Votes: 6 54.5%
  • NO

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
If he went as far as to razing about Blakes cancer somthing should be done. If you make fun of Blake for having cancer there is somthing seriously wrong in your head. If this is actually the case I have lost all respect Ive ever had for this guy. I love the way he gets under peoples skin and the way he plays but somthing as serious as razing about somebody elses cancer is too far

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
I love Wade Belak, but he has to be careful about what he says in the open. Its ok to think it, but to actually say it to the press is foolish. I hope for his sake, he doesnt have a run in with the superpesk.

Belak rejects the notion making the rounds that there is no difference between Tucker and Avery.

"Darcy's an agitator but he doesn't say the type of personal stuff about your family that Avery does," Belak said. "It's ridiculous. If (Avery) ever starts chirping about my family like that, he'll get a stick over the head."
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Hockey NHL - Toronto - Someone will 'kill' Avery

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amoroq said:
I voted no, because something needs to be done to get Blake going. I also voted no because even though Avery is a piece of shit who I'd want on my team. I just can't see him stooping so low to bring up the cancer.
The story was according to Howard Berger who says: (probably paraphrasd because I can't remember the exact words)

"I spoke with a player on the Rangers -not the Maple Leafs- one of Avery's teammates who wanted to strangle him for what he did. He started mocking Blake in regards to the cancer. When I asked Blake about the incident he gave me a look to the effect of yes its true, and no I won't comment on it."

I heard it on Hockey Central at noon today.

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
TylerDCA said:
The story was according to Howard Berger who says: (probably paraphrasd because I can't remember the exact words)

"I spoke with a player on the Rangers -not the Maple Leafs- one of Avery's teammates who wanted to strangle him for what he did. He started mocking Blake in regards to the cancer. When I asked Blake about the incident he gave me a look to the effect of yes its true, and no I won't comment on it."

I heard it on Hockey Central at noon today.
Well this changes things then. My vote gets changed to Yes he crossed a line and the NHL should investigate this.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i can appreciate the use of a sh*t stirrer who can get under the skin of others and draw penalties and get people riled.

but there is a time and a place for this sort of thing and the scenes before the game do much to bring the sport into disrepute. (as per the good old, 'i went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out' kinda gag)

taking the piss over cancer is a pretty harsh thing, where you'd be tough to say there is ever an okay time or place.... but despite the dreaded 'c' word, Blake is gonna be alright isn't he?

in which case, it really does come down to the exact words that were said (IMO)

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Amoroq said:
Well this changes things then. My vote gets changed to Yes he crossed a line and the NHL should investigate this.

The NHL cant get anything right they have more to worry about with cheap hits and sticks before any trash talk. (sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me) It goes on in football all the time with the i slept with your mother and sister stuff comments. Ali did it in boxing was loved for it. It happens best thing to do is ignore it. You do this then avery gets pissed off. Show your emotions then Avery knows he did his job and will thrive on it.

Avery is Avery will always trash talk to the lowest possible content and it will continue till he is out of hockey. You hate him as a player till he on your favorite team then you become one of his cult following.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amoroq said:
You may have got your wish.

TSN : TSN TALENT - Canada's Sports Leader

ean Avery may have fired up himself and his New York Rangers with his pre-game warm-up skirmish in Toronto on Saturday night, but he apparently fired up someone else, too - the NHL.

Sources say Avery will meet with NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell this week to explain his actions.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It brings up the argument over what is worse: words or actions?

If Avery did that it was a pretty low thing to do. But is that worse than smashing someone in the face with your stick?

There have been stories for years that some players have called Donald Brashear the dreaded N word. I've seen the cheap shots that Brashear has given out over the years trying to injure players and there's no chance that I think that calling someone a name is worse than that, no matter what the name is.

If you had a choice of someone calling you a name, making fun of your health or family, or bashing you in the face with a stick which would you choose?

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
Bless_D_Mess said:
It brings up the argument over what is worse: words or actions?

If Avery did that it was a pretty low thing to do. But is that worse than smashing someone in the face with your stick?

There have been stories for years that some players have called Donald Brashear the dreaded N word. I've seen the cheap shots that Brashear has given out over the years trying to injure players and there's no chance that I think that calling someone a name is worse than that, no matter what the name is.

If you had a choice of someone calling you a name, making fun of your health or family, or bashing you in the face with a stick which would you choose?
A choice shouldn't even be an option, both should be gone from the game, period. I don't mind trash talk, when its game related. Michael Jordan was one of the best trash talkers the sportsworld has ever known, but there is a way to do and still be respectful.

I have no problem with Avery saying things during pre-skate like "Keep you head up when I'm on the ice" But to bring up a persons family or a health problem is disrespectful. We in the real world wouldn't stand for it, and just because a person is making millions of dollars per year doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed the same courtesy.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I suspected that was the case. As soon as Blake came in and Avery chirpped something to him, I immediately suspected it was about the cancer (hence, the already riled up Tucker about to lunge at him). He would stoop so low, because that's the kind of person he is, and he doesn't mind letting the whole world know it.

Chris_1968 said:
The NHL cant get anything right they have more to worry about with cheap hits and sticks before any trash talk. (sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me) It goes on in football all the time with the i slept with your mother and sister stuff comments. Ali did it in boxing was loved for it. It happens best thing to do is ignore it. You do this then avery gets pissed off. Show your emotions then Avery knows he did his job and will thrive on it.

Avery is Avery will always trash talk to the lowest possible content and it will continue till he is out of hockey. You hate him as a player till he on your favorite team then you become one of his cult following.
Alright, I just want to clear something up here:

Are you agreeing with what he did?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I suspected that was the case. As soon as Blake came in and Avery chirpped something to him, I immediately suspected it was about the cancer (hence, the already riled up Tucker about to lunge at him). He would stoop so low, because that's the kind of person he is, and he doesn't mind letting the whole world know it.

Alright, I just want to clear something up here:

Are you agreeing with what he did?
How can i agree when there is no proof that he really said it. And if he did say it wouldn't you figure the leafs would start something like a bench clearing brawl. What is funny about all this is that the toronto reporter stated an unnamed rangers player as the source, Be a man and state the player's name who came fourth with the info. The leafs managment hasn't made such claims to Avery's words.

And Avery is preparing to file a libel charge against a Toronto radio personality who made the report yesterday.

Maybe it's tucker being a royale piece of scum. He is no angel also Look at Tucker raising his stick like a weapon in the direction of Avery's face. Maybe the league should review this also. Fact is Avery & Tucker have putrid hate for each other.

YouTube - You can't stop Sean Avery, you can only hope to ignore him.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
AVERY: I WAS LIBELED

source: AVERY: I WAS LIBELED

By LARRY BROOKS
November 13, 2007 -- TORONTO - Sean Avery is preparing to file a libel charge against a Toronto radio personality who reported yesterday that Saturday's pregame skirmish between the Rangers' winger and the Maple Leafs' Darcy Tucker was incited by Avery referring to Jason Blake's cancer condition, The Post has learned.

Advised by his attorney to decline public comment, Avery has privately denied the charge as broadcast by Howard Berger over The Fan 590.

Berger cited an unnamed Rangers player as the original source of the report.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The creditbility of this radio honcho Berger has just gone out the window he is friends with Eklund the biggest untrue rumor maker in hockey today. :laugh:

I hope Avery sue's the living crap out the radio station.

And the poll in this thread is senseless unless there is such proof to back up the actions of Avery's words.

source: Blueshirt Bulletin
Berger claims to have heard about this from an unnamed Ranger player. This guy, for those of you who do not know, was one of the first champions of the fraud Eklund, he continues to give the fraud Eklund a radio platform in Toronto, and his FAN 590 blog appears on the fraud Eklund's site as well
Jagr also makes a good point on the same link.

Jaromir Jagr denied that anyone in the Rangers' dressing room would have ever said anything like that to the Toronto radio reporter who first floated the story and who may have to face legal action by Avery. Jagr also noted that a) Tucker and Blake were equally culpable for the pre-game altercation just for being there -- they had the option to skate away, and b) Tucker was at fault for letting Avery get under his skin and escalating what until then was nothing.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris_1968 said:
Be a man and state the player's name who came fourth with the info. The leafs managment hasn't made such claims to Avery's words.
Wow... That is one of hte most non-sensical arugments I have ever heard. The truth is that if a reporter promises to use someone's quote anonymously then they are not 'being a man' by breaking that. They are being ethical by dealing with the situation themselves, and not dragging their source into it. Welcome to journalism.

Whether it is true or not is another story, but I wouldn't have any trouble believing that a piece of crap like Avery would say something like that.

Tucker was a big shit disturber early in his career, he is a much cleaner player these days, still physical and chippy though.

He isn't in the same rhealm as a idiot like Avery though.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
TylerDCA said:
Wow... That is one of hte most non-sensical arugments I have ever heard. The truth is that if a reporter promises to use someone's quote anonymously then they are not 'being a man' by breaking that. They are being ethical by dealing with the situation themselves, and not dragging their source into it. Welcome to journalism.

Whether it is true or not is another story, but I wouldn't have any trouble believing that a piece of crap like Avery would say something like that.

Tucker was a big shit disturber early in his career, he is a much cleaner player these days, still physical and chippy though.

He isn't in the same rhealm as a idiot like Avery though.

Its always an unnamed source in any events regarding news believe me i do know this. But what makes it believable (even if not true) is that its Avery is someone who is known for his mouth so any kind of gossip made public will be looked upon as truth as in Avery's case. If you really want people to believe it then come fourth provide a name. I stand firmly on that beliefe. The fact the reporter provides air time to one of the worst rumor makers in the NHL named eklund really puts any words coming out in Avery's dealings on Saturday in doubt. And furthermore if Avery in fact said these words there is no way he would put a libel suit against the radio station.

As for Tucker putting a stick blade up near Avery's face doesn't show me he has improved his ways at all.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Fine's handed out to both the Rangers & leafs and players involved.

As for Avery his words after the hearing speak the volumn of the truth. Lets hope when court proceedings are over he will hand over a nice check to cancer research Like he has done in the past. This toronto Reporter should be real ashamed of himself for reporting such BS.

Source: TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader
''I am extremely upset and hurt that false and damaging comments were attributed to me regarding Jason Blake. I made no such comments. I have lost two grandfathers to cancer and have been a consistent contributor to multiple cancer related charities, first and foremost, Hockey Fights Cancer. I am unable to comment further, as the matter is now being addressed by legal counsel.''

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Chris_1968 said:
How can i agree when there is no proof that he really said it. And if he did say it wouldn't you figure the leafs would start something like a bench clearing brawl. What is funny about all this is that the toronto reporter stated an unnamed rangers player as the source, Be a man and state the player's name who came fourth with the info. The leafs managment hasn't made such claims to Avery's words.

And Avery is preparing to file a libel charge against a Toronto radio personality who made the report yesterday.

Maybe it's tucker being a royale piece of scum. He is no angel also Look at Tucker raising his stick like a weapon in the direction of Avery's face. Maybe the league should review this also. Fact is Avery & Tucker have putrid hate for each other.

YouTube - You can't stop Sean Avery, you can only hope to ignore him.
I have to admit, that is true about Tucker. He could/should have perhaps gotten something for having his stick in Avery's face. I'm surprised he got away with it.

And my response was mainly to this.

I was wondering if he did comment on that (which I think or at least thought he did), what your response would be considering what you said there.

Then again, this could go either way. I myself think he would go that far, but of course there can likely never enough proof to make it a legitimate argument.

And no, I would not want him on my team. There are MANY players in the league that I wouldn't want on my team, and he's one of them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts