Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a quick look at the attendances from around the league and it surprised me to see that a full third of the NHL is drawing less than 15,000 per game. There are also 7 teams that are filling less than 80% of their buildings which is an alarming stat, especially St. Louis that is only filling 56% of their rink.

The difference from first (Montreal 21,273) and worst (Islanders 10,768) is greater than the bottom two teams draw on an average night.

ESPN.com - NHL - NHL Attendance

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
WHOA thats suprising to see jersey way down at the bottom. It should say the capacity of each building too. By the way is there a link to show the capacity of each building?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Canuck said:
WHOA thats suprising to see jersey way down at the bottom. It should say the capacity of each building too. By the way is there a link to show the capacity of each building?
New Jersey never has the fans in the arena. They don't even sell out in the playoffs!!

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
panoo2004 said:
New Jersey never has the fans in the arena. They don't even sell out in the playoffs!!
Years ago when they made the conferance finals and stanyley cup they had a packed arena but they never do anymore. They have a great team i dont know why they dont sell.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Canuck said:
Years ago when they made the conferance finals and stanyley cup they had a packed arena but they never do anymore. They have a great team i dont know why they dont sell.
I don't know either? :dunno: The thing that gets me, if this was happening in Canada,
the teams would be moved already!!!

Next September, New Jersey is opening a new arena, so they better
hope things pick up!!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the new New Jersey Devils will draw much better than the current New Jeresy Devils. Being out of the Meadowlands and into Newark an actual city can only help these guys.

As for capacities if you take the average attendance number x it by 100 and divide by the capacity % then you'll see the total capacity for each NHL team.

For example the St. Louis Blues are at 10,813 and 56.8% of their building. So take the 10,813 multiply it by 100 (1081300) and divide by 56.8 to get an arena max of 19,037.

There's your NHL math for the day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts