Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CHICAGO - The Chicago Blackhawks say recently signed winger Marian Hossa is rehabilitating a shoulder injury he suffered during the Stanley Cup playoffs while with Detroit.

The injury was first reported by the Daily Herald newspaper in suburban Arlington Heights. The extent of the injury was not disclosed by the team.

Team spokesman Brandon Faber said Wednesday that team doctors are "monitoring" the injury.

A five-time all-star, Hossa signed a 12-year, US$62.8 million contract with the Blackhawks on July 1 after helping the Red Wings reach the Stanley Cup finals, where they lost to Pittsburgh. He led Detroit with 40 goals last season and was third with 71 points.

Hossa's arrival coincided with the departure of Blackhawks forward Martin Havlat, who signed with Minnesota. The Blackhawks hope Hossa will give even more punch to a team that reached the Western Conference finals last season.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=451152

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
there are some reports that it is possible Hossa might need surgery, which could put him out of the Hawks lineup until December. Be a great way to start a 12 year contract.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a twelve year contract for a player that might not even play 200 games.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Al_8xN9_nWpwRduH26G6yQN7vLYF?slug=ap-blackhawks-hossa&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Chicago Blackhawks say recently signed right wing Marian Hossa will undergo surgery Friday on his right shoulder to repair a small tear in his rotator cuff.

Team physician Dr. Michael Terry said in a statement the recovery usually takes about four months
The Blackhawks knew about the injury when they signed the five-time All-Star to a 12-year, $62.8 million contract on July 1 and were hoping to avoid an operation. But his shoulder did not respond well enough to treatment the past few weeks.

“After consulting with my family and the Blackhawks, I have no doubt that this is the correct decision,” Hossa said in a statement. “I plan on being a member of the Blackhawks for a very long time, which is why I want to get this done and begin my career in Chicago at 100 percent.”
So, it's offical, Hossa will be out till at least December. I'm sure Detroit and LA feel they dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
well Hossa is out so he's not going to be back about what like November December?! Blackhawks have to be sharp without Hossa even though they didn't play with him yet. But i'm confident that hawks are still going to be strong and well played without Hossa. And are also going to be off to a great start. Kane and Toews will be sharp for them while Hossa is out. good luck to the Hawks.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, Chicago with a good, yet bad move.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Blackhawks-didn-t-give-Hossa-physical-before-con;_ylt=AknQ2rnBwOGK_BwhFg7pg1Z7vLYF?urn=nhl,178601

So, apparently, the hawks signed hossa to a 12 year deal without even giving him a physical till 9 days after the signing.

In the end, it comes back to one's perception of the Hawks after these turbulent few weeks: Not giving Hossa a physical until July 10 is either a gamble the team apparently won, or part of a reckless managerial trend that included a cover-up of his ailment for good PR.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
It's a twelve year contract for a player that might not even play 200 games.
This is Marian Hossa we're talking about, not Rick DiPietro.

This is his first major injury in his career, he's not injury prone. He'll play 200 games with the Blackhawks. Whether or not the shoulder surgery affects his on-ice performance, however, we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Marian Hossa surgurey is sucsesful. He will be ready in for months.

read about it on NHL.com!

·
Registered
14 Posts
VICE™;560168 said:
This is Marian Hossa we're talking about, not Rick DiPietro.

This is his first major injury in his career, he's not injury prone. He'll play 200 games with the Blackhawks. Whether or not the shoulder surgery affects his on-ice performance, however, we'll have to wait and see.
indeed. Hossa is usually very durable. its just bad luck this happened at the start of his new contract. If the Hawks can get off to a good start (which is not unlikely) Hossa will come fresh in December and the Hawks will add an elite winger for the second half of the season without having to trade. We'll see what happens. He can easily stack 500 games in the next 7 seasons and then retire. the question is how can the hawks deal with the salary cap and hold on to their youngsters

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
However, I see this a lost season for Hossa, when he comes back in december, it will take him little more time to get back up to speed, then, in febuary, the NHL goes on a two week break for the olympics. (which I'm not a fan of) So, that might slow him little again, and in result he will have career low numbers, and with his track record in the playoffs, I wouldn't expect anything till 2010-11.

·
Registered
14 Posts
However, I see this a lost season for Hossa, when he comes back in december, it will take him little more time to get back up to speed, then, in febuary, the NHL goes on a two week break for the olympics. (which I'm not a fan of) So, that might slow him little again, and in result he will have career low numbers, and with his track record in the playoffs, I wouldn't expect anything till 2010-11.
I myself am a big fan of the olympic break. I like when the best players in the world represent their countries. It is a much different experience and more thrilling than the usual 82 game reg. season schedule.

But back to Hossa. He usually comes back very strong after a break. He tends to be strong in the beginning of the season when he is fresh. This time his season will start in December and he will do well. He is going to be rehabbing for a long enough time and his fitness will certainly be back to normal by then. I think this might be beneficial for his playoff performance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts