Hockey Fan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Whom do you think is the best player to ever exist in the NHL besides Gretzky?

A. Mario Lemieux
B. Gordie Howe
C. Bobby Orr
D. Bobby Clarke
E. Howie Morenz (Never saw him play but I've heard he was a great player.)
F. Stan Mikita
G. Mark Messier
H. Maurice Richard
I. Bobby Hull
J. Other

My pick: Mark Messier. He was a great leader on Edmonton and the Rangers. He was possibly the best leader ever. The Rangers were not at all good until he came and led them to a cup. Once he went to Vancouver he became washed up but still I think he is the best player ever. Besides him it's Mr. Hockey who was an all around player.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Voting

LiAmTrAnSdEmOn said:
And I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows the reason that you think that.
So what i live in detroit, what was your reason for voting for bobby orr do you live in boston. i have the right to my own opinion just like you do.:twocentsi

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LiAmTrAnSdEmOn said:
Based on a horribly biased Detriot, old-timer's opinion.

My vote goes to Bobby Orr.
Gordie was a pretty good all around hockey player. He was big, had speed, could score, assist, and fight. I have never seen such an all around player as him. Gretzky sure could score and assist but not fight and hit like Gordie. OLYMPIA STADIUM's choice is a good one. Gordie was a great player, but I think Messier was better because he led teams so well and make crappy players play better with his demanding personality. Bobby Orr was okay, Liam, but I don't think as good as Howe or Messier. Orr was the best defensemen of all time, had offense, could assist, fight, and hit but wasn't a leader like Messier or Howe. Messier had no team at all on NY and Howe then on Detroit had no team except with Ted Lindsay and Frank Mohavlich who was traded. Orr had Hodge, Bucyk, and Esposito. Orr is also a good choice. My point being is Olympia Stadium's choice is a good one and not biased.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Masterofhockeyknowledge said:
Messier had no team at all on NY.
Messier was my pick but how can you say he had no team in N.Y can you please provide some proof of this. :haha:

Here is some of the roster of Key players and stars that were on the 1993-94 team.

if this isnt a good team then i dont know what is.

Messier
zubov
leetch
graves
Larmer
Kovalev
Tikkanen
Nemchinov
Lowe
Beukeboom
Richter

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Bobby Clarke the best two way player the game has ever seen.!Add to that his leadership and do what ever it takes to win attitude along with his face off abilities and your hard pressed to find as complete of player.

If all players played with his passion and will to win hockey would be the most popular sport south of the border also bar none.!!

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phish4 said:
Patrick Roy
Yes, Patrick Roy certainly was a great goalie but this thread is based on players, not goalies. Patrick Roy could be known as one of the best goalies however.

By the way, I'm suprised no one has chosen Mario Lemieux yet. If Bobby Orr did not get a knee injury he would be close to Gretzky's statistics but not beat them. Orr's highest in points a year was 139 or 146. I can't remember which one, but Gretzky's got more than 150 points six or seven different seasons.

And, Krypt, that was a mistake, yes Messier did have a team in NY back in 1993-1994 but they weren't that good without him until he came. They did make the playoffs without him, but when he came he motivated them to the Cup, defeating a drought the Rangers had.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Phish4 said:
OK, but by that logic you should throw out Orr, because he didn't play as a foward.

The thread does say Best player to ever exist in the NHL, besides Gretzky. it doesnt say goalies not to be included. dont know what he is talking about. but phish does have an argument here. Roy was the greatest at his position and some could also view him as one of the great ones.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts