Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about the rumors of a trade for Brad Stuart?

I've heard Jason Smith and Bergeron for Stuart and Sturm. While it would be hard to lose Jason Smith, if we could get some sort of assurance that Stuart would resign with us in the offseason I'd be all for it. I hate Bergeron and would love to see him go, let alone the fact that we would be getting a good young defencemen back in the deal, which is what the Oilers deseperatly need.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
 

·
We Are All Canucks
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
I dont think the oilers need to trade a guy like Jason Smith and Beregeron. I wouldent trade either of them for Stuart. But then again if Stuart isnt the guy they need who else would be??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canuck said:
I dont think the oilers need to trade a guy like Jason Smith and Beregeron. I wouldent trade either of them for Stuart. But then again if Stuart isnt the guy they need who else would be??
Im suprised anyone wouldnt want to rid themselves of Bergeron. Its nice to hear "upside" and all, but Im done with him. Hes a liability on the ice, and if theres one thing I hate its defencemen who cant play D, and are out there acting like a forward ...cough...Gonchar...cough...

Stuart isnt the answer, but I'd say hes sure as hell a step in the right direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
When I first heard the rumour it was for Raffi Torres straight up, then Raffi, a prospect and a high pick.

I wouldn't trade Smith, not for the deal being discussed. It seem like it'd be a step forward and another step back.

If the Oil could do Stuart for Torres, Bergeron and / or a prospect and a mid pick, I'd pull the trigger in a second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shookem said:
When I first heard the rumour it was for Raffi Torres straight up, then Raffi, a prospect and a high pick.

I wouldn't trade Smith, not for the deal being discussed. It seem like it'd be a step forward and another step back.

If the Oil could do Stuart for Torres, Bergeron and / or a prospect and a mid pick, I'd pull the trigger in a second.

Torres is far more important to the Oilers than Smith play wise IMO. Torres takes players out of the game. I've seen so many guys limp off the ice after Torres runs them into the boards.

Am I the only guy who appreciates Raffi?
 

·
We Are All Canucks
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
RStar said:
Torres is far more important to the Oilers than Smith play wise IMO. Torres takes players out of the game. I've seen so many guys limp off the ice after Torres runs them into the boards.

Am I the only guy who appreciates Raffi?
Raffi is a great player and I really dont think the oilers can afford to trade this guy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canuck said:
Raffi is a great player and I really dont think the oilers can afford to trade this guy.

Agreed. He'll get you 40 or so points, but his physicality is a huge part of his game. There arent many players who can hit like he can, and give you a viable offensive threat every night.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Why trade two dmen for Stuart and Sturm? Doesn't make sense. If Stuart is available then why not Winchester and a second rounder. Cap room is always put into question with these deals and I believe the Oil have room for a guy like Stuart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I wouldn't trade bergeron, he's not that bad in his own zone, just cause he made some costly mistakes doesn't mean everyone has to start hating him. He's actually not a bad player.

I doubt lowe would give up smith and bergeron for stuart, end of story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rids said:
Why trade two dmen for Stuart and Sturm? Doesn't make sense. If Stuart is available then why not Winchester and a second rounder. Cap room is always put into question with these deals and I believe the Oil have room for a guy like Stuart.
I cant see Boston jumping at that offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trizz251 said:
I wouldn't trade bergeron, he's not that bad in his own zone, just cause he made some costly mistakes doesn't mean everyone has to start hating him. He's actually not a bad player.

I doubt lowe would give up smith and bergeron for stuart, end of story.

Bergeron is not a good player. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I've watched or been to almost all the games for the past 2 years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
RStar said:
I cant see Boston jumping at that offer.
What's Stuart's cap space worth to a team that likely won't make the playoffs and will try to re-build in the free agent market over the summer? Why not dump a salary for a prospect and a pick to sign a better player later?

Right now Stuart is a $2,400,000 player. Winchester is $500,000 which would give Boston instantly nearly 2 mil of cap space.

Raffi Torres is $925,000
Patrick Thoresen is $517,500

Any of these three prospects would give the Bruins a lot of extra cap room. Edmonton also has a lot of minor league and junior prospects that most teams would give an arm or a leg for including Boston. Guys like Cogliano would likely get Stuart and a pick in return.

I wouldn't mind seeing Edmonton package Deslauriers and Freddy Pettersson for another solid defenseman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rids said:
What's Stuart's cap space worth to a team that likely won't make the playoffs and will try to re-build in the free agent market over the summer? Why not dump a salary for a prospect and a pick to sign a better player later?

Right now Stuart is a $2,400,000 player. Winchester is $500,000 which would give Boston instantly nearly 2 mil of cap space.

Raffi Torres is $925,000
Patrick Thoresen is $517,500

Any of these three prospects would give the Bruins a lot of extra cap room. Edmonton also has a lot of minor league and junior prospects that most teams would give an arm or a leg for including Boston. Guys like Cogliano would likely get Stuart and a pick in return.

I wouldn't mind seeing Edmonton package Deslauriers and Freddy Pettersson for another solid defenseman.
I dont think Raffi can still be considered a prospect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
RStar said:
Im suprised anyone wouldnt want to rid themselves of Bergeron. Its nice to hear "upside" and all, but Im done with him. Hes a liability on the ice, and if theres one thing I hate its defencemen who cant play D, and are out there acting like a forward ...cough...Gonchar...cough...

Stuart isnt the answer, but I'd say hes sure as hell a step in the right direction.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Although he helps out offencively, Bergeron hurts the team defencively.

Him being a defenceman, his job is to be a defenceman, and if he doesn't do that well then he's not as good as people say he is.

That's my biggest problem with McCabe, and why I always refer to Bergeron him as "McCabe the 2nd".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
Rids said:
Still think that Torres is such a great addition after being the cause of not one but TWO Vancouver 5 on 3's last night. Not impressed.
I'm not a Raffi fan, he seems like Darcy Tucker light too me.

Mind you I don't watch tons of Oilers hockey so I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Darcy Tucker Lite. Good impression of the guy for sure. He disappears too much for me. Like Georges Laraque used to. See him all over the place for two or three shifts and then wonder where he went the rest of the game.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top