Hockey Fan Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need new skates.

A little history: In the 90s I was a CCM Tacks guy. Then I seem to remember that in the early 2000s that either CCM went away or tacks went away temporarily I needed new skates around then. I tried everything but nothing fit. Vapors, Supremes, Graf, etc. I have a relatively wide forefoot, and a narrow heel. So what would happen is that to get a skate that my forefoot would fit into-my heel was swimming around. To get a skate that fit my heel properly-the toe area was too tight.

The only skates that fit well were Bauer Flexlite Pro 4.0s. I think they might have actually been a rebranded Nike skate, but I’m not sure. They fit so well that I bought two pairs. This was sometime around 2010. So I haven’t been to a new skate shop in around 12 years.

Before I go to the skate shops and try on every type/brand of skate. I thought maybe there are others out there that liked the fit of Flexlites who have recently bought new skates. If so-what new brand/model fit you now?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
44 Posts
Hi, Aspen71; welcome to the site! I hope you get a chance to look around at some of the other forums. And I hope other posters chime in on what they're liking now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Aspen71; welcome to the site! I hope you get a chance to look around at some of the other forums. And I hope other posters chime in on what they're liking now.
Hi!
I am new to this site so don't hesitate to tell where I should put this post!
So, here is my little story. It's about my old pair of Daoust 301 National with Tuuk Plus skate holders.

Since the start of the pandemic, I got back again on outdoor skating rink to play hockey with some of the youth of the neighborhood and it has been so great to get all this cold air and bright sun. A real miracle on my humor! On this on my old Daoust 301 skates.
At the end of this year however, on of the skate holder broke. (A tuuk plus, not tuuk custom plus).

In the stores and on internet, the only model that had the equivalent of size 12 US (shoe size) was CCM FT2, which I got half-price, still 600$CAN! Wow, the skates of many great NHL players!... Turns out it's really stiff compared to my old Daoust and even worst: it's so thin that my feet get cold very fast outdoor (I play at outdoor temperature between -15 and 0C typically). This is comprehensible because they want to make the skate lighter, thinner and faster, and stiff enough for Connor McDavid!

But I would rather get my old comfortable skates, very good to play at an equivalent Bantam level for me. (I am 55)

So my question is: how could I obtain such Tuuk Plus holders to repair my skates? It is much less common than 'Tuuk custom plus' holders on ebay for example. Could I put another type of holder in them? Like the Tuuk Custom plus?
Thank you in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

·
Administrator
44 Posts
Hello, Christian, and welcome!

This is the right place to post your question. If someone else has some concrete ideas, I hope they respond.

I did a quick Web search. Some options that come to mind would be kijiji (if the seller is not in your province they might ship to you) or ebay. I also came across a place on-line called Sideline Swap that offers parts and even sometimes used skates that might be inexpensive enough to supply some holders even if you don't use the rest of the skate. I'm not sure about the wisdom of buying used holders, but sometimes that's the only economically feasible option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, Christian, and welcome!

This is the right place to post your question. If someone else has some concrete ideas, I hope they respond.

I did a quick Web search. Some options that come to mind would be kijiji (if the seller is not in your province they might ship to you) or ebay. I also came across a place on-line called Sideline Swap that offers parts and even sometimes used skates that might be inexpensive enough to supply some holders even if you don't use the rest of the skate. I'm not sure about the wisdom of buying used holders, but sometimes that's the only economically feasible option.
Hi Steve!
Thank you so much for the Sideline Swap hint!
I found a seller based in Texas that had new Tuuk Custom Plus holders, size 11 (with the '296' mark on the holder). So I took a chance even if it's not exactly the same as Tuuk Plus.
Christian
Sports gear Sports equipment Ice hockey equipment Hockey Tree

·
Administrator
44 Posts
I've repurposed many an old thing. Not the first time I bought something used to serve as a source of parts! Please let me know if they work for your skates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts