Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, all this means is that he can talk with other teams, I think. We are still able to talk to him, if we haven't pissed him off so much that he won't negotiate with us.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So This means Svats is no more for the Aves? It's past Midnight now and No news. :censure: :censure: :censure:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ouch, half a mil? Yeah. I think the Avs might have shot themselves on this one. I think a mil is a safe point. Hard to believe he is a one hit wonder, but in the days of cap, you have to be sure what your signing. I say, one year deal, 1 mil. After this season then give him the raise that he wants.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think by now, no news is good news for Avs fans. Svatos could've easily run off to a bottom feeder team and arranged a $2.5 million contract with low draft picks for compensation. The fact that we haven't heard anything yet just means that management and him are committed to working out a new, hopefully higher and longer, contract. I also think this period of silence means Brett McLean isn't coming back, which is a mistake IMO, has he did a great job centering and setting up Konowalchuk/Laaksonen/Laperriere.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well, for Avs sake, you better hope the GM works out something....why am I sensing another "whats up with our GM" thread......

Obviously some room is going to have to be made to free up some cap space to get the roster to size. What is the current players to salary right now? I heard 5.2 left of cap space, but not sure what the cap is at.

You know, Detroit would be happen to take him off your hands.....

Ok, could resist. Do the avs own his rights? What about a possible trade that would get something back instead of losing him for draft compensation?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah, I believe we have somewhere around 5 mil left at the moment, which is perfect to resign both Svats and Mclean, and still have room left to resign a lowish profile free agent (hey, low profile players have been good for us, look at what lappy did last year).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Phish4 said:
I think by now, no news is good news for Avs fans. Svatos could've easily run off to a bottom feeder team and arranged a $2.5 million contract with low draft picks for compensation. The fact that we haven't heard anything yet just means that management and him are committed to working out a new, hopefully higher and longer, contract. I also think this period of silence means Brett McLean isn't coming back, which is a mistake IMO, has he did a great job centering and setting up Konowalchuk/Laaksonen/Laperriere.
McLean is decent (and as I recall he was our best faceoff man), but I don't think it would kill us to lose him.

If the Avs management has any brains, they'll re-sign Svatos. I mean come on, this guy is the real deal. Until he got injured (which is my only concern with him), he was keeping up with top rookies Ovechkin and Crosby, and while he was playing with the better team, he also logged a heck of a lot less in ice time. Heck, he led our team in goals scored before his injury. For a rookie on a team with the likes of Sakic, Tanguay and the like, that's amazing. I can't believe that he was such a late draft selection. This guy is Tanguay level, and isn't even near his prime yet. Last season was officially his rookie season. This guy will be white hot. He has speed, and a real nose for the net. He has a quick, accurate, deadly shot. Remember what he did to Dallas in Game 4 of the 2003-2004 quarterfinals in double OT? And he has barely played in the NHL at all.
If the Avs are only offering him about $500,000, then pardon me but they need to take their heads out of their butts and give him what he deserves, which is a lot more than that. He's worth at least $1 million a year. And if I were the Avs, I'd try to sign him to as many years as possible. They'd be insane to pass him up.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Jeikobu said:
McLean is decent (and as I recall he was our best faceoff man), but I don't think it would kill us to lose him.

If the Avs management has any brains, they'll re-sign Svatos. I mean come on, this guy is the real deal. Until he got injured (which is my only concern with him), he was keeping up with top rookies Ovechkin and Crosby, and while he was playing with the better team, he also logged a heck of a lot less in ice time. Heck, he led our team in goals scored before his injury. For a rookie on a team with the likes of Sakic, Tanguay and the like, that's amazing. I can't believe that he was such a late draft selection. This guy is Tanguay level, and isn't even near his prime yet. Last season was officially his rookie season. This guy will be white hot. He has speed, and a real nose for the net. He has a quick, accurate, deadly shot. Remember what he did to Dallas in Game 4 of the 2003-2004 quarterfinals in double OT? And he has barely played in the NHL at all.
If the Avs are only offering him about $500,000, then pardon me but they need to take their heads out of their butts and give him what he deserves, which is a lot more than that. He's worth at least $1 million a year. And if I were the Avs, I'd try to sign him to as many years as possible. They'd be insane to pass him up.
Svatos never had any major numbers in the AHL, or prior to the NHL draft. That's why he went so late.

But I agree, he is one of the top prospects in the NHL, especially since it took our best player 15 games to catch up with him in goals.

I'll be very sad if we don't sign him.:frown:

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's strange that he'd post mediocre numbers in the minors, but then explode in the NHL. :-/ But all that matters is that he keeps playing well for the Avs...if they re-sign him. ><

·
Registered
472 Posts
Svatos is a "right guy in the right place" type of player and without a slick passing center like Turgeon or Sakic he's a mediocre player. That's why the two sides have yet to come to terms. I still think $750,000 tops with maybe a bonus for 50 goals or something like that.

Don't forget he hasn't proved he can last a full season in the NHL.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
cruiser said:
Svatos is a "right guy in the right place" type of player and without a slick passing center like Turgeon or Sakic he's a mediocre player. That's why the two sides have yet to come to terms. I still think $750,000 tops with maybe a bonus for 50 goals or something like that.

Don't forget he hasn't proved he can last a full season in the NHL.
Good point you old, old, old, old, old timer, but remember that Svatos led the Avs in goals up until the very last game -- three months after he was injured, and eight of those were game-winning goals. I'm sure that a team like Pittsburgh or LA could throw three times as much money at Svatos as the Avs, which is why they shouldn't lowball him with 500 grand. If Svatos returns it stands to reason he'll be just as important as he was last season. I say a million at most; if he walks then we shed a few tears and find out how good Rycroft and Steeves are...but don't forget, his first hat trick was against the guy who won the Veniza.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
We Need to sign this guy... He is a good goal scorer... He could put up some big numbers... We shuold bay him around 1 mil. And Get Maclean and Skarstins for something... We Need all of them! GOO AVS!:git:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts