Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie Finley or whatever his name was ruined them. Someone should bring them back. The original Oakland Seals with the O around the seal. If Nashville, Carolina, and the Florida teams can make they sure can.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Seals

Fighting Champ Probert said:
Charlie Finley or whatever his name was ruined them. Someone should bring them back. The original Oakland Seals with the O around the seal. If Nashville, Carolina, and the Florida teams can make they sure can.
The could always change the name of the san jose or anaheim teams to california seals.and bring back the classic jerseys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
There were rumors last fall that the Ducks were going to become the California Golden Seals next season, then they said they were just changing to the Seals colors, now the news is they're just dropping the "Mighty" from the nickname.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Technically, they are the San Jose Sharks franchise. Cleveland merged with the North Stars in like 1978. Then in like 1991, Gordon(?) Gund requested they be un-mergred and the San Jose Sharks were born.

That is my understanding.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Actually the Gunds sold their portion of the North Stars to Norm Greene in exchange for the rights to an expansion team that they placed in San Jose. Not quite a cut and dry thing but they did get 14 players from the North Stars franchise so the connection is there.

Oddly enough the Seals were part of the NHL's desire to earn an American TV contract back in 1968, somethings never change. The NHL vetoed a possible move of the Seals to Vancouver to keep them in a large TV market even though they were awful and attendance was worse.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fighting Champ Probert said:
Nashville isn't going to make it after all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Id love to see the old seals jersey back in action , but also agree that the market is tough on the west coast . People just dont know what they are missing . Speaking of which --does anyone know where to get any Seals game programs ? I can trade for Coyotes stuff.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wish the Seals hadn't moved

I sure wish the Seals hadn't moved. They had a team that was
starting to improve and had a chance to make the playoffs
in 1975-76. But they focused on San Francisco and as the
result they could not build an arena and thus, the decision
to move the team was made. But they did even worse in
Cleveland and the fans stayed away in droves. On January 31,
1977, they could not meet their paychecks to the players.
On February 17th, the same thing happened and the Barons
almost folded. The NHL players association and other NHL
teams pitched in money to keep the franchise alive for the
season.

Note: I am constructing regular season hilights for
the 1976-77 season at biocrawler and the plight of the
Barons will be part of it. I'll add it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was lucky enough to see them at home in the Oakland Coluseum (the jewel box) when they were the California Golden Seals with those cool aqua blue and gold uniforms. They played the Canadiens. Gary cobra Simmons vs Ken Dryden. miss the old hockey.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Seals (Barons then) didn't do well in Cleveland because they played down at the Richfield Collesium (sp). We didn't like to drive down there, even for Cavileir basketball games. Trouble was, that was the best venue for hockey in Cleveland at the time. They had the old Cleveland arena in downtown, but they tore it down as soon as the collesium was built.

I know it looks like it is not that far on the map, but even those of us coming in on the turnpike did not want to go all the way down there in the middle of winter. There was not much infrastructure as far as roads were concerned and one accident could back traffic up for hours. It was also in a dry county.

It was also a revolving door for teams in Cleveland back then. There were the old Barons, then the Crusaders (WHL) and then the newer Barons (seals) all within a few years. And this was in a football town/area with limited TV.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have driven past the Coliseum on my way to NY. I was surprised how far from downtown Cleveland it was sited. It reminds me of Auburn Hills or Pontiac.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts