Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the coyotes failing to agree a long term contract with bryz because he wanted $5.5 million a year, and labarbera tied up for 2 years as back up iam thinking we go for mike smith at free agency, failng that then maybe budaj, or even theodore. think thomas vokoun will be out of our price range and will go to a contender...... any thoughts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well from an interview I watched with Don Maloney he said he is looking for a 26-30 year old goaltender. With that in mind you could look to guys like Henrik Karlsson, possibly Ray Emery, or Curtis McElhinney. Outside of those 3 I don't think we would want their services. Those 3 would almost certainly come below a 3.5 mil contract and all 3 could be short term contracts. Nothing against Vokoun, hes an outstanding goaltender but would probably cost too much and be a little older than we would want. Smith just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will cut it as a starter. 2 years ago sure but as of now he just looks poor.

We have a good group of kids in the farm system that probably need at least another year or 2 so we just need someone who will suffice as a starter/split time with labarbera. Goaltending is an issue but I think that could be solved relatively easily. I think our biggest concern should be resigning Fiddler, Yandle, Turris, Boedker, Vrbata, and Korpikoski. After that we need to focus efforts on a top center and defensemen.

Unless they have signed extensions and I missed it, I would look to pick up Brad Richards (C, DAL), James Wisniewski (D, MON), Kevin Bieksa (D, VAN), and Christian Ehrhoff (D, VAN). Those are just 4 NHL experienced guys I would shoot for, there are also plenty of RFAs that will pop up come july. Outside of that our need will need to be addressed via trade. The only guys I would consider pulling up full time from the farm are Boedker, Maclean, Ekman-Larsson, Visentin, Gormley, and Summers otherwise I don't think we really have anyone ready to play in the NHL and those 6 still should spend some time in the farm.

As far as trades go, I would hit up Philly again for Carter or Pits for Staal. Neither will come cheap but 2 first round drafts (this year and next year), a solid prospect, and a NHLer could pull it off. This would address our need at center and then we only have to worry about getting a goaltender since our defense isn't bad by any stretch. Imagine a roster looking like this:

Stempniak - Carter/Staal/Richards - Whitney
Doan - Turris - Boedker
Vrbata - Hanzel - Pyatt
Korpikoski - Fiddler - Bissonnette/Maclean

Yandle - Klesla
Acoin - Morris
Gomrley/Schlemko/Ekman-Larsson - Rozsival

Ray Emery
Jason Labarbera

I would not be disappointed with that setup at all and it would still be financially efficient.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even though i would love to see players like richards, staal or carter play number 1 centre realisticly looking at it i don't think we will have any player here at over $6 million a year plus with us only having a gurrantee of staying in phoenix any top end ufa's or rfa's will think twice about coming to phoenix, so maybe 1/2 years contracts is the only possible way and the same with our own ufa's and rfa's, yandle will be $ 4-5 million a year for 2 years for example..

as for the goaltender think maloney will hit the ufa's rather than trade or lose picks unless he gives up 1st and 2nd round picks and gets a top end goalie.

also with the floor cap limit at $48 million and we are currentley at $32 millionish theres some room for improvment espically with no jovo or bryz contracts there, thats $10 million to start with or 3/4 good players.

think the way forward is to re sign, yandle, turris, boedker, korpikoski, vrbata, fiddler, belanger, and to resign as rampage/backup players maclean, clime, yonkman,

with regards to adding to the team lets go for one big name player i.e. number 1 centre and then add players like jussi jokien, laich, brendan morrison, tim connolly, ryder up front and in defence players like pitkanen, ian white, babchuk, greene or even alberts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't think people are going to scuff at the idea of having to come to phoenix. We have been in the top 10 teams the last 2 years and are only looking better (minus our goaltending situation). Im sure adding a solid netminder alone would make players want to sign short term deals here, ie. Richards. This is a good city for athletes, lots of things for them and their families to do. Even though the fan base is sub par and our ownership hasn't been fully sorted out I don't see why a player wouldn't be willing to sign a good 2 year contract to play here. The only current player I would look to sign long term on our list is Yandle. Boedker and Turris shouldnt get more than 2 or 3 years so we can finish watching them grow and see if they actually will be the kind of player we expect them to be.

We sink a good goaltender and top center, then add a couple more depth players as well as resigning our 8 or so other guys, we will have another competing team. Maybe not cup worthy but certainly a team that could push 2nd round.

I can see Yandle being handed a 4 year 4.75 million/year contract which pretty much covers the loss of Bryz. Then a new goaltender most likely costing in the 3million range will take out half of Jovos. thats still another 3 million to give to Korpikoski and Fiddler. Now we are sitting about 42 million and still will need around 6 million to get into the theoretical new cap minimum. That 6 million could be used to grab Richards for 2 years at 7.5 million/year, granted that will completely eat that bit of space but we need a top center, someone who can help Whitney feed people pucks plus Richards plays a good 2 way game. Yea with the addition of Richards our roster would be kinda thin but I'd imagine the impact of having him would be worth it. The rest of the money needed to sign Vrbata, Turris and Boedker will likely cost us another 7-8 million. Granted this puts us at 58 millionish, only 6 million away from the projected cap max. Chances are our budget from the NHL will be around 8 million less than what I just put out there but at the same time there is always the chance that the ownership situation is looking better than seen by the public eye and we somehow get approval to go that high. Mostly hopeful thinking on my part but could be the difference between just missing the playoffs and being a 2nd round team.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Figured I would mention these upcoming free agents as my top choices for the yotes to go for. While the team will still have restrictions on their hands, signing on new players and a NHL budget, many of these players could make a large impact on the team.

Forwards:

Jussi Jokinen- Jokinen is coming off a 19 goal season after posting 30 goals in 2009/2010 and could come at a relativity cheap price tag. The added scoring depth would be great to have, especially if we lose Vrbata and/or Korpikoski.

Brad Richards- The Yotes need a top center, thats something they have lacked for quite a few years now. The addition of Brad Richards could be the difference that keeps us in the playoffs for the 3rd straight year.

Zenon Konopka- Great at faceoffs and solid at blocking shots. The added toughness could be a huge factor in our game especially without star goaltender Bryzy. Would be a solid 3rd or 4th line guy to bring into our ranks.

Defensemen:

Christian Ehrhoff- at 28, Ehrhoff posted a 50 point campaign this last season. He's still young so he could be a threat for years to come. His offensive presence on the ice could help ease some pressure off Yandle as well, making it harder for teams to match up against the coyotes.

Goalies:

Ray Emery- Emery is still young enough to stick with the coyotes for a couple years and play a solid game. There is depth in the system but they are still not developed enough to make the big jump. Emery could be the solution to the coyotes goaltending woes.

Cedrick Desjardins- "He's won a Memorial Cup, an ECHL championship and guided a team to the AHL finals -- but has yet to stick on an NHL roster. He won both games he played for the Lightning this past season, allowing just one goal in each. At age 25, he could be ready to make the jump to full-time NHL player." (-NHL.com) I don't think I could have said it better here and with Jason Labarbra to share time with as well as guide him we could end up with the next Bryzgalov.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Goalie

I think that GMDM will look to get a bargain goalie. Like Phillys Michael Leighton or Tampas Mike Smith. He may also try to get Cory Schnieder, the goalie in the shadows of Luongo. I do not think GMDM will get Thomas Vokoun because of price and Vokoun might not want to sign with the Coyotes for various reasons.

I think the coyotes have good young goalies that still need to develop. However, they should not be rushed into the NHL. I really hope the coyotes do not sign Peter Budaj because he is terrible (IMO). I would prefer Jason LeBarbra in the net over Budaj.

GMDM will find a goalie that is in an unfortunate situation (like Eric Belanger was last season) or a goalie that is ready to be a starter and has not been given a chance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well at this point our new team consists of Mike Smith from Tampa and Raffi Torres. Curious to see who they bring in next, hopefully its Yandles contract thats finished quickly. Out of all the players, Yandle is the most important player we need to sign especially with a new "starting" goaltender now locked up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They will want to hold onto Yandle for sure. I think he will be the future face of the team once Doan is done. The Coyotes held onto Vrbata. I figured he would sign after leaving then coming back to Phoenix. We lost Fiddler, Ebbett, Belanger, and Jovo Cop. We got Boyd Gordon, Mike Smith, and Enroff though! Its only the end of day one of the Free Agent Frenzy,

I have no idea who we the Coyotes will sign, but I do know Richards is still available...Im only dreaming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts