Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of these are priceless looking back:

plan the parade toronto. you got lupul, who will be placed on waivers, then you got gardiner-who will never make it in the nhl, and then you got a fourth round draft pick, that will traded(cause he trades your future away-always) for a fourth line hiden gem, he thinks is a top six forward.

-----------------------------

Watching the Leafs miss the playoffs year after year will never get old. Brian Burke is the worst GM in the history of the NHL. All he does is take other teams rejects.

This smacks of the old leafs when they let Larry Murphy go because he to was 'washed up'. The Lupul contract is embarrassing long and very expensive, so advantage Ducks on this one. For Burke to win, he has to hope an American high school hockey star, or a fourth rounder eventually becomes a regular NHLer which, judging from historical records, is a long shot.

Hey Anaheim just send your junk to Toronto, Burkie will take it. Hey Boston just send your first round draft pick to Toronto for Kaberle, Burkie will do it, Hey 28 remaining teams in the NHL, it's possum season and Burkie and the Laffs will be in your sights.

It just goes on and on and on... It's awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
To be fair, who was supposed to go off the board and say that Lupul would score WAY more points per game than he ever had previously, let alone stay healthy?

There's somebody out there that bought a lucky lottery ticket, but it still wasn't an ideal bet. Nice for the Leafs, though, that's for sure.

Daryl

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm happy for Lupul to have comeback. Its all the people who would say that Lupul was a 4th liner at best, and Gardiner had no shot of making the NHL.

Burke knew both guys well, and apparently had some idea what he was doing. Was it a risk, yes but he obviously had some idea that there was more upside than what other people saw.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Honestly i can't say enough about this trade. From the start I thought Gardiner for Beachemin itself would be a decent trade but then we got Lupul who i always thought never got a fair shot anywhere.
Especially with watching how he played in Jr. At times in Jr. he would completely take over the game and no one could take the puck from him and i thought if he could regain even 1/5 of that ability with the Leafs this trade would be a steal. 20+ games in and he seems to have just regained all of his form from Jr. Then again the season is not 20 games but with how he is playing now I feel happy for the guy.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I'm happy for Lupul to have comeback. Its all the people who would say that Lupul was a 4th liner at best, and Gardiner had no shot of making the NHL.

Burke knew both guys well, and apparently had some idea what he was doing. Was it a risk, yes but he obviously had some idea that there was more upside than what other people saw.
Oh for sure, I get exactly where you're coming from. As GM, when you take the risks, you should accept both the victories and defeats of your situation. As of right now, Lupul is absolutely a win for Burke.

I would never wish to take that from him.

Daryl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts