Hockey Fan Forums banner

Bruins 2007 draft review

882 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  panoo 
#1 ·
Written by Janine Pilkington
on 07/02/2007

Success may have eluded the Bruins at the NHL level in recent seasons, but one thing that has been a constant is the strength of their scouting and development of their young talent. Entering the 2007 draft, the organization had needs to fill on both offense and defense, however, it seemed most likely they would spend their top pick on a forward. The Bruins stuck with the No. 8 slot, and in Zach Hamill, they’ve added another talented and highly promising young forward. They spent their next four picks on defensemen and rounded out the draft in the seventh round with another forward from the WHL.

Zach Hamill, C -- 1st round, 8th overall -- Everett Silvertips (WHL)

Underrated and receiving little fanfare prior to the draft, nobody predicted that the Bruins would select Hamill at No. 8 overall. One of a handful of players who recently visited Boston for a closer look, he was high on the Bruins’ list of potential picks, and at only 18 years of age, Hamill already has three full seasons in the WHL under his belt.

“Maybe people didn’t respect me,” he said after he was drafted. “But rankings are rankings -- no ranking is as good as a team’s ranking, that’s what’s most important.”

Hamill, who was born in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, led the WHL in scoring with a total 93 points (32 goals and 61 assists) in 69 games for 2006-07 season. He also holds the distinction of being the first ever pick for Everett in the WHL Bantam draft. Under the tutelage of Silvertips’ head Coach Kevin Constantine, who by all accounts has a very defensive style game, Hamill still managed to produce offensively, and has shown steady progression with each season.

“That’s one of my key aspects is as an offensive player, but I’ve learned a lot defensively under Kevin Constantine. Hopefully that will help me get to the NHL a little quicker — because I’m not just a one-dimensional player.”

Hamill was a member of Team WHL for the Canada/Russia Challenge in November of 2006, but when he was passed over for an invite Team Canada's WJC training camp, it didn’t slide by unnoticed by the young forward. If anything, it was added incentive to succeed.

With a smooth stride and powerful acceleration, Hamill is able to create space for himself and his teammates. He has good vision, along with strong puckhandling and playmaking ability. The 5'11, 190-pound forward was considered undersized early in his junior career, but has developed into a solid physical player at the junior level.

Realistically, Hamill may be a couple years from the NHL, but his selection in the top 10 of the entry draft will no doubt cast more attention in his direction. He is expected to return for another season with the Silvertips in the 2007-08 season, under the direction of a new Head Coach John Becanic.

Tommy Cross, D -- 2nd round, 35th overall -- Westminster High School (NE Prep/Div.I)

The Bruins traded up a couple spots to land 6’3 195 lb defender and Connecticut native Tommy Cross, who spent the 2006-07 season playing prep school hockey. In 25 games with Westminster High (Simsbury, Connecticut), he totaled 20 points and 20 penalty minutes, playing against some of the top prep schools in New England. That he has local ties and grew up watching Boston sports has already piqued interest with fans. For Cross, who had planned to attend college in Boston, being drafted by the Bruins couldn’t be a better situation.

“That’s why I made my college choice, I wanted to be in Boston,” explained Cross. “It came down to BC and BU, and BC seemed like a better fit.”

Cross will have another year to go before he attends Boston College, during which he will play for the Ohio Junior Blue Jackets (USHL). One of the biggest positives with the USHL is the higher level of play, which will not only help his development but should better prepare him for college hockey as well. He is a superb athlete, possessing both the size and strength to be a dominant defenseman, and enough skill to add a more offensive element to his game.

“A couple years ago I could’ve just said I’m a defensive defenseman, but in today’s game you need to be able to skate, and get up ice and contribute to the offense, because it’s such an important part of the game. I think I’ve adapted my game in that way.”

Denis Reul, D -- 5th round, 130th overall -- Heilbronn Falcons (Germany)

FULL STORY

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.