Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know why Brett never gets looked at or even a call up to Phoenix, the kid is major talented he is leading San Antonio in 33 games 16 goals 10 Assists with 26 points he played with John Tavares in the Ontario Hockey league for 3 years with the Oshawa Generals in his last year he got 61 goals in 61 games try reading up on him I think it really stinks that Phoenix isn,t even looking at him or calling him up this kid has skill!

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
1) His skating isn't at a NHL level yet.

2a) He wouldn't get top six ice time and isn't a bottom six player.

2b) He gets a lot more ice time in San Antonio to work on his skating and develop further than the ice time he would get in Phoenix. What's better for developing a young player? 23 minutes a night in San Antonio or 6 and a half minutes skating on the fourth line in Phoenix.

3) The Coyotes are winning, so why would they rush a prospect who has the potential to be a good top six player if you don't have to?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Cody Hodgson is equally as good but Canucks want him to improve for a year or so. Nazem Kadri of the Toronto Maple Leafs was drafted this year but isn't playing this season. He's practising on his skills. Rather have a satisfied, incredible rookie then a under skilled rookie. This is why we aren't the NHL coaches.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) His skating isn't at a NHL level yet.

2a) He wouldn't get top six ice time and isn't a bottom six player.

2b) He gets a lot more ice time in San Antonio to work on his skating and develop further than the ice time he would get in Phoenix. What's better for developing a young player? 23 minutes a night in San Antonio or 6 and a half minutes skating on the fourth line in Phoenix.

3) The Coyotes are winning, so why would they rush a prospect who has the potential to be a good top six player if you don't have to?
MacLean would skate circles around Tavares and Tavares made the NHL so what part of the game does he need to develop? he scores goals and when Brett played in Oshawa Generals Brett was an all around player in every part of the game! do you guys really think NHL is that much faster than AHL? but yes if MacLean isn,t going to get ice time he is better off staying in San Antonio too bad New York Islanders couldn,t get him then he could be back with Tavares

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
There's a difference. Tavares came to a team without top six forwards ahead of him and MacLean has top six forwards ahead of him in Phoenix. I think that Tavares would have benefitted greatly from working on his skating in the AHL for a season, however the Islanders are a desperate team, whereas since the Coyotes are winning, they don't have the same desperation. If they were bottom feeders, you'd likely see MacLean up along with Turris.

The NHL is a lot faster than the AHL, and that's the fact why you have players like Denis Hamel, Keith Aucoin, Darren Haydar and the like that dominate in the AHL, but make very little impact in the NHL. Their skating isn't at a NHL level, but their raw skills translate well to the AHL.

If MacLean works on his skating, he will be a very good top six NHL player. If he doesn't, then he'll be a fringe NHLer. Bringing him up to just play him in the bottom six for the sake of playing him is a good way to ruin a quality offensive prospect (see: Columbus Blue Jackets and Gilbert Brule). The AHL is where he should be until he outperforms someone that's in the top six and makes it impossible for the Coyotes to not cut him. He was one of the last cuts this year, so he's close.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a difference. Tavares came to a team without top six forwards ahead of him and MacLean has top six forwards ahead of him in Phoenix. I think that Tavares would have benefitted greatly from working on his skating in the AHL for a season, however the Islanders are a desperate team, whereas since the Coyotes are winning, they don't have the same desperation. If they were bottom feeders, you'd likely see MacLean up along with Turris.

The NHL is a lot faster than the AHL, and that's the fact why you have players like Denis Hamel, Keith Aucoin, Darren Haydar and the like that dominate in the AHL, but make very little impact in the NHL. Their skating isn't at a NHL level, but their raw skills translate well to the AHL.

If MacLean works on his skating, he will be a very good top six NHL player. If he doesn't, then he'll be a fringe NHLer. Bringing him up to just play him in the bottom six for the sake of playing him is a good way to ruin a quality offensive prospect (see: Columbus Blue Jackets and Gilbert Brule). The AHL is where he should be until he outperforms someone that's in the top six and makes it impossible for the Coyotes to not cut him. He was one of the last cuts this year, so he's close.
can you explain what you mean top 6 forwards ahead of Brett? because Brett is tops in San Antonio for points at 26 points and 16 goals! I'm not saying you are wrong but I'm lost what you mean

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
In Phoenix, their top six forward spots are already filled by other players. In San Antonio, where there aren't top six forwards ahead of him, MacLean is getting top six forward time.

He wouldn't be getting the same amount of ice time in Phoenix that he's getting in San Antonio. And Phoenix shouldn't bring MacLean up unless he's going to get a fair amount of ice time, like 17 minutes or so a night.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Phoenix, their top six forward spots are already filled by other players. In San Antonio, where there aren't top six forwards ahead of him, MacLean is getting top six forward time.

He wouldn't be getting the same amount of ice time in Phoenix that he's getting in San Antonio. And Phoenix shouldn't bring MacLean up unless he's going to get a fair amount of ice time, like 17 minutes or so a night.
yes I agree with that no sense sitting on the bench but I'm looking at Phoenix roster and I'm sure Brett could keep up with Peter Mueller or Kevin Porter don,t you think?

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
yes I agree with that no sense sitting on the bench but I'm looking at Phoenix roster and I'm sure Brett could keep up with Peter Mueller or Kevin Porter don,t you think?
Mueller's getting 13 minutes of ice time a night and Porter's getting just over 6 minutes of ice time a night. And they're not in Phoenix's top six. It's bad enough they're wasting those two, let alone adding another one in MacLean.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mueller's getting 13 minutes of ice time a night and Porter's getting just over 6 minutes of ice time a night. And they're not in Phoenix's top six. It's bad enough they're wasting those two, let alone adding another one in MacLean.
I was told Phoenix wants to bloom Kyle Turris and Brett MacLean and get them ready to play together in Phoenix and let them get more experience in San Antonio
there is lots of NHL player that had to go to AHL team first before coming to NHL!

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
I was told Phoenix wants to bloom Kyle Turris and Brett MacLean and get them ready to play together in Phoenix and let them get more experience in San Antonio
there is lots of NHL player that had to go to AHL team first before coming to NHL!
That's one of the exact reasons that I gave you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

ya I understand that Tavares got drafted by a team that is a lot weaker but as a junior I like MacLean better than Tavares because MacLean was a complete player more so than Tavares, I think Tavares should be in the AHL so he can work on his skating but Tavares is for sure a skilled player but so is MacLean 16 goals 26 points leading San Antonio but no sense going up to phoenix if he won,t get ice team I agree!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts