less money than he could have fetched on the free market. So why did they wait so long to get his contract squared away? Mr. Keenan I presume.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Matt said:
I agree Scum and it would kill me to see Leetch play for another team, but if Keenan was hired last summer as coach, Leetch would not be a Ranger today. I know from a very inside source (no I won't elaborate or name names), that Leetch absolutely depises Keenan. True he wasn't going anywhere provided Keenan was not hired by the Rangers. Otherwise he was gonzo.
Although if things remain as they are, you may well see Leetch playing for another team. I'm sure Leetch would be able to command prospects and/or good picks from a contending team that would like that extra D on the blue line.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
syxball said:
Although if things remain as they are, you may well see Leetch playing for another team. I'm sure Leetch would be able to command prospects and/or good picks from a contending team that would like that extra D on the blue line.
I can't see the Rangers trading Leetch. There would be an uproar like you wouldn't believe. Granted if they got good young guys it would be a good move for the future but I just can't see them doing it.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
ScumWithANoose said:
I can't see the Rangers trading Leetch. There would be an uproar like you wouldn't believe. Granted if they got good young guys it would be a good move for the future but I just can't see them doing it.
Ditto - I know there's been rumors that Leetch will be available, but I don't see it happening unless Leetch lets management know that he wants to go play some place else... To the best of my knowledge, he has never swayed from wanting to spend his whole career with the NYR.

But Anything's possible... Bondra just got traded. some team might think Leetch is all they need to complete the puzzle, and make an attractive offer to get him. It happens, but I hope it doesn't happen to him.

I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go play for a decent team though, he deserves it after all he has given the NYR franchise. Hell, Leetch is one of the precious few reasons that the Rangers have any fans left at all ;)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts