Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we are in August, and word is that Sid is still having concussion symptoms. It doesn't seem to be preventing him from working out, but still, having symptoms seven months later is not good.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hopefully he can fully recover. He had finally started to pull away as being the best player currently playing and then two unfortunate incidents later he is out for half a year. Any talk about him not being able to return by training camp from the Pens?

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now the word is he'll be here for the start of camp, but what does that really mean. Seems like the symptoms arise when he really cranks up the offseason work. Personal opinion, give him all the time that he needs. Last thing that is needed is that he gets popped with yet another concussion, and who knows when he could, or even if he could return. The Pens are being just as mysterious as ever with the data, so at this point, who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
This isn't good for the Penguins and hockey in general. The sooner he is back, the better. However, I certainly do not want him to rush back and I'm starting to doubt if he would be the same player. Was it ever officially announced which hit gave him the concussion? I remember the hit from Steckel, but he still played through that and then took another hit I think from Hedman, correct? Since it's taking so long I'm thinking he had a concussion during the Winter Classic and tried playing through it. Getting hit in the head while you have a concussion is obviously not good and I know personally that PCS stays there a lot longer when this happens.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
This isn't good for the Penguins and hockey in general. The sooner he is back, the better. However, I certainly do not want him to rush back and I'm starting to doubt if he would be the same player. Was it ever officially announced which hit gave him the concussion? I remember the hit from Steckel, but he still played through that and then took another hit I think from Hedman, correct? Since it's taking so long I'm thinking he had a concussion during the Winter Classic and tried playing through it. Getting hit in the head while you have a concussion is obviously not good and I know personally that PCS stays there a lot longer when this happens.
Don't believe so it was,both were quite brutal to the head.

Its horrible news that he is still experiencing symptoms,however his health comes first,so he should take the amount of time he needs to recover,and then come back. Only when he comes back will we know if he is the same caliber of the player he use to or not.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'm hearing that he's gonna miss training camp and the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. As much as I hate him, with out Crosby, the league wouldn't be as exciting.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well his first presser today, he sounds upbeat about everything, but the doctore sounded scary. "Not really close to introducing contact"? Sounds like months rather than weeks away. Anyway, I hope they DO take their time, as much as some people hate him, he's still one of the best that there is, and he's fun to watch.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
When it comes to concussions what doctors say really doesn't have a whole lot of meaning. He could wake up in 2 days and feel symptom free. He could also have symptoms this entire season. Only Sid will know if he is 100% and ready to go and like so many already have he could lie to himself about it. Fortunately, he seems to be smart about this and is really taking all the time he needs.

·
Registered
949 Posts
true enough that the issue of concussions and recovery from them is far from certain or following a predictable course.

but to me, it sounds more like #87 is closer to retirement than return.

do you really need to convene a press conference to say that all previous statements remain true, that the same course of action is being followed, there is no timeframe for return or change in the process?

it all smacks of a penguin puff piece, trying to give a sense of hope in fans who might otherwise give up on the notion of buying game tickets this forthcoming season!

and IMO, for them to continue on with this press conference despite news of the russian airplane disaster, suggests poor judgement. :thumbsdow

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well the doctor said that Sid will have a long career so only time will tell and I wish Sid all the best and a speedy recovery.

It will be an interesting season and I hope Malkin is 100% for the beginning of the season and who knows what Shero will pull out of his hat this season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts