Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Jackets winger Jared Boll, who has shown a consistent willingness to stand up for teammates, often against much larger fight partners, has been nominated for the 2010 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy by the Columbus chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

The award is given annually to the NHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Jared Boll? The award is partially for sportsmanship. Come on.

This is a joke of an award anyway. It's basically a popularity contest amongst the teams writers, and most of the announced nominees are terrible. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like there's two ways to be nominated: be old or get cancer.

Sergei Gonchar played in the playoffs last season with a torn MCL, had surgery in the off-season, came back this year and has been one of the better offensive defensemen in the league. That shows more perseverance and dedication than Bill Guerin simply being old.

What about Patrice Bergeron actually looking like Patrice Bergeron once again? After two concussions and questions about whether or not he could actually play anymore, he comes out and leads the team in scoring. Mark Recchi gets the nod because he's 42.

What has Rod Brind'amour done this year, besides have his captaincy taken away? Give the nod to Manny Legace. He didn't even have a job at the start of the season, and he came into a situation where the team was playing incredibly poorly.

Paul Martin missed 59 games with a broken arm. But I'm alright with Elias being nominated, he did miss 24 games this season due to two different injuries and hasn't looked to miss a beat. Both are deserving of a nomination, as far as I'm concerned.

Even more questionable are players like Jim Slater being nominated over Chris Chelios. Chelios, at 48, spent considerable time in the minors and worked his way back up to the NHL. I might be missing something from Jim Slater's story, but how anybody can be more dedicated than Chelios for the Thrashers this year perplexes me.

Tomas Holmstrom is a decent nominee for the Red Wings, but Andreas Lilja missing near 100 games over 11 months and coming back makes him a better nominee.

The only nominee that I really agree with is the Maple Leafs selection of Jonas Gustavsson. Two heart surgeries, the death of his mother and a move to a whole new continent. He's overcome a lot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts