Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the civic holiday in Canada, the 48 hour rule doesn't apply and the arbitration ruling could be delayed to tomorrow. I'm anxious to find out the result, because FWIW the rumor sites are saying that a lot of activity is in a holding pattern waiting for this decision.

What do you guys think he's worth? I'd have no problems paying him Dustin Penner money (sidenote: Penner is a fine young player, but it's troubling that "Dustin Penner money" is a part of our lexicon now). I'm expecting the arbitrator to come back with a number in the ballpark of $4 million. If the Kings have a problem with that I wouldn't mind seeing the Leafs make a pitch for him... apparently L.A. has some interest in Raycroft, so maybe JFJ could build on that to make a package they might bite at.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If they can get cammaleri for under 4 thats a bargain. I think though that any arbitrator will take into consideration the Dustin Penner situation and base their decision on that.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought arbitration only designates the player for a 1 year contact.
Arbitration can be for one or two years, the Kings opted for 2.

The catch is this: the team can walk away from one year rulings, but on 2 year rulings they must accept at least the first year, and can only walk away from year 2.

Eklund is saying that he's heard 2 years at 3.1 and 3.6. So $3.35 per year against the cap... that's a bargain if true.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think though that any arbitrator will take into consideration the Dustin Penner situation and base their decision on that.
I don't think so, Lowe had to purposely overpay Penner to ensure that Burke wouldn't match the amount.

But if it's true, good toast for the Kings. Anyone know where LA is sitting with the cap?

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
I don't think so, Lowe had to purposely overpay Penner to ensure that Burke wouldn't match the amount.

But if it's true, good toast for the Kings. Anyone know where LA is sitting with the cap?
can't imagine its too high, they made only minor signings all summer.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know where LA is sitting with the cap?
$42.699

For future reference, nhlnumbers.com is great for player salaries.

can't imagine its too high, they made only minor signings all summer.
Handzus ($4 mil), Nagy ($3.75 mil), Stuart ($3.5 mil), Calder ($2.75 mil), Preissing ($2.75 mil). I'd say that's a pretty significant bunch of signings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Due to the civic holiday in Canada, the 48 hour rule doesn't apply and the arbitration ruling could be delayed to tomorrow. I'm anxious to find out the result, because FWIW the rumor sites are saying that a lot of activity is in a holding pattern waiting for this decision.

What do you guys think he's worth? I'd have no problems paying him Dustin Penner money (sidenote: Penner is a fine young player, but it's troubling that "Dustin Penner money" is a part of our lexicon now). I'm expecting the arbitrator to come back with a number in the ballpark of $4 million. If the Kings have a problem with that I wouldn't mind seeing the Leafs make a pitch for him... apparently L.A. has some interest in Raycroft, so maybe JFJ could build on that to make a package they might bite at.
Are we supposed to be saying things like "LA has some interest in Raycroft" without a link.....a valid non Eklund link?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are we supposed to be saying things like "LA has some interest in Raycroft" without a link.....a valid non Eklund link?
You misquote me, I said that "apparently LA has some interest in Raycroft", and that one word does make a big difference. Anyway, that's just what the rumor sites are saying ... whether or not you choose to believe is up to you.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
they also report that LA will not walk away from this ruling. Looks like he's staying in LA for at least another year.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
they also report that LA will not walk away from this ruling. Looks like he's staying in LA for at least another year.
I dont think you can walk away from a 2 year arbitration ruling, can you? I think you can drop the second year, but you're on the hook for at least the first year.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont think you can walk away from a 2 year arbitration ruling, can you? I think you can drop the second year, but you're on the hook for at least the first year.
You are correct sir.

Anyway, this low ruling really dashes any hopes of him being available. He's such a bargain that the Kings would be insane to ship him out unless they get a "knock your socks off" kind of offer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts