1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/col060714.html

Avs having trouble signing Svatos
TheFourthPeriod.com

According to the Denver Post, negotiations are not going well between the Avalanche and restricted free agent winger Marek Svatos.
"We're at a point where it's tough to say where it goes from here," Svatos' agent Rich Evans told the Post. "(Talks) could have gone better; otherwise, we'd have a deal by now."

Svatos, 24, earned $450,000 (league minimum) last season and was tendered a qualifying offer of $495,000 by the Avs to retain his rights. He opted against filing for arbitration.

The Avalanche have approximately $5.2 million left to play with until the hit the $44 million salary cap.

"We would hope to be speaking," Evans said. "If the team has cap issues affecting signing a guy like Marek, we would hope they would resolve their cap issues."

·
Registered
472 Posts
League minimum for a guy who was leading goal getter for much of the season? I think the Avs could toss him maybe $750,000 seeing as how he can put the puck in the net but seems a little fragile. If I were Svatos I'd be hitting the weight room big time.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wojtek Wolski - $984,200

Um, based on that figure, Svatos should be getting around 1 million, if not more. We really, really need to try harder with Svats, or things are get more grim around colorado come regular season.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The Denver Post also said the Avs weren't trying to re-sign Skrastins. Oops.

However, the Avs organization seriously lowballed Svatos on this one. Half a million for a guy who lead the team in goals dispite only playing half a season? Obviously it's not wise to put a large amount of money on the table for a guy who can be injury prone, may be a one-hit wonder, and doesn't play defense, but there's plenty of cap space and the Avs could shell out at least $1 million, which I think is fair (but I don't think management would go for, sadly). As an armchair GM I might even offer him as much as $1.5 (there's enough cap space to do that, sign McLean, and have a good chunk of cash left), but he's fooling himself if he thinks one season should make his salary somewhere near Hejduk's or Konowalchuk's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's ridiculous to give him that low. Does anyone know why Wojtek is getting so much when he pratically hasn't done anything so far? Really, it sucks. We need Svatos so much.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
The avalanche must think Svatos is a chump. He got 18 assists and 32 goals this past season. I mean come on Colorado pay the guy some decent money. He is the future in colorado.

If the avs dont sign this guy it will be chaos:haha:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
He probably would've been a finalist for the Calder if not he had been injured, or at least put a good dent in the nomination list. Give him what he deserves!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah really. I figure that the only reason Ovechk and Crosby were so much more thought of is this. They were both 1st overals. I believe Svats was either 227 or 277. I think 227. But anyways, I believe the only reason that they did so much better is first of all of course, the fact that Svats missed 21 games. But also, I was doing my research today. Alex averaged ten minutes more minutes per game than Marek. Ten minutes. Crosby, about 7. That is crazy, and I think that if Marek got that much ice time and played a full season, he would've been fully capable of an above 82 point season or even a 100 point one. I believe this so much. Svatos was just on a far more capable team than either Washington or Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adama0905 said:
It's ridiculous to give him that low. Does anyone know why Wojtek is getting so much when he pratically hasn't done anything so far? Really, it sucks. We need Svatos so much.
Wolski is getting that much because he was a 1st round pick, and I think that ($984,200) is the max amount rookies can get. Svatos was a real low draft pick (Like 9th round, a monster steal) and low picks dont get that big 1st round green.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If Giguere is trying to pay minimum salary for Svats, then I'm proud of Svatos for not accepting. However, on the other hand I'm praying that Svatos will agree to some terms with Giguere. I think Svatos is worth at least $900,000 and if he doesn't get injured, and he plays just as well for a whole season, then bump-up the price.

·
Registered
211 Posts
eternal_flames said:
Wolski is getting that much because he was a 1st round pick, and I think that ($984,200) is the max amount rookies can get. Svatos was a real low draft pick (Like 9th round, a monster steal) and low picks dont get that big 1st round green.

What kind of compensation would need to be paid if someone stole him by signing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Svats has proved that he is worth at least 1 million and if the Avs organization cant see that then they need to pull their heads out of somewhere. Seriously its ridiculus treatment for a player who had some many points in a short season. The Avs will be ok without him but he is a big piece to their puzzle and they better get to signing him right away.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Svats is no longer with the Aves? :frown: :censure: :censure: :censure: Why didn't they just pay him the money? Why? :censure:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts