Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the past few days of signings and trades here is my input on how i feel the Rangers did with the addition and subtraction. Although more may be coming this is for now.

Jagr is gone but replaced by a 23 year old budding star in Zherdev. A+ grade as we get a jagr like talent that hasnt hit his prime. Zherdev has palyed in 283 games has 181 points this alone without any center.

Shanahan is gone Replaced By Naslund. Good value good scorer and x captain of the canucks. If anyone replaces Shanny the Rangers hit a Home Run here. A+ grade

Malik/Mara/Backman are gone one being Replaced by Wade Redden. ALL STAR DEFENSMEN maybe best years past but still one of the leagues elite. Solid signing at 6.5 judging what other defensmen got the past 2 free agent periods. B+ Grade The other 2 replacements will more then likely be From within up for grabs among the Likes of Bobby Sanguantti/Thomas Pock/Michale Sauer/Andrew Hutchinson No Grade yet.

Tyutin is gone replaced by Dmitri Kalinin were lossing 3 years in age here but the Offensive upside of Kalinin and more NHL expierence will help this club now more then Tyutin. Although i rather had Orpik im ok with this signing. B+ Grade

Avery gone after 1.5 seasons was great when he played but often injured this is the Rangers bigest key loss on the ice but at the same time some respectabilty will be back in the locker room. will be replaced more then likely by agitating scorer Andreas Jamtin signed from sweeden. No Grade yet.

Straka gone and back to his homeland as expected he was pure class to the Rangers wish him all the luck will be replaced by any of the following listed below. Again no grade yet.

Signed
Aaron Voros LW
Pat Rissmiller RW

Traded for
Dan Fritsche C/W drafted 46th overall in 2003 only 22 also showed a good offensive upside on a poor Blue Jackets team. I expect him to be a pleasent suprise. who he pairs with i have no idea.

And last but not least lets not forget some of our farm who will get a good look.
Corey Potter D
Artem Anisimov C
Hugh Jessiman RW
Greg Moore RW
Lauri Korpikoski LW
Alexi Cheraponov (said will be in Training camp but no word on contract due to russian league option on final year of contract.)
Andrew Hutchinson D
Michale Sauer D
Thomas Pock D
Bobby Sanguinetti D

For what it all came down to that looked like total doomsday for the Rangers lossing Avery, Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Mara i have to hand it to Sather he did a remarkable job and that being with a cap and not moving pieces of the Farm system. for this he deserves an A+

My final opinion i see next seasons Rangers team playing a more team game and not one thats so much for individual play. with that said im excited and like our chances better.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Anytime a team goes through a major overhaul the way the Rangers did, the jury is up as we don't know how well those players will mesh together. I think that the Blue Shirts spent a whole lot of money on mid-grade players but as the Habs proved last year, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It will all depend on the egos in the dressing room and if they can build some chemistry.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anytime a team goes through a major overhaul the way the Rangers did, the jury is up as we don't know how well those players will mesh together. I think that the Blue Shirts spent a whole lot of money on mid-grade players but as the Habs proved last year, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It will all depend on the egos in the dressing room and if they can build some chemistry.

JL you have some points about meshing the thing is the FA's he signed wanted to be here i do think Redden and Naslund could have fetched more elsewhere. As for the trades i think sather did what he had to. It always depends in any deal for any team egos and so fourth when getting new players and with that its coaching that brings that chemistry together. Not like past Rangers teams pre-lockout they acctually have a decent coach making the playoffs 3 years in a row now and keeping pretty much there entire farm system together till there ready for NHL action.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
JL you have some points about meshing the thing is the FA's he signed wanted to be here i do think Redden and Naslund could have fetched more elsewhere. As for the trades i think sather did what he had to. It always depends in any deal for any team egos and so fourth when getting new players and with that its coaching that brings that chemistry together. Not like past Rangers teams pre-lockout they acctually have a decent coach making the playoffs 3 years in a row now and keeping pretty much there entire farm system together till there ready for NHL action.
You may very well be right. The chemistry is also on the ice though. With the moves they've made so far, I think that the Rangers will be fighting with teams like Washington, Tampa Bay and Philly for a playoffs' position, as they'll be hard pressed to catch the Devils and Pens in my humble opinion. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time, just ask my wife!

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Seems as if Sather is carring on just like before the lock out.

He keeps on buying and changing in an attempt all be it ill fated to build a winner.

He just doesn't get it and hasn't learned from past mistakes when it comes to team chemistry and inflated egos.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems as if Sather is carring on just like before the lock out.

He keeps on buying and changing in an attempt all be it ill fated to build a winner.

He just doesn't get it and hasn't learned from past mistakes when it comes to team chemistry and inflated egos.
Jagr and Avery had inflated egos. They are both gone.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing with a lot of these signings these players take a lot less penalties then the ones past Rangers from last year had. just thought i add that in for thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that taking Jagr out of the line up is going to significantly and positively effect the style of game that the Rangers play. Jagr played a puck posession game. I am looking for players like Gomez, and to a lesser extent Dubinsky, to really control the pace of the game coming out of the Rangers end.

P.S. The rangers re-signed Mara

·
Registered
212 Posts
A major difference I see in the way Sather works now as opposed to before the lockout is that the Rangers actually have talent in the system. Before the lockout there was no Brandon Dubinksky, no Marc Staal, no Nigel Dawes. There wasn't a system in place, there was no structure and no consistency. Now the Rangers have young talent which is slowly being worked in (and will hopefully be kept). There is consistency with the same coach for the past three years combined with a winning atmosphere which does wonders for a club. Finally the free agents being signed aren't 40 year old has beens. Redden is 31, Gomez 29, Drury 32. The oldest signee is Naslund, who at 35 IMO is a stopgap for two years.

Any Ranger fan is lying if they tell you straight up that we are a more talented or better team next year for getting rid of a large portion of our offense. In the long run, maybe it works, but the Rangers are gambling the present for possibly future success, which might not even come. Ultimately though this needed to be done, the Rangers could not rely on Jagr, Shanny, Straka, etc forever, they needed to move on and with the way the organization is built right now, I am for the first time since the early 90s optimistic as a Ranger fan. I think that is as good as any reason to think that this team has improved.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
One thing that concerns me is that Naslund is on his way out. No one has gotten as much as they should out of Zherdev. Maybe he's lazy, who knows, but he's a question mark. He's not producing at the level he should be.

Avery is gone. He may have had an ego, but the numbers are clear about how the team won/lost with him in the line up compared to when he was out of the line up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
One thing that concerns me is that Naslund is on his way out. No one has gotten as much as they should out of Zherdev. Maybe he's lazy, who knows, but he's a question mark. He's not producing at the level he should be.

Avery is gone. He may have had an ego, but the numbers are clear about how the team won/lost with him in the line up compared to when he was out of the line up.
Those are valid concerns, some which I hold myself. Sather decided that these Avery was not worth 4 mil over 4 years and that the Jagr era needed to end. I loved Avery here, any Ranger fan who tells you otherwise is probably not really a Ranger fan. In reality though, it was a lose-lose situation for Sather. Either sign him and get handcuffed with a four year deal on a possible cancer (especially without Shanny on the team) or don't sign him and risk trying to win without him.

Having said that, I see Sather's train of thought as hope that these "projects" work out. Naslund only needs to somewhat regain form playing on the Rangers and only for two years. This isn't a long-term contract, as such you only need to hope that he has one more good year in him. Zherdev on the other hand, as far as I know, was improving towards the end of his Columbus campaign, only reverting to his old self when the team traded away Foote and Federov and basically gave up on the season. Personally, I feel its obvious that he has the talent, he just needs someone to be able to push the right buttons and I think Renney and his coaching staff can do that. If he finds the talent and uses it correctly, then we re-sign him long term, if not since he is a RFA we re-sign him to a shorter term contract or trade him away.

This season relies on many ifs. If Naslund/Redden can regain form, if Zherdev develops further, if Lundqvist continues to improve to be more consistent, and finally if the offense can improve despite losing a hefty amount of goals. If all these come true, this team is better, if not then obviously its not. We will only find out after the season starts of course.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts

This season relies on many ifs. If Naslund/Redden can regain form, if Zherdev develops further, if Lundqvist continues to improve to be more consistent, and finally if the offense can improve despite losing a hefty amount of goals. If all these come true, this team is better, if not then obviously its not. We will only find out after the season starts of course.
This is why I expect the Rangers to struggle. I think they can make the playoffs, but I don't see them finishing higher than 5th in the conference. The Rangers have signed a couple guys who are expected to contribute who "need to regain form." If they don't, things could get ugly in New York in a hurry. Lundqvist should have a good year and their younger players who were coming on last year should be a help, but there are some very evident gambles on the table this year for them as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
better or worse so far

I actually like the new look New York Rangers.
Redden & Naslund needed a change in scenery.
Fritsche & Rismiller will add speed & youth.
Zherdev will fit well with Gomez or Drury.
Lundqvist will give them a chance every night.

The `08 Rangers will be younger and faster!

With Jagr, Straka and Shanny gone, no biggie!
But losing Sean Avery, that`s a big mistake!

I give the Rangers a B+

1 - 13 of 13 Posts