Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sather is out of his mind. I will forever be a fan of Messier and what he has done for my Rangers, but I have to ask one thing.

WHY OH WHY IS MESSIER GETTING MORE ICE TIME THAN HOLIK?!?!?!?!

In the game where the Rangers got their butt kicked by Toronto again Holik got 13:50 for the game, while Messier got 19:57. Messier was doing good in the beginning of the season when he was averaging like 12-15 mins a game. During this skid that the Rangers have been on he has been playing alot more. Sather has also been moving around Lindros like he is a bad piece of fruit or something. He needs some stability with his lines already. This is only hurting Lindros' game.

I propose a trade of Sather for a bag of peanuts to any team that would take him. Think the NY Yankees would take him? They have enough dummies as is, another wouldn't hurt. Heh.

ScumWithANoose

·
Registered
244 Posts
$^Ice^$ said:
lol. Auction Sather on Ebay. Some crazy person will take him.
Sad but true. You could find just about anything being sold on Ebay and you'd also find just about anyone willing to pay for that something.

As for Sather, I feel as a GM he isn't doing such a horrible job. I mean he is getting the players that he feels the Rangers need to be competitive. As a coach, however, his job is to make sure that those players gel together which under his tenure they definitely have not. His biggest mistake was giving the job to an unproven Bryan Trottier and basically throwing him to the wolves. He needs a strong personality to deal with these players. Somebody like Mike Keenan I feel would do well. Granted, he wouldn't be beneficial to the young players, but let's be honest, how many young players do the Rangers really have? The Rangers have been and always will be put together as a "NOW" team. Problem is, they aren't winning now. Being an Isles fan, I would love to see the Islanders and Rangers play each other in the playoffs again. Talk about rekindling a rivalry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought Mike Keenan was offered the job, but turned it down.
I'm not sure, But...

I know Larry Robinson was offered the job and he declined, too. Figures though, who would want a job for 1/2 a season if things don't go right?

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
I have never liked sather. People credit him alot for his cups with the oilers, but come on. A ham sandwich could have won the cup with that gretzky all star team. If he was the coach people say he is, then he should be able to make a team like the ranger gel.

I swear that team has a curse. Buy a high profile player, and the next thing you know, they suck and or get injured.

I personally think he is the most retarted money spender ever in the free agents category. And i never thought much about his coaching talent either.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
j0e Th0rnton said:
I have never liked sather. People credit him alot for his cups with the oilers, but come on. A ham sandwich could have won the cup with that gretzky all star team. If he was the coach people say he is, then he should be able to make a team like the ranger gel.

I swear that team has a curse. Buy a high profile player, and the next thing you know, they suck and or get injured.

I personally think he is the most retarted money spender ever in the free agents category. And i never thought much about his coaching talent either.
I never thought I would be defending Glen Sather, and at the risk of direspecting Wayne Gretzky, but how many cups did Wayne lead LA, St. Louis and the NYR to after he left Edmonton. Glen Sather was responsible for drafting for and/or trading for much of the talent on that all star team we remember as the Oiler Dynasty. Which if you remember won a cup without Gretzky. Sather as coach introduced an up tempo attacking style of game that best exploited the talents of his young charges, the same style many wax nostalgic for now.

As an executive with the Rangers, well Sather will get no defence from me. To me his is a hyporcrite for his reversal of his posture in Edmonton in the 90's where he was the champion of buget restraint and developing young talent, who bemoaned skyrocketing salaries and fiscal iresponsibility by big market teams. Then once he goes to New York he does just opposite. Do you know why he paid $9 Million/year for Bobby Holik? He got into a bidding war with himself. No one else was even in that range of bidding for Holik's services but the agent managed to persuade Sather that there were and Sather, Ranger fans and the rest of us got burned.

Trade Sather? Who would want him?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
KB knows.

Sather was the architect of the Oiler cup winning teams, from top to bottom. He had the guts to take those horses he had and let them run, and stuck with it even when they faltered at first.

Messier gives Sather much of the credit for that team's success.

I also agree with KB's assessment of Sather's about face since hitting the big apple. Holik's signing was brutal, as was Kasparitis'

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the Rangers starting to fall off, do you think Sather is going to try something drastic to get things going again? I haven't heard much, course here in NY they all talk about the offense. I'd rather see some D if any changes are to be made. So anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
427 Posts
KB in Kelowna said:
Do you know why he paid $9 Million/year for Bobby Holik? He got into a bidding war with himself. No one else was even in that range of bidding for Holik's services but the agent managed to persuade Sather that there were and Sather, Ranger fans and the rest of us got burned.

Not true Toronto offered Holik as much as the Rangers, Bobby just wanted to stay in the New York area.

As for Slats free spending much of that is due to Cablevision CEO, and MSG chairman James Dolan who demands that every big name free agent should be acquired by the rangers. Ex GM Neil Smith has gone on record as saying this.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Tweak78 said:
KB in Kelowna said:
Do you know why he paid $9 Million/year for Bobby Holik? He got into a bidding war with himself. No one else was even in that range of bidding for Holik's services but the agent managed to persuade Sather that there were and Sather, Ranger fans and the rest of us got burned.

Not true Toronto offered Holik as much as the Rangers, Bobby just wanted to stay in the New York area.

As for Slats free spending much of that is due to Cablevision CEO, and MSG chairman James Dolan who demands that every big name free agent should be acquired by the rangers. Ex GM Neil Smith has gone on record as saying this.
Bill Watters, who was in charge of Leaf contracts as assistant GM at the time has said that the Leafs dropped out of the bidding when it hit $7Million, Sather kept it going to $8.5 to 9 Million by bidding against himself. At least that what I have seen in William Huston colum in the on line version of the Globe and Mail, sorry but I don't have a link to the story.
As for the Dolan comments, well that is proof that the salary cap demand is the owners saying help protect us from our selves, we are spending to much and ruining the game.

·
Registered
427 Posts
KB in Kelowna said:
Bill Watters, who was in charge of Leaf contracts as assistant GM at the time has said that the Leafs dropped out of the bidding when it hit $7Million, Sather kept it going to $8.5 to 9 Million by bidding against himself. At least that what I have seen in William Huston colum in the on line version of the Globe and Mail, sorry but I don't have a link to the story.
As for the Dolan comments, well that is proof that the salary cap demand is the owners saying help protect us from our selves, we are spending to much and ruining the game.
I think this a story that will always have two or more sides, because I've seen Pat Quinn on record as saying that they offered Holik as much as the Rangers, I also read in Bruce Dowbiggin's book "Money Players", that both Toronto and Jersey were in it till the end. Also on last Saturdays Hot Stove Lounge, Al Strachan said esentially the same thing, but since it was Strachan that said it you have to take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
VERY much doubt lightpockets-Lou would go anywhere near that figure for ANY player, let alone Holik.

Brodeur doesn't even make $7M.

Quim and the leaf I could see though.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Tweak78 said:
KB in Kelowna said:
I think this a story that will always have two or more sides, because I've seen Pat Quinn on record as saying that they offered Holik as much as the Rangers, I also read in Bruce Dowbiggin's book "Money Players", that both Toronto and Jersey were in it till the end. Also on last Saturdays Hot Stove Lounge, Al Strachan said esentially the same thing, but since it was Strachan that said it you have to take it with a grain of salt.
I'll go with what you have said, I know Davidson who is probably the chief apologist for Ranger management in the media was defending the bid, and if Strachan agreed with him I wasn't listening. There again I rarely pay attention to Strachan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
syxball i agree that as a GM sather is great in dealing for players but he is good as a coach its just that he is trying to teach the team a new defensuve system that takes time to learn and now the rangers are starting to get the hang of it and the recent 2/11/04 devil game can prove that the most suprising thing is that defense is working for them now once the blueline is hea;thy again there shouldnt be any problems and i give much props to the rangers for beating the devil 3-1 ..especially cuz i was there

·
Registered
7 Posts
mike keenan wasnt offered the coaching job becuase sather felt that once they learned the system they would be fine but if i could pick one coach to take the job it would be keenan he did fine with the panthers he just didnt have that great a team with the rangers squad he could do alot

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
CarlstadtFlame99 said:
mike keenan wasnt offered the coaching job becuase sather felt that once they learned the system they would be fine but if i could pick one coach to take the job it would be keenan he did fine with the panthers he just didnt have that great a team with the rangers squad he could do alot
Keenan coming back to the Rangers would have been a disaster. Their are certain veterans on the Rangers (and probably all over the league) that would rather break their sticks over Keenan's head than play for him.

Remember when Leetch's contract was up last year, but he didn't re-sign with the Rangers? He actually let his rights get traded to Edmonton in a paper trade at the deadline (but he was still a UFA). And then remember he still didn't sign with the Rangers for even a few more months after that?

His agent was up front with all the curious teams who called, letting them know that Brian was not really on the market.... he wants to stay a Ranger. So why didn't he just re-sign already? They were not far apart on any aspect of his contract...

But there was rumors all summer that Keenan would be named the new Ranger coach. ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt said:
Remember when Leetch's contract was up last year, but he didn't re-sign with the Rangers? He actually let his rights get traded to Edmonton in a paper trade at the deadline (but he was still a UFA). And then remember he still didn't sign with the Rangers for even a few more months after that?
His rights were traded to get Markennan (sp?). By Leetch signing with the Rangers the Oilders get the pick as compensation. They were actually talking about this during the first Ranger/Flyer game a couple of nights ago. Leetch was never going anywhere, and he will never go anywhere until his #2 goes up next to Richters number.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts