Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The night started off great with a ceremony for Patrick Roy celebrating the retirement of his number 33 into the rafters. Brings a little bit of closure to Roy's exit from the Canadien's organization in 1995 after being embarrassed by allowing 9 goals against Detroit (I saw that game). Isn't it odd that Mario Trembley wasn't on hand for a few words. It was good to see Pat Burns looking fierce as always and the jovial Jacques Demers. I always liked that guy.

Roy had a few words saying how he still loved the Habs and Saku Koivu fulfilled his captain's duties by helping them unfurl his banner and raise it up to join Vezina, Plante, Richard, Beliveau and the other great Habs legends.

The game finally started, but not too much happened in the first period. A penalty to the Bruins' Chuck Kobasew and the shots were about even.

The only thing of note was George Laraque draping himself over Milan Lucic all night trying to goad the Bruins' youngster into a fight. Of course, there was no need for Lucic to drop the gloves with the talent-limited Laraque. The Habs would have loved the trade-off of taking the Bruins first-liner off the ice with their fourth-liner. Or is Laraque on the fifth line? All Laraque wanted to do was needle Lucic all night and didn't even bother trying to check him. A highlight of the game I saw showed Lucic cutting across the middle and Laraque in position to deliver a tremendous bodycheck, but he didn't even bother trying to slow Lucic up. Sad really. A big check would likely have woken up the sleepy Habs fans in the stands.

"I bet you Milan never thought he was that good that he'd have a shadow on him. I don't know if it's ever happened in his career but it's pretty simple, we've got a good hockey player, he's 20 years old, a first-line player, it's as simple as that," said Bruins coach Claude Julien of Laraque's shadowing Lucic.

The Habs' Andrei Kostitsyn finally opened the scoring at 1:31 of the 2nd period with a wrist shot that beat Tim Thomas. Lucic shook off pesty Laraque long enough to tip in his 6th of the season past Carey Price on a shot from Phil Kessel at 11:11 to tie things at one goal apiece. Let's see... Lucic has 6 goals, 7 assists for 13 points and is a plus 9. Lucic even has twice as many penalty minutes as Laraque! Meanwhile, Laraque is still trying to get his first point of the season and he is a minus 4 player. I'm surprised he isn't leading in the All Star balloting. All he would need would be a single point and he would match the output of current All Star balloting leader Mike Komisarek.

Matt Hunwick put the Bruins ahead with his 2nd of the season at 9:41 of the third period. David Krejci and Chuck Kobasew both had assists on the goal, giving Krejci 4 points and Kobasew 2 goals and one assist in their last 2 games. Tom Kostopoulos tied it 2-2 with about 3 minutes left on a tip from Robert Lang's shot. A weird goal as it bounced around and then somehow flipped over Thomas' shoulder and dropped into the net.

Roman Hamrlik was cut in the face later on a similar odd play. The Bruins had pressure in the Habs end and a shot went off Hamrlik's stick straight into his face and then flipped over Price almost dropped behind him in the goal, but it bounced wide. Hamrlik dropped to the ice and then left under his own steam, bleeding profusely heading directly for the Canadiens' dressing room to get patched up, but didn't return. No word yet on the extent of his injuries. The teams were scoreless the rest of the way.

Overtime decided nothing, and Montreal couldn't muster a single shot on Thomas in the extra period, while the Bruins pressed with 4 shots. Maybe the Habs were thinking they would win it in the shoot out. They were wrong.
Blake Wheeler scored on Boston's first shot and that proved to be the winner. Thomas stone-walled Alexei Kovalev, Andrei Markov and Saku Koivu to preserve the win.

With the win, the Bruins move into sole possession of first place in the Eastern Conference over the New York Rangers who lost 4-1 to the Ottawa Senators earlier in the day. Boston also stretched their lead over the Habs to 7 points. Right now the Bruins are one behind the league leading San Jose Sharks who have 33 points to the Bruins 32.

The point Montreal received gives them some breathing room on the Buffalo Sabres who are 4 points back after losing to the New York Islanders 4-2, and the Toronto Maple Leafs who squandered a 3-0 lead on the Chicago Blackhawks to lose 5-4 in OT.

Unfortunately the Habs-Bruins rivalry won't see another rematch until January 13th, 2009 almost 2 months from now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best games I've watched this season both involved the Bruins. The 2-1 win on Nov.12 game against the Blackhawks and Saturday night's game agains the Habs. Both were up tempo with end to end action all night. You almost hate to see either team lose in games like these. Tim Thomas is the man.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts