Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://thefourthperiod.com/news/chi090714.html

TFP has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks fired general manager Dale Tallon late Monday and an official announcement will be made on Tuesday.

TFP Columnist and Comcast Chicago anchor Josh Mora has also confirmed that Stan Bowman, the club's assistant GM, will be taking over as GM.

Tallon was named the eighth GM in team history on June 21, 2005. Prior to becoming GM, he served as assistant GM, and was the club's director of player personnel from 1998-2002.

Tallon's job had reportedly been on the fence since the Hawks season had ended.

Sources close to the situation tell TFP "the embarrassment over the negative publicity of the contract situation (regarding the club's restricted free agents) was the clinching blow."

The Blackhawks were believed to be late in notifying the agents of their main RFAs that they had received qualifying offers. As a result, the Hawks had signed those players, including Cam Barker and Kris Versteeg, to new contracts.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently, the plot thickens little more.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284740

Yes, Chicago Blackhawks fans want to know the truth.

They want to know what Havlat believes led to Tallon's firing.

Hawks fans want to understand how a negotiation that lasted better than three months, focused on keeping Havlat a Hawk long term and involved his agent Allan Walsh, Tallon and now Chicago's newest GM, Stan Bowman, mysteriously eroded.

Aside from reaching out via Twitter, Havlat has been silent and wants to move on and focus on his new home and opportunity with the Minnesota Wild. However, Havlat also wants to clear the air and set the record straight and has offered his thoughts exclusively to TSN.ca on a number of issues he observed while in Chicago, starting with his failed negotiation.

"My negotiation with Chicago was not between Dale and my agent, it was between Dale and McDonough," Havlat said "Why? Because McDonough couldn't stand that Dale was so successful and getting the credit for building the Hawks from a last place team to making the Conference Final in three short years. Remember, we were also the youngest team in the NHL last year."

"I was too closely identified with Dale," he continued. "McDonough knew long ago he was going to fire Dale. He wanted someone he could claim as his own He wanted to stand up at the convention and claim credit for signing this guy or that guy."

Havlat's candor won't be easily accepted by the Blackhawks, and there may be claims of this being nothing more than the backlash of a jilted player, but Havlat's appreciation for Dale Tallon is what drove him to speak up mere hours after Tallon's firing was confirmed.

"Dale and I were very close and I stand for loyalty. The players loved Dale and they are with him. Every single player on that team is with Dale. I still talk to the guys all the time, hockey players know a phony when they see one."

"I was part of a very special team but that team doesn't exist anymore. I am really disappointed that Rocky Wirtz would let something like this happen," Havlat told TSN.ca.

Havlat's parting request follows up on a tweet sent on Tuesday. A challenge for the Blackhawks faithful who may share his views on Chicago's future.

"It's up to the fans now to be heard on this. If you care about the direction of the team, do something about it," Havlat concluded.

That's powerful stuff from a player who loved Chicago, loved the Blackhawks organization, and clearly has a deep connection with Dale Tallon, now the former general manager.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/1672290,CST-SPT-hawk18.article

The recent Blackhawks fan festival sounded to be a fun one. John McDonough get welcomed by Boos. and some players took a cautionous approach in their dislike in Tallon's dismissial.
Kris Versteeg: ''Dale did a great job. I loved having him here, but there's so many great people in this organization. We'll see how it works out.''

Patrick Kane: ''I don't understand it, but I respect the decision. I'm confident management will make all the right moves. It was unfortunate seeing him go, but I guess it had to be done.''

Adam Burish: ''I was surprised, shocked. I didn't see it coming, but we have no idea what goes on in the front office. I was close to Dale. He gave me an opportunity to play in the NHL, but Stan will be great. He's a sharp, sharp man. They live in their own world, and I don't go up there [to the front office] unless I've done something stupid.''

Jonathan Toews: ''You can't stress out about things you can't affect as a player. I don't really know what happened behind the scenes, but you've got to trust that the right decisions were made. That's the nature of this business sometimes. We're all happy to be together now. We've got a great family here.''

Patrick Sharp: ''It was disappointing. Dale was the guy who brought me here in a trade with Philadelphia, and that helped me develop. It's exciting to know he's still on board.''
If that wasn't fun enough, the link has a few hawks' players singing Karoke at the convention.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts