• NO

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I have to admit, that is true about Tucker. He could/should have perhaps gotten something for having his stick in Avery's face. I'm surprised he got away with it.

And my response was mainly to this.

Any player speaking in a racial way or even on illness of another player is lower then the possible low one could trash talk on.

In any event i dont think Avery said such nonsense. So its pretty much a dead issue now until the court listens to both the Avery party & the radio station making the claim he said what he did.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Chris_1968 said:
Its always an unnamed source in any events regarding news believe me i do know this. But what makes it believable (even if not true) is that its Avery is someone who is known for his mouth so any kind of gossip made public will be looked upon as truth as in Avery's case. If you really want people to believe it then come fourth provide a name. I stand firmly on that beliefe. The fact the reporter provides air time to one of the worst rumor makers in the NHL named eklund really puts any words coming out in Avery's dealings on Saturday in doubt. And furthermore if Avery in fact said these words there is no way he would put a libel suit against the radio station.

As for Tucker putting a stick blade up near Avery's face doesn't show me he has improved his ways at all.
I don't know if you ever listen to Berger's show, but he rarely if ever speaks about rumours. Its usually just reporting on Leafs practice.

About as much link as I have seen on his link to Eklund is he writes a blog on Hockey buzz. And the only rumour he has spoken of of late, is talk that the Leafs board discussed the possibility of asking Sundin wave his NTC. It was the next day that Eklund picked up on after Berger reported it. Although Berger meant it as closer to the trade deadline.

Anyway, if Berger isn't a valid journalist because he Blogs on HockeyBuzz then neither is Tim Panaccio or Darren Pang.

·
Registered
949 Posts
the issue of players talking 'smack' will never go away; its a consequence of competition. but professional sports people are in a position of influence due to their high profile level of publicity.

just as people in the crowd aren't permitted to yell out expletives, swears, racism or outright hurtfully offensive things such as regarding a cancer patient, nor can players, due to the upset and influence such negative acts can cause to those easily influenced.

otherwise, this is the acceptable terms by whihc our sport is portrayed and perceived. we should hope for better no?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Avery did cross the line in this case. Bringing up someone's cancer is low. He deserves no respect for this. It is not Blake's fault he has cancer, so Avery had no right to say anything about it. This is not something to joke about. I hope the NHL does something about this.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Joe Micheletti said on the Ranger telecast tonight that he called Jason Blake today to ask him if Avery said anything about his illness. Micheletti said that Blake said that he heard nothing from Avery about it. Micheletti used to be the Islanders announcer and knows Blake very well.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
LightningGal said:
Avery did cross the line in this case. Bringing up someone's cancer is low. He deserves no respect for this. It is not Blake's fault he has cancer, so Avery had no right to say anything about it. This is not something to joke about. I hope the NHL does something about this.

Blake stated it was never said. Avery is a supporter of cancer groups and research. Read the news more. :cheeky4:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
If your into hockey at all, you know what Avery is about. This isn't the first time Avery has done this stuff in the warm up (trying to get the other team off their game), so why all the hub bub now?

To me, this whole mess with Avery, and now Tlusty, are all antics to take the attention away from the players and the way their playing right now, nothing more than that.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
panoo said:
If your into hockey at all, you know what Avery is about. This isn't the first time Avery has done this stuff in the warm up (trying to get the other team off their game), so why all the hub bub now?

To me, this whole mess with Avery, and now Tlusty, are all antics to take the attention away from the players and the way their playing right now, nothing more than that.

Im not denying what Avery is all about. What im hub bub over is the radio personality who made the false accusation.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
Im not denying what Avery is all about. What im hub bub over is the radio personality who made the false accusation.
Yes I know, he should have kept his mouth shut.

He also said that the Ranger player who told him about it doesn't even like Avery, so there you go.

Looks like he'll have a date in court. :D

21 - 29 of 29 Posts