Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Well looks like the Devils just snagged the best Coach that wasnt in the NHL. A guy I didn't even know was availible. So who's the next Junoir coach to make the NHL ranks? Roy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well looks like the Devils just snagged the best Coach that wasnt in the NHL. A guy I didn't even know was availible. So who's the next Junoir coach to make the NHL ranks? Roy?
id say yes probably roy! I just hope for brents sake the devils play decent hockey cause we all kno lou isnt the easiest guy to work for and he fires people at the drop of a hat ! might i say the George Stienbrener of the nhl?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Maybe sutter can call trots get him on board also. Well he played under one of the best coaches in Al Arbour im interested to see if they have similiar coaching styles and if they do then if they fit with todays game.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Maybe sutter can call trots get him on board also. Well he played under one of the best coaches in Al Arbour im interested to see if they have similiar coaching styles and if they do then if they fit with todays game.
Brent did wonders in Chicago, and ever since he was fired the Hawks haven't made the playoffs since. But he was the coach when the Haweks actually looked like contendors. The courious thing is when the Devils, Isles, Leafs and Canucks were looking for coachs last summer he said he didnt want to coach in the NHL ever since the Chicago thing. And after the mass success Nolan had(also a former coach fired fromt he NHL due to a franchise schandal) the future looks pretty good for Sutter IMO. Sutter also has done fantastic jobs with Canada's WJs over the years and really did look like the best coach not in the NHL. I think he was a great move for NJ especailly considerign the runner up might have been Quinn.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Brent did wonders in Chicago, and ever since he was fired the Hawks haven't made the playoffs since. But he was the coach when the Haweks actually looked like contendors. The courious thing is when the Devils, Isles, Leafs and Canucks were looking for coachs last summer he said he didnt want to coach in the NHL ever since the Chicago thing. And after the mass success Nolan had(also a former coach fired fromt he NHL due to a franchise schandal) the future looks pretty good for Sutter IMO. Sutter also has done fantastic jobs with Canada's WJs over the years and really did look like the best coach not in the NHL. I think he was a great move for NJ especailly considerign the runner up might have been Quinn.
Not exactly sure what happened in chicago. Julian had the devils in first and he was canned. Should sutter feel any different taking this coaching position under those circumstances?

From what i been hearing sutter is a great coach. but how is he going to like Licking Lou's @#$%&* for that matter any coach going there now or in the future will always be thinking this.

For what its worth the devils have a fine new coach. Im sure the feeling is mutial with devils fans thinking maybe Lou should just let sutter roll with the team rather then canning him when the going gets rough.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not exactly sure what happened in chicago. Julian had the devils in first and he was canned. Should sutter feel any different taking this coaching position under those circumstances?

From what i been hearing sutter is a great coach. but how is he going to like Licking Lou's @#$%&* for that matter any coach going there now or in the future will always be thinking this.

For what its worth the devils have a fine new coach. Im sure the feeling is mutial with devils fans thinking maybe Lou should just let sutter roll with the team rather then canning him when the going gets rough.
i feel that brother ! like i said nhl's version of george steinbrener aka lou lamourello! as your fellow ranger fan id like to see lou keep his ass in the offices and let sutter be the great coach that he is and stop trying to be jerry jones!(the cowyboys owner)

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
I have to say it's quite amusing seeing Rangers fans telling Lou how to run his team...
Well here maybe if a flyers fan did it ,it would help.:)

How or what the hell was Sutter or any other coach thinking accepting a job from lou who.!!! The guy is a wack job who\s ego is bigger than the team.It would seem the better a coach does in nj the more inclined insane lou is to get rid of them , it's as if lou can't stand someone being as or more sucessfull than him.:hky1:

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
Sutter also has done fantastic jobs with Canada's WJs over the years and really did look like the best coach not in the NHL. I think he was a great move for NJ especailly considerign the runner up might have been Quinn.
The best coach not in the NHL is Brian Kilrea. It's too late now for him being as he is 73 years of age, but I feel he could have given some of Bowmans records a run for a ride.

As for Sutter, because he was screwed over before, something tells me he has some sort of written agreement with Lou, and could quite possibly be groomed to take over for Lou.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Here's a nice little article for all those who think Lou is just an egotistical bastard who fires coaches because he feels like it...

THIS was at practice during the latter stages of last season, after the championship core of Devils had become skeptical that Claude Julien possessed either the inner core of toughness or independence from Mayor-Judge-Town Sheriff-Inn Keeper Lou Lamoriello to lead the team to a Stanley Cup.

With Lamoriello attending to administrative duties and therefore absent from his usual perch at the rink, one of the veterans intentionally shot a puck at Julien during a drill to test how the coach would respond. The story goes that when Julien refused to confront the athlete or even acknowledge the overt act of disrespect, the players concluded that the head coach would have to go, and essentially fired him.

Rest assured. No player will dare shoot a puck at Brent Sutter.

The Devils always have been a unique group, as demanding of their coaches as their coaches have been of them, and in some cases, even more so. They push the margins, and if their coaches don't push back, they find the way to inform Lamoriello that a change is needed. Even as this championship core covets independence, even as it shrinks, it requires discipline.

It is about tough love in New Jersey, and has been since Jacques Lemaire walked down the waters of the St. Lawrence Seaway to establish New Jersey as the epicenter of NHL Eastern Conference power 14 summers ago. The franchise is about honor and work ethic and pride, the same way that honor, work ethic and pride define the Sutters.

Sutter was born to be a Devil, this most talented of the six brothers who snarled and battled their way through the NHL in the '70s, '80s and '90s, this center who could make plays for Mike Bossy, this two-time Cup-winning Islander, this disciple of the great Al Arbour who wins championships wherever he goes.

The Devils may have lost Scott Gomez and Brian Rafalski to free agency this month. But the addition of Brent Sutter - tough, independent and resource- ful - leaves the franchise ahead for the summer.
Source

·
Registered
737 Posts
Claude Teddy Bear Julien huh..I think Sutter would of had the player benched if not traded...regardless who it was...thats something lou would of not stood for.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hope it works out there for Sutter, he is a good coach, as all the Sutters seem to be. Odd why he would choose New Jersey as there may be a power struggle down the road with big Lou, bot guys like to have control, but if they are able to play nicely together, i think this could be one of Lous best moves in years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts